METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

On the other hand it sure is easy to belittle and pick apart everything, but I guess the ones armchair critiquing are all perfect pros that never make mistakes, always have a perfect mix, are immune to environmental conditions, and can easily do what Metallica has done, but better right.......

It sounds like a direct live mix, warts and all. Somebody somewhere was mixing this on the fly and iirc they broadcasted it live. No way should anyone hold this to the same standard as a live cd recording. Circumstances were far from ideal.

Comparison Graph of Average Antarctic temperatures........ Just food for thought...... I don't know about you but I live in Phoenix and in the winter here it takes me extra time to warm up and I am playing inside......

It was hard to get the graph to show but the approximate temperature when they played was 2 degrees celsius or 35 degrees fahrenheit..... Damn....:shock

Last edited:
Worst live performance I've ever heard from Metallica. Seen them live three times (Black Album Tour). No comparison. I'm dissapointed like hell. They should retire.

Andy (former Metallica-Fan, incl. everything till & incl. Black Album)
Because of one concert in ice cold conditions wake up to your self.

I am now listening to the livemetallica version.
It actually sounds pretty good!
The tones are spot on with other livemetallica shows, so kudos to m@ and Fractal!
Ofcourse there is a difference in overall sound with other big arena shows with huge pa's and feedback etc.
Still the tones are spot on.
I wouldn't have known that they were not using their regular live rigs if I hadn't read about them using fractals.

I am now listening to the livemetallica version.
It actually sounds pretty good!
The tones are spot on with other livemetallica shows, so kudos to m@ and Fractal!
Ofcourse there is a difference in overall sound with other big arena shows with huge pa's and feedback etc.
Still the tones are spot on.
I wouldn't have known that they were not using their regular live rigs if I hadn't read about them using fractals.

Got a link mate?

It sounds like a direct live mix, warts and all. Somebody somewhere was mixing this on the fly and iirc they broadcasted it live. No way should anyone hold this to the same standard as a live cd recording. Circumstances were far from ideal.

Yes. Also, there seem to be no real live recordings anymore. Every live album and live DVDs these days seems to be re-recorded in the studio, overdubbed etc.

Funkstation777 needs to get a grip, with a side of perspective. How many shows has he done at a camp site?

Yes. Also, there seem to be no real live recordings anymore. Every live album and live DVDs these days seems to be re-recorded in the studio, overdubbed etc.
Indeed.

Can't really blame them. The standards everything is held to these days... They get a total ****storm if stuff isn't perfect. As you can witness mildly here.

And then everything gets downloaded and they don't get paid for it.

Funkstation777 needs to get a grip, with a side of perspective. How many shows has he done at a camp site?

It's funny to blame "bad circumstances" for the bad playin' of Metallica. In Summer two years ago, I played on an open Air Festival in a region in Austria, where it even snows in summer sometimes. We played our Set at + 6 ° Celsius, and the people could see our breath coming out of our mouth's. After the gig I had to stay in bed for 3 days. I haven't seen any breath comin' out of James Hetfield's mouth or the Audience inside the bubble.

And, by the way, what is so cruel about criticizing millionaires, that have enough money to play everywhere on the world, cause they just CAN??? Metallica stopped writing good songs after the Black Album. Ok, that's my own opinion as a formerly Metallica-Fan, so don't take that for serious.

Infraret lamps (you don't see them, but feel them, solar panels, Headphone mixes for the audience, Multi-thousand-Dollar-Systems for Mixing and Monitoring, and not talking about special Clothing for bad weather . What the fu**. They can afford all of this to
create their own envirionment at this gig.... and they fu**ed it up several times...

If you want to do such a PR-Thing (and it's what they did and nothing else) You should be able not only to expect best from the technican's and the gear, but also you should be "fit" for what you do... it reminds me on the Queen-Set on the Live-Aid in Wembley Stadium in the 80s: they were the only Band that rehearsed their setlist before their set.... (and we are talking about a Band that had played many more gigs than Metallica in their carreer) and they blew them all away. And the absolute opposite happend now
with Metallica. They have technologies available that we all can only dream of (we poor hobby musicians) and they just play like a bad Metallica-Cover-Band)

So, you may say: Oh, they are Metallica, they played their songs a thousand times... they don't need to rehearse... You know, that it isn't true (Especially if you have an inconsistent Drummer like Lars Ulrich in the Band) They just meet each other at the concerts, the got flight in by their private Jet, and they meet each other just 10 minutes before stage time, otherwise Lars and James would get into a fight....I don't call this a BAND. It's a bunch of millionaires that made great music in the past, and the have
to start such PR-Actions like the Antarctica-Gig just to cover the truth, that they should have stopped 10 years ago...

I think it's just too bad that some people just seem to focus way too much on how perfect a song is played live.
Sure Lars doesn't play as tight as he used to eventhough back in the day he also wasn't the tightest drummer but this never distracted me from enjoying their music and live shows.
Lars really has his own sound and playing style and Metallica wouldn't be the same without it.
There are lots of Metal bands out there with great drummers that are a lot better technically then Lars.
Do I listen to them? No, because most metal bores me (except for a handfull of bands like meshuggah).
I'm a huge fan of Load and Reload while a lot of metallica fans hate those albums for not being metal enough.
I really like the fact that a band with that stature still tries to renew themselves and come up with new musical styles and directions unlike Iron Maiden.
I've seen them about 6 times now since 2003 and I totally got my money's worth every time.
You're guaranteed to have a great time when you go to a metallica show, that is if you don't go through the show listening for mistakes.
Jimmy page and Jimi Hendrix weren't the most tight guitar players but I sure enjoy listening to them warts and all because they have their own musical identity and the flaws help create that identity in a way.
Ofcourse everybody should listen to music in their own way, I just know that I still really enjoy metallica's music, releases and live shows and I don't really care if they don't play as tight as they would in the studio.
They are still humans.

good lord, thread took off in a bad way :/ i'm not a follower of the group, but the only possible negative of this would be if tons of bands copy them and flood the place with "cool gigs"; would be an environmental impact there.
happy christmas, you miserable lot :

Yeah, the first video links we got sounded pretty bad. The links at livemetallica.com sound better by leaps and bounds, and also by the way sound *extremely* close to their other recent live recordings on the site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom