AFIII Metallica - "Orion" cover

kostein

Inspired
Metallica's Orion is truly a masterpiece. I don't use that word lightly or often or for many things but I honestly believe it applies here. It is so masterfully crafted that I can't really put it into words. It's a very special song to me and I think it kinda shows when I play it. I tried to my best of my abilities to give it justice with this cover and even though nothing can touch the original, I am proud of the result. I only hope you enjoy it as much as did making it. 🤘

Some info about the recording... Guitars and bass were done with the Axe-FX 2. This marks the first time I quad tracked the guitars. It happened organically as I was trying to emulate the tone of the original. I started with two tracks of ENGL Powerball panned hard left/right and then I added two tracks of Mesa Dual Recto panned 80% left/right to give me that low end that I felt it was missing. I also used the Recto for all the solos and lead parts including the interlude. For the drums I used the same kit I used for my Master of Puppets cover - Metal Foundry SDX custom preset - albeit mixed a little bit differently.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Very well done man and awesome playing and tone! You could tell you where enjoying yourself. You had the stank face when the riffs get nasty🤘🏼

Thank you guys for all the feedback! I put a lot of effort into this and it's really cool to get a feel for how it's perceived by fellow guitarists.

I loved this song in the 80s, i used to listen to it probably every morning in the school bus...
Reminds me so much things ^^
Great playing and sound, thanks for reminding me it !
Why didn't you use your Axefx3 ?

I actually recorded this before I got the III but never got around making a video for it until recently. It sounds great to my ears so I never felt the need to re-do it with the III :)

Very well done man and awesome playing and tone! You could tell you where enjoying yourself. You had the stank face when the riffs get nasty🤘🏼

Thanks man! I honestly can't help it whenever I play it. 🤘 I feel like it's one of those songs that speak to my soul, or something like that :p We all have songs that do that or something similar and Orion is one of them for me.

Tone and playing are spot on, great job.

You mention you tracked it with the Axe 2...but in the vid, it looks like your Axe III is 'lighting up' and you're playing through that?
And if you're not playing through the Axe III, then why is it posted in the Axe III recordings section?
Just wondering if that is a typo and you did track this with the Axe III?

Tone and playing are spot on, great job.

You mention you tracked it with the Axe 2...but in the vid, it looks like your Axe III is 'lighting up' and you're playing through that?
And if you're not playing through the Axe III, then why is it posted in the Axe III recordings section?
Just wondering if that is a typo and you did track this with the Axe III?
I actually tracked this with the 2, just a few weeks before I got the 3 but never got around making a video for it. I thought I posted it in the correct forum, my bad. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom