Metallica live tone needed

Interesting the combination of 2 amps
Milo has a video where he shows the VH4 so maybe combing the one Leon shows in the video and this one may make a great tone!!

Specifically, changing X/Y states on the Amp block will incur a gap. I have not experienced, nor heard of any other audio gap on the Axe Fx II with any other switching. In fact, the whole purpose of scenes was to be able to avoid any dropout when switching.

This is likely a confirmation (as mentioned above) that they are using dual amp setups. Because otherwise they could just switch between Amp blocks.

The VERY reason I want 3 or 4 amp blocks. I wanna run a clean rig and a dual dirt rig and have gapless switching via scenes.

The VERY reason I want 3 or 4 amp blocks. I wanna run a clean rig and a dual dirt rig and have gapless switching via scenes.
That comment was relative to the Axe Fx II... The Axe Fx III doesn't have X/Y, it has Channels, and they switch way faster. There is still a gap, but it's about the same as a real amp changing channels.

I’d just buy a second unit if you really, really, really need dual amp rigs and completely gapless switching. Seemingly was the solution for Metallica, at least at one point in time.

Be curious to see if they switch to the III’s and if so, if they stick with dual units, or if one unit with channels can satisfy their needs.

If so, I’d argue that if the switching is ‘acceptible’ for the likes of Metallica, it should also be perfectly useable for those of us who aren’t doing arena tours.

Still though, there is a certain amount of complexity in setup that dual units could bring to the table which might be tough to match even if, and it’s a huge “if” there is a 3rd amp block.

Specifically, changing X/Y states on the Amp block will incur a gap. I have not experienced, nor heard of any other audio gap on the Axe Fx II with any other switching. In fact, the whole purpose of scenes was to be able to avoid any dropout when switching.

This is likely a confirmation (as mentioned above) that they are using dual amp setups. Because otherwise they could just switch between Amp blocks.
i believe JH uses II C++ and diezel models together for his dirty sound

That comment was relative to the Axe Fx II... The Axe Fx III doesn't have X/Y, it has Channels, and they switch way faster. There is still a gap, but it's about the same as a real amp changing channels.

I find quite a huge gap on on my axe 3 when switching the amp block between channels. Same for the cab block. It's a lot more than a real amp switching channels. It's not subtle when your entire tone drops out while it switches.

i believe JH uses II C++ and diezel models together for his dirty sound
You guys know if Kirk combines these 2 as well?
I am more bothered to get his tone as I really love how he sounds with a Les Paul and this is how I will play him as I don't own any guitar with active pups anyway

I am more bothered to get his tone as I really love how he sounds with a Les Paul and this is how I will play him as I don't own any guitar with active pups anyway

As far as I know, Kirk used a mix of Mesa Recto and Randall before switching to Fractal. Not sure what modelling approach he particularly uses now in Fractal. Likely dual amp setup too, but unsure of models.

Regarding pickups, as far as i am aware, Kirk uses active EMGs in most of his guitars, if not all. Many of his non-ESP guitars, like the Les Paul he has been using on Fade to Black and other songs for ages were equipped with EMG sets. He may use some with stock pickups though. Not entirely sure on this one.

I find quite a huge gap on on my axe 3 when switching the amp block between channels. Same for the cab block. It's a lot more than a real amp switching channels. It's not subtle when your entire tone drops out while it switches.
I haven't tried it for a while, but last time I did it was quite fast... Much faster than X/Y on the Axe Fx II.

I know the feeling... I had a real problem with Amp X/Y on the II and stopped using it.

I don't know what models Kirk uses, but the main difference between their tones is that James' is brighter and has more attack and Kirk's is warmer and fatter. USA IIC++ would still be a great choice, just EQ it different. I wouldn't worry too much about having the right pickups.

I would love to see a nice preset with a great blend of the Diezel and the 2C++ to mimic James’s tone. I’m an Axe Fx 3 newb so I won’t volunteer just yet but it would be cool to see if some folks here can try and put this together!

I would love to see a nice preset with a great blend of the Diezel and the 2C++ to mimic James’s tone. I’m an Axe Fx 3 newb so I won’t volunteer just yet but it would be cool to see if some folks here can try and put this together!

Give it a try. You can’t break anything.

Let's get the ball rolling!

First pass at a USAIIC++ and VH4 mixed together:

Attachments

• AlbertA's VH4 + Mesa USAIIC++.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 187
Let's get the ball rolling!

First pass at a USAIIC++ and VH4 mixed together:

Mate that is awesome, as a constructive critic (I am away so I can only judge on the audio, I cannot load on my axe) I miss a little but of low end (maybe is my speakers)
Would be nice to see how it sounds on lead tones.
Thanks for the contribution and let's keep the ball rolling, I wanted to put together the ones Leon made and see how they behave as well :)

Back
Top Bottom