Metallica Meltdown

We know tha there will always be critics of anything- any time, any place- my wife says I'm WAY to critical and should focus on the positive.

Okay, I POSITIVELY usually dislike ANY mix of a rock band on TV, it doesn't sound any good to my ears compared
to live since I've heard live rock music since the early 60's. Live is usually SO much better to my ears and soul.

Metallica is NOT a favorite band of mine, Metal is not my favorite music, Kirk is NOT a fave and James is NOT a fave.

That said, I enjoyed their performance and got chills at 5:12 after Lang Lang had played his interlude-POWERFUL!!! The change-up
from a grand piano sound to a full blown rock band sound was awesome!

I would have LOVED to heard the performance in person, maybe the mix was better in the audience?

Kudos to the band and certainly to Fractal, I personally agree that this is BIG for Fractal and am so happy for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be a huge fan, but nowadays this is what I think of when I hear about them: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3230/3295291477_48cfb41099.jpg
Good one...

3295291477_48cfb41099.jpg

I've got a fairly expensive home theater speaker system and the show sounded so good, it was a let down to hear their set. It was noticeably lower in quality of the acts before and after.

As to why? Who knows? They may have been one of the only acts to play without tracks? lol Actually McCartney's set sounded absolutely great. Drum sounds were outstanding and I don't think he was using tracks / samples.

The pop / rap stuff sounded amazing. The low end was just mixed so so well. Basslines and 808's sounded huge but not woofy.

Lets see.....Live performance....Not tracked/lipsynced like just about EVERY other act on the Grammy's. Incorporated a classical pianist with a metal band...Hmm, So what are we all comparing this too? It's f$*kin rock and roll man--(or Metal :))
Not their best performance or mix, but really, does it matter??? I know I would kill to be on that stage, part of an imperfect performance instead of sitting on the interwebz throwing negativity and insults for a poor production, less than perfect performance.. but I guess we all must play perfectly every gig...
Oh, And I don't even really like Metallica...

HAhahah... how can anyone say Kirk played the solo wrong? It's his F**KING Song! lol

He could play mary had a little lamb as the solo and it'll still be their song "one". If you did it... yep you'd be playing it wrong.

I'm not a big fan of them, but hey... it is what it is. That ending sounded like my radio was stuck between a classical station and a rock station haha.

Bottomline - Metallica should just be glad Jethro Tull wasn't there this year BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was fine, I'm surprised everybody looks past James' vocals. To me, that's the most glaring atrocity in the whole performance. They were fine, at least they sang and played their own instruments.

Gorilla;981968Bottomline - Metallica should just be glad Jethro Tull wasn't there this year BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/QUOTE said:
priceless:)

Did Lars ever get his shark tank?:p(sorry, couldn't resist).

More like the internet isn't a good place to visit if you don't like dealing with people that are obsessed with treating it like it's nothing more than a soapbox for expounding negativity.

It seems people cant wait to put Metallica down any chance they get, maybe I will wait until they are playing the Grammys so I can put them down online.
If you don't like watching something try changing the channel or turning the tv off.

There is a fair amount in this thread blaming the mix not the band too.

Anybody that has played enough shows has had a bad night. It goes with being a performer.

In my experience, the cats that diss acts and styles of music, usually have some issues of their own and a chip on their shoulder.

There is a great understanding and camaraderie in the pro world among lots of people doing all sorts of different styles of music.

My mother would yell at me when I was a kid, "this is why we cant have nice things"...

Also, Hetfield is 50. I can only hope to be kicking so much ass at 50.

I just realized what the REAL problem was... Lang Lang's smiling was waaaaayy too much.... waaaayy too happy for that song.

I think their performance sounded better than some other live recordings I heard, even back in the 90's. Its exactly what I expect from them.

When I actually went to their concert in '98, it was so loud it actually sounded really good (I was 15 at the time - so obviously I didnt technically/critically analyse anything at that time, unlike all us old farts do here).

I'm pretty sure the guys at the grammys liked it.

I watched "One" live in Seattle 1989 tonight on youtube and cranked it in my home theatre. THAT is the metallica I remember and love. No comparison. I really needed to see that after listening to last nights performance .

I watched "One" live in Seattle 1989 tonight on youtube and cranked it in my home theatre. THAT is the metallica I remember and love. No comparison. I really needed to see that after listening to last nights performance .

Yep, sad to say shortly after this things slipped away........

It's the grammys for one thing. Not exactly a fire breathing thrash metal crowd so if I was Metallica I may not be super frickin' stoked coming out there. Then we've got the frickin' tragic decision to feature a pianist to play along with a song that they've already played at the same event years ago. Yeah; I'd be super frickin' moist for that.

I've heard better, I've heard worse, but it is what it what it is. You're basically trying to create a completely new sonic structure in a live environment; totally different frequency spectrum and crap and people are wondering why it doesn't sound like their live performance from 1987 or something. It's not.

Back
Top Bottom