Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v3.0! (FW15.03)

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everybody,

(for those who haven't seen the old v2.0 post, I recommend taking a look there for soundclips and comments by actual Metallica guitar techs! here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-tonematches-patches-extravaganza-v2-0-a.html)

I decided to re-do all of my Metallica tonematches and presets.
Simply updating the amps with the update function in the utillity menu isn't enough.
While I'm at it I'm going to add more riffs and lead sounds that I previously haven't tonematched.

Yesterday I got my new guitar in the mail that is perfect for Metallica stuff, a LTD KH-602.
Great guitar!
I'm going to be using that to capture Kirk's lead tones (for songs in E mostly because of the Floyd Rose).
My Jim Root telecasters equipped with and EMG 81 and EMG 60 will be used for most of the riffs and also songs in lower tunings.

I'm just going to go over every album like I did previously so I will upload everything chronologically.
For now I'm not going to release soundclips, you can still listen to the old soundcloud links in the old post.
Anyway, here we go, the first album:

-Kill 'em all
Metallica_-_Kill_'Em_All_cover.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc8tzp6exr7izs4/Guitarjon's Metallica Presets FW15.03 Kill 'em all.rar

This album Rar consists of these tones:

-Hit The Lights (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's lead tone)
-Metal Militia (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's lead tone)
-Motorbreath (Rhythm left and right)
-No Remorse (Rhythm left and right)
-Phantom Lord (Rhythm right)
-Seek & Destroy (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's lead tone)
-The Four Horsemen (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's lead tones also left and right)
-Whiplash (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's lead tone)

I used an EMG equipped guitar to capture these tones just to keep everything consistent.
These tones are all really accurate.
I hope you have fun playing the tones.

Edit: possibly an important note:
the guitar I'm using for the rhythm stuff (Fender Jim Root) has higher output than my KH-602 eventhough they have the same pick-ups (EMG's).
This may be because of the fact that the Fender only has one volume pot.
If you are not getting enough gain in your patches raise your input trim to 1.5 as a start!
For all Kirk's parts that are in standard tuning (the first 5 albums, Death Magnetic and some songs on Garage Inc.) my LTD KH602 was used but this guitar had a bit lower output so the gain will be different on those.
Just use your ears to find the right amount of gain/trim in order to get the best results for your guitar and playing style.

Last edited:
I thought I'd do antoher one today!
Here is the 2nd album:

-Ride The Lightning:
Metallica_-_Ride_the_Lightning_cover.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkzz3jnx0...allica presets FW15.03 Ride the lightning.rar

This album rar consists of these tones:

-Call Of Ktulu (Intro clean tone)
-Creeping Death (Rhythm left and right, kirk's solo and harmony lead)
-Escape (Kirk's solo)
-Fade To Black (Rhythm left, right and sum (for a good overall sound) Kirk's intro solo and Kirk's outro solo)
-Fight Fire With Fire (Rhythm left, harmony lead and Kirk's solo)
-For Whom The Bell Tolls (Rhythm left and right and harmony lead)
-Ride The Lightning (Rhythm left and right + Kirk's solo)

These also turned out great!
I hope you enjoy!

Jon is da man! Please check out his kick ass band and support the dude by buying their stuff. Their music is most worthy of that!

Please visit the following link:

Raptor

Thanks for your great work Jon and making rocking way more fun! I have that same guitar you just received and love it. I am so pumped to try it with your new patches.

Have a great weekend (i am pumped for Master!). Oh and I have Metallica next Friday night in Montreal! That is going to be so awesome.

Last edited:
Yes! I've been waiting for this moment since FW 15 came out! Your patches were so good on 14 that I held off updating for a long time. Thanks so much, and looking forward to the rest of them :)

Ok! I did the 3rd album today!
I managed to capture loads of sounds.
Kirk's lead sounds turned out great!
I recommend trying all the sounds for there is a lot of diversity!

-Master of puppets
Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/99qgp3if8...tallica presets FW15.03 Master of puppets.rar

This album features these sounds:

-Battery (Rhythm left and right, bridge lead riff, intro harmony and Kirk's solos)
-Damage Inc. (Rhythm left and right)
-Disposable Heroes (Rhythm left and right, intro lead wah, pre-chorus lead and Kirk's solo)
-Master Of Puppets (Rhythm left and right, clean bridge, harmony left and right, intro break Kirk, James solo, Kirk's solo)
-Orion (Rhythm left and right, bridge harmony lead and Kirk's solos)
-The Thing That Should Not Be (Rhythm left and right, clean intro and Kirk's solo)
-Welcome Home (Rhythm left and right, clean intro, end harmony and kirk's solos)

It's crazy how much more room for improvement there is and how many tones there still are to capture.
Once again, I recommend using EMG pickups!

Great work, thank you Sir!

Just wondering, why did you used Marshalls for Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning tone matches? Were these amps used by Metallica?

Please, do James' live heavy and clean presets...

I am planning to do this after the albums.
I'll have to find some good clips in the tuning room video's and/or the live stuff from the metontour video's.
If you hear a good isolated part in one of the video's, let me know!

Back
Top Bottom