Metallica tonematch/preset extravaganza Quantum edition Vol.4!!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hello everybody!

So for the past year or 2 I've been getting a lot of requests for new Metallica tonematches.
I decided that now that Quantum 2(.01) is out would be a great time to revisit all those great classic Metallica guitar tones.
These presets have been made with Quantum 2.01 so you probably can't use them if you are on a firmware that's older.
Also, since I now only own an Axe Fx XL+ these presets are only XL compatible.
I hope that soon Cliff will implement a new feature to Cab Lab that will enable Axe FX mk1 and 2 guys to also open these presets.

For everybody who is new to this I recommend checking the 2 older threads for more info (also posts from Metallica's actual guitar techs Chad and Justin).
Vol.2:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/metallica-tonematches-patches-extravaganza-v2-0.83050/
Vol.3:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/metallica-tonematches-patches-extravaganza-v3-0-fw15-03.89078/

I'm going to do this album by album so today we're starting with the first album, 'Kill 'Em All.
For consistency's sake I'm only going to use my EMG equipped guitars because most Metallica fans use EMG's anyways.
If you feel that your own guitar needs more or less gain just turn the input trim knob on the amp up or down to compensate.
No 2 guitars sound the same (this also counts for EMG equipped guitars) so you may also have to add some EQ before the amp to maybe boost or cut some lows.
Just trust you ears.
However, I do hope that most of these presets will work for you from the get go.

I used these guitars:

-Fender Jim Root Telecaster (for rhythm parts in E)
-PRS Torero (for lead parts in E
-ESP Eclipse-I (for rhythm parts lower than E)
-LTD KH-602 (for lead parts lower than E)

A lot of people here have offered me money for these presets.
I don't like to sell these presets and ask money for them but making these presets costs a lot of time so I decided to accept donations.
If you want you can support this tonematching project by donating to my PayPal account.
You can do so here:
paypal.me/guitarjon

If that doesn't work in your country you can donate directly to my PayPal with this account:
jonsymonsutrecht@hotmail.com

I'm not sure how long it will take to do all the albums but probably not too long.
I have a job, a band and a daughter to raise so I have to find time for this project.
Don't worry though, lets just keep this thread alive!

This time for vol.1 I added a few presets that have been labeled as 'ideal'.
Those are presets selected by me that give a good representation of the album sound.
Every track has a slightly different sound so I just picked the ones that sounded the best to me and maybe tweaked them here and there.
These presets are featured in the audio clip below.

The tones on this album are pretty raw and kind of nasty but that all contributes to the charm of this record.
Just turn up your speakers and play along with the record and you'll hear and feel how accurate these presets are.

If you want to upload you own audio or video clips using these presets, please do so!
It would be very cool to see/hear and it will help to keep this thread going.

So here we go!
If you have any questions about these presets just drop them here.
Enjoy the first edition!

Metallica%20art%20vol1.jpg

Here is a quick audio demo clip that I recorded with the 3 'ideal' presets:

Doc280 was kind enough to export the blocks for non XL users on post 22.

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2zuhr0qd2kbyyo/Guitarjon's AXE FX XL+ Quantum Metallica Tonematches vol1.rar?dl=0

Last edited:
Sample sounds amazing, damn good job! But... is there any chance for exported blocks for non-XL users? :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

This may sound really stupid but how the hell do you open a .rar file. Somebody sent me a link the other day to a .rar file and I couldn't get it to open. Is this a zipped file that needs to be extracted because I tried and I don't even get an option to extract when I right click the file. Do I need a certain program? I've downloaded the above file to my dropbox but can't open it. Maybe somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

This may sound really stupid but how the hell do you open a .rar file. Somebody sent me a link the other day to a .rar file and I couldn't get it to open. Is this a zipped file that needs to be extracted because I tried and I don't even get an option to extract when I right click the file. Do I need a certain program? I've downloaded the above file to my dropbox but can't open it. Maybe somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

You need Winrar http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Hope some of you are enjoying these.

For the guys with an Axe FX II mk 1 or 2, I'm sorry but I don't own one of those anymore so I can't make presets.
Exporting blocks and all that just would be too time consuming for me now I'm afraid.
It would also make for a lot of blocks to load.
It wouldn't be easy and fun.
Maybe someone out there who owns both an XL or XL+ and a MK 1 or 2 could make conversions if he/she has time?
I'd rather spend the time I have on making these presets as good as possible.

I'm looking forward to doing the next album.

Exporting the tone match block, and with some screen captures, we may be able to build the presets.
Hope some of you are enjoying these.

For the guys with an Axe FX II mk 1 or 2, I'm sorry but I don't own one of those anymore so I can't make presets.
Exporting blocks and all that just would be too time consuming for me now I'm afraid.
It would also make for a lot of blocks to load.
It wouldn't be easy and fun.
Maybe someone out there who owns both an XL or XL+ and a MK 1 or 2 could make conversions if he/she has time?
I'd rather spend the time I have on making these presets as good as possible.

I'm looking forward to doing the next album.

You are doing more than enough already, making those wonderfull presets.

We will wait for another user to make us the favour.

Holy cow Jon I gave these presets a quick test on lunch break through headphones and wow! cant wait to get home tonight and crank these through my cabs, so looking forward to the other album presets. I never want to move off of this firmware now lol Donation coming for each release! made my week :)

Holy cow Jon I gave these presets a quick test on lunch break through headphones and wow! cant wait to get home tonight and crank these through my cabs, so looking forward to the other album presets. I never want to move off of this firmware now lol Donation coming for each release! made my week :)
Thanks again mate!
I appreciate it! :)

Your sample audio sounds really cool. Excellent job on these!

I wish Fractal would finally come up with a conversion for presets. I've bought a Standard, an Ultra and now have a MkII. All bought new from Fractal. I don't want to buy another just to be current. Sorry for my rant :)

Just to clarify - as far as I know all the blocks in preset are exported to the blocks library as *.blk files organized in folder named after preset name with just one click using "Save as Blocks in Library" option from the Preset menu in Axe-Edit... so there's really nothing time consuming ;) Same goes for screenshot of every preset's layout ;)

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely respect your awesome work with 'Tallica presets and all the precious time you've dedicated to make them. If it's too much to you to export your presets for non-XL users, that's totally cool! If I'm not mistaken I have read somewhere on forum that you've just became a father, so in that case it would be really bold to expect it from you, especially after all the effort you've made already and declared about the remaining albums... KUDOS!

I guess we - the lesser ones ;) - will have to wait for gesture of mercy from other, less occupied XL user :rolleyes:

that sounds awseome man !! the main reason i got my self an AXE FX was for those metallica patches as am a big metallica fan !! can't wait for the other albums \m/ ! i would love to donate and support your hard work but it keep saying "PayPal.Me isn't available in your country." if there is a way that i can i for sure i will

Please, help...presets are not loading...i have a XL with Q 2.0 ... What am i missing? Nothing is showing up. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom