Metallica Seek and Destroy

rtcook

Experienced
Anybody know what reverb to use in this song assuming reverb is what I hear.

Thanks,

Roger

Anybody care to point me in the right direction? I'm really unsure of effects. I can hear them, but not sure of which one it is as I never really used effects. I always play dry. I want to learn more about effects.

Thanks

For this, first thing for a recording will be to double track the guitars. NOT copy, but actually double the parts. This will immediately open up the sound. James is actually an excellent player and his rhythms are amazingly tight. However, the tracking will be one piece of the puzzle.
The original recording was done in '82-'83 and they weren't HUGE and produced back then. It could easily be just the guitars tracked, maybe even more than twice. If you listen with headphones, you can hear the 2 guitars.
They may have added effects after the tracking was done... but not during. The slight difference in the 2 guitars is what causes the sound you're hearing, not reverb (but what do I know, I can't hear much anymore).

If you want to try out some effects, go for it. Mix them in slowly so they don't overpower the sound. Obviously there are some songs that have distinctive effects, however Seek and Destroy is the best example.
Good Luck

Thanks for the information/history. I will play around with it and see what happens. Sounds difficult to emulate.

A good little trick to reproduce the seek and destroy kind of distorted phase-ish tone that I use on the fly when jamming is to use a delay to get that doubled guitar sound. Set it really shallow with short time and feedback near off, then adjust the level. This sort of offsets the end of your signal to mimic the inconsistencies of 2 guitars. Many pros do this as well. Try it you may be surprised!!

Back
Top Bottom