AFIII Metallica - "Master of Puppets" cover

kostein

Inspired
If you're gonna cover one Metallica song, it may very well be the title track from their iconic Master of Puppets album. I've been putting off doing a Metallica cover for so long since I knew I wanted to do this song before anything else and I wanted to give it my best as I'm a huge Metallifan. Putting it off was a blessing in disguise though as I eventually got to collab with Vasos and Kypros, who happen to be not only good friends of mine but brilliant musicians as well. So instead of an instrumental, you get the whole package, which I am extremely pleased with! I hope you'll enjoy as much as we did making it! 🤘

Here's some info about how this was recorded for those who might be interested in that. All guitars and bass were recorded using Fractals, most of them with the AFX2 and a couple with the AFX3. For the main rhythm tone I used my venerable AFX2 6505+ patch 💪 I'm not sure what I used for the cleans as I regretably never saved the preset 😕. For the melody part I used one of my AFX2 Dual Recto 2 presets while both the solos were done with the AFX3 Dual Recto 1. For the drums I used Superior Drummer's The Metal Foundry SDX, utilizing a custom preset.

edit: Added the main rhythm preset. I'm running FW14 on my AFX2 so I don't know how it sounds with the latest firmware.

Attachments

• Peavey 6505+ v.2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Glad you liked it guys! We really had so much fun making this and having a positive response makes it even better. Thank you, much appreciated!

Awesome job guys! Love that this was done with a sense of humor as well - the scene at 0:55 made me laugh. :D

Yeah we don't take ourselves too seriously :laughing: We take what we do seriously but we try to have fun while doing it, otherwise what's the point?

Beautiful! Watching this reinforces the idea I need to relax a lot more when I'm trying to play this song. I get all "Hnnngggghhhh!" on Metallica songs, and it really holds me back, especially this one.

Thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it! 🤘

That was badass!

my all time favorite song/album you guys did amazing!

Did you have an isolated drum/bass track?
I recorded the bass with the Axe and I programmed the drums in Cubase. I used a custom kit from The Metal Foundry library of Superior Drummer and really tried to give it a hint of vibe from the original. Here's some other random info about it, originally I was planning to use Hetfield's isolated vocal track but fortunately when I told Vasos about it he told me he was keen on doing the vocals himself instead of using the isolated track. And I'm so glad he did :cool:

Incredible job!! Any chance we can get the patch!??
Yeah I'll upload it as soon as I can.

Beautiful! Watching this reinforces the idea I need to relax a lot more when I'm trying to play this song. I get all "Hnnngggghhhh!" on Metallica songs, and it really holds me back, especially this one.
I totally know what you mean! If I don't play something that requires intensive right hand work for a while it happens to me also. Songs like Blackened and Disposable Heroes can be brutal if my arm is not up for the challenge lol :laughing:

I just added the main rhythm preset on the original post. I'm running FW14 on my AFX2 so I don't know how it sounds with the latest firmware. Hopefully it still sounds killer!

What setting were you using on the beverage?

Tune sounded wicked good. Fishmans seem to be all the rage post Bare Knuckle but I love the sound of EMG's as much as anything, so articulate.

What setting were you using on the beverage?

Tune sounded wicked good. Fishmans seem to be all the rage post Bare Knuckle but I love the sound of EMG's as much as anything, so articulate.
LOL the too much caffeine setting :laughing:

Glad you liked it, much appreciated! I'm not much of a pickup connoisseur but I absolute love what I get out of the EMG 81.

If you're gonna cover one Metallica song, it may very well be the title track from their iconic Master of Puppets album. I've been putting off doing a Metallica cover for so long since I knew I wanted to do this song before anything else and I wanted to give it my best as I'm a huge Metallifan. Putting it off was a blessing in disguise though as I eventually got to collab with Vasos and Kypros, who happen to be not only good friends of mine but brilliant musicians as well. So instead of an instrumental, you get the whole package, which I am extremely pleased with! I hope you'll enjoy as much as we did making it! 🤘

Here's some info about how this was recorded for those who might be interested in that. All guitars and bass were recorded using Fractals, most of them with the AFX2 and a couple with the AFX3. For the main rhythm tone I used my venerable AFX2 6505+ patch 💪 I'm not sure what I used for the cleans as I regretably never saved the preset 😕. For the melody part I used one of my AFX2 Dual Recto 2 presets while both the solos were done with the AFX3 Dual Recto 1. For the drums I used Superior Drummer's The Metal Foundry SDX, utilizing a custom preset.

edit: Added the main rhythm preset. I'm running FW14 on my AFX2 so I don't know how it sounds with the latest firmware.

I did not know Axe fx 2 had firm ware 14? I thought that was axe fx 3 firm ware

Back
Top Bottom