Metallica GRAMMYs Taylor Swift

A popular meme going about says that "To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable," and is attributed to Beethoven. There's a lot to be said about the difference between one wrong note, and doing enough of it to detract from a performance.

I know I'm not in Metallica, but I know I can do those first "One" solos better justice (no pun intended) than Kirk did in that performance, as would a lot of people on this forum. There's a smidgin of 'emperors new clothes' that goes on sometimes, saying 'don't dare criticise them because they're professionals'. Well, if someone is doing a shoddy job they should have it pointed out. Lang Lang missed a cue, but it didn't detract from his performance at all. James' vocals weren't top notch either, but he has the passion and power to carry it off. Those first licks are the lynch point of the songs lead guitar work. Get those right and the rest will follow. His fast solo was blistering though! See, he can carry it off and do an immense job of it! That's why I was disappointed. He's not a crap guitar player, and he can write and has written extraordinarily brilliant solos.

It's kinda like the first solo on 'Comfortably Numb'. Hit that first solo right and you're onto a winner no matter what you do with the rest of it. Mess it up, and .... whoooooo-eeee!!!

This is all IMHO, by the way! :) I love EDM also, and have done since Aphex Twin and Orbital laid the foundations back in the 90's.

A popular meme going about says that "To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable," and is attributed to Beethoven. There's a lot to be said about the difference between one wrong note, and doing enough of it to detract from a performance.

I know I'm not in Metallica, but I know I can do those first "One" solos better justice (no pun intended) than Kirk did in that performance, as would a lot of people on this forum. There's a smidgin of 'emperors new clothes' that goes on sometimes, saying 'don't dare criticise them because they're professionals'. Well, if someone is doing a shoddy job they should have it pointed out. Lang Lang missed a cue, but it didn't detract from his performance at all. James' vocals weren't top notch either, but he has the passion and power to carry it off. Those first licks are the lynch point of the songs lead guitar work. Get those right and the rest will follow. His fast solo was blistering though! See, he can carry it off and do an immense job of it! That's why I was disappointed. He's not a crap guitar player, and he can write and has written extraordinarily brilliant solos.

It's kinda like the first solo on 'Comfortably Numb'. Hit that first solo right and you're onto a winner no matter what you do with the rest of it. Mess it up, and .... whoooooo-eeee!!!

This is all IMHO, by the way! :) I love EDM also, and have done since Aphex Twin and Orbital laid the foundations back in the 90's.

I got ya.

I'm just disappointed that it was Katy perry summoning Satan and not Metallica. Rock n roll is in the shitter folks. Oh and Beyoncé's leather butt floss twat cover was in really bad taste.

Sarcasm isn't necessary. I mentioned nothing about not working with Metallica.

A company should do its best to filter what demonstrates their product as much as they can (user youtube videos can't be controlled...but I bet you 1000 bucks gear makers sure wish they could!). Everything reflects back upon Fractal.

I bet you no one in the audience knew they where using the Axe Fx, we know because we where told. Bad sound and bad performance in and will not be a responsibility of Fractal, its been proven beyond anything it can make killer sounds, but in the end its the user that has the last hand on the patch.

That performance is a great example of terrible mixing.

I bet you no one in the audience knew they where using the Axe Fx, we know because we where told. Bad sound and bad performance in and will not be a responsibility of Fractal, its been proven beyond anything it can make killer sounds, but in the end its the user that has the last hand on the patch.

That performance is a great example of terrible mixing.

I know the FAS bashers will try and use this as ammunition against the Axe, but I wonder if they were using Diezel and Mesa amps, would they blame (what they perceive as) a bad guitar sound on the Mesa and Diezel amps?

Just food for thought! :)

I know I'm not in Metallica, but I know I can do those first "One" solos better justice (no pun intended) than Kirk did in that performance, as would a lot of people on this forum. There's a smidgin of 'emperors new clothes' that goes on sometimes, saying 'don't dare criticise them because they're professionals'. Well, if someone is doing a shoddy job they should have it pointed out.

Totally agree.

Everyone here defending Kirk....go listen again.
He's been playing hat song for 27 years!!!!
You can call me a hack all day long....but it doesn't take me more than 27 years to perfect a solo.
James carries him....period.

Sarcasms are like orgasms.

Necessary. Highly enjoyable.

Rest of the world? Not sure what you're referring to guy from another country that people line up around the block to get visas, come here and get a piece of awesome. Give us your tired and your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be fkn badass.

'Merka!

The capital of the known universe is NYC.

No, he hasn't.

"Every Nails tour I’ve done, there’s been a different rig built. This one we’re doing now (the Tension 2013 tour) there’s no audio on the stage; it’s just a midi-switcher. In the rack offstage is a Kemper Profiler and that’s basically my amp source. I’ve got three drawers of pedals that live in the RJM switching system."

The rig has moved on to Fractal for 2014. :) M@ knows of what he speaks about man.

Axe FX is taking over the world. And i'm so glad to be a filthy, under dwelling minion. Well done everyone at Fractal.

Where's the bass? I don't hear any, and neither does my subwoofer.

There's a little in the kick, but that's about it!

Got to love the hunger and 'point to prove' that oozes form them at that stage in their career - it's easy to see how they got the level they did... but it's hard (read: impossible) to retain that inner, base-level hunger for decades

Umm... throwback:

Just be happy that your style of music is being represented at all, because it hasn't been, for awhile now. And yes enjoy it when someone you idolize uses the same cool tool as you.

I think the 80s thrash scene is pretty small on this forum. F.ex. my genre is closer to Taylor Swift... except I understand that the last thing this planet needs is another love song and girls whining why someone took advantage of them. Stop putting out that easily and stop that s***! :D

she can't sing very well. stays on pitch, but her range is so limited and is a very weak singer. i always here the compressors working to boost her volume and she always stays within 6 or so notes in every song.

she writes all her stuff though and is a performer, so that's cool. but definitely not a "very well" singer in comparison to real singers. IMO.

I'm not a fan of hers but vocal range is not what makes a good vocalist IMO at least. Just good guitarist is not the one playing the most notes cleanly within a second but the guy who can actually write a catchy song with a good meaning. These are ofcourse opinions... but I'm sure she has a wider range than Hetfield f.ex. and I wouldn't even compare the two. Corey Taylor is my favorite and definitely not a huge vocal range. I don't like Beyoncé's overly dramatic annoying vibrato that just kills my ears either but Kanye was right.

I'm a bit concerned for Fractal pushing the newsfeed of Metallica using the Axe Fx. Each of these videos of them playing outfitted with the Axe do not sound very inspirational. I honestly feel this is detrimental to the image of Fractal. We should be real honest with ourselves and understand if the band wasn't named Metallica, these videos would not be worth sharing/discussing.

I say this as an AxeFx lover and someone who really spreads the word to all that I can.

If that's the case then I want to express my sincere gratitude to Metallica for so crappily representing the axe fx. Now I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the price on the axe 2 xl's to plummet. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom