Metallica Test

cyoung

I've had my Axe-Fx Standard for about a year now and have always done direct recording. Now I'm starting to explore the possibilities of running the Axe-Fx into a power amp. So I picked up a Carvin DCM200L. Ran the Axe-Fx into the Carvin and then into a Marshall 1960A 4x12. I liked it and it sounded more like a real amp but I still wasn't satisfied. After doing more research online about power amps and such, I saw that people were running their Axe-Fx into the effects loop of their guitar amp.

I have a Mesa/Boogie .50 cal + sitting around so I thought I would try that setup and see how it sounded. That way I could take advantage of the power amp section (which would hopefilly give me a more tubey sound). This time I ran the Axe-Fx into the effects return of the .50 cal + and then into the Marshall cab. Once again, it sounded much better than the solid state Carvin poweramp setup.

I've always wanted to get a Mesa/Boogie cabinet again so I ordered a Roadster 2x12 closed back with V30 speakers. The test you are about to hear is the Axe-Fx (with the recto New amp) --> Mesa/Boogie .50 cal + (effects return) --> Mesa/Boogie Roadster 2X12 mic'd with a Shure 57 straight at the cone (an inch off the cloth).

The drums, bass, and vocals are multi track masters that I found online. I'm looking for feedback on the rhythm guitars. The mix is not great as it was only a test. The rhythm was quad tracked with 2 different recto patches. I think it sounds pretty good and more like a real tube amp.

As much as I like the .50 cal +, I don't really care for the effects loop as I think it changes the sound of what runs through it. I can't really explain it, but when I had a Mark IV, what you placed in the effects loop was very clean sounding. With that being said, I'm thinking about eithor getting an Atomic Monoblock or a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I'm leaning toward the Dual Recto because if I want the real recto sound than I can use that. If I want a Marshall or Bogner sound then I can use the Axe-Fx in the effects loop. Just wondering what other think about this and any feedback on the recorded tones would be great too.

I haven't heard about this. So people are taking their fractal and running through a tube heads FX loop? So I have a Peavey XXX Head and respeakered cab. People are using there patches minus the cab patch and seeing how it sounds with the addition of the actual tubes?

Edgecrusher71,

Yes, basically I have a patch that has a drive block, amp block, PE block, and cab block. The output of this is going to OUT1. On the next row under the cab block I have an effects loop block. A connection is made from the amp block to the effects loop block. This sends the signal to OUT2.

Check out this Wiki page for using your Axe Fx with a guitar amp:
Axe-Fx Wiki Manual - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom