Metallica doing BBS sessions - AFX in evidence

I saw that, they sounded really, really good!! Nice to hear the new material and some really old songs like Harvester too! It's amazing how the presenter asked them to play a random song like Harvester and they still pulled it off without a glitch.

It's measuring sound levels. You can see as lars plays harder it lights up. When James yells at it the same.

Not a Metallica fan .... but a GREAT sound and tone.

I presume that with a session like this, the guitar is a direct feed from the AFX [ with Cabs on obviously ] but for their own monitoring / vibe on stage, is it all IEM or Cabs + Matrix Amps [ with Cab IR off ] or FRFR Cabs or some mix of all ?

Ben

I think the tones for Harvester are better, and I actually like Kirk's a bit better... is he using the AFX also? Wonder what models they are using.

Anyone else notice it's a half step down from the album version?

Or maybe a whole step even, my phone is giving me some crap and its hard to go back and forth.

Or maybe a whole step even, my phone is giving me some crap and its hard to go back and forth.

I know they've been doing the "classics" 1/2 step down for a while. I first become aware of that when they were doing the Puppets tribute in '06. I'm a 1/2 step down guy so I like the added testicular girth.

I think it's in the latest Guitar World were they confirm this. Death Magnetic and Hardwired were recorded in standard, but they've been playing live in Eb for a very long time (maybe since Load/Reload?) since it sounds a little heavier and it's a bit easier for James' voice.

We need some presets from their techs. I would at least like to know what amp Sims they use and what's in their layout chain. that would be awesome.

We need some presets from their techs. I would at least like to know what amp Sims they use and what's in their layout chain. that would be awesome.
The one guitar tech posts here every now and then, but he's tight lipped about the "secret sauce" as I believe he called it.

I'm thinking they are probably tone matching from the album so even with the preset it wouldn't be the same. In the videos for the songs in the studio they had every guitar amp, cab, pedal imaginable and I didn't notice any Axe-FX so I'm assuming they only use it for live.

Back
Top Bottom