METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

This has me wondering how cold it was in that bubble. I played cold gigs before, it was near impossible to get a straight note out. I'll admit that's only marginally worse than I usually play. This sounds like it was very cold indeed.

Trying to come into some Metappreciation here. Lots of people seem to appreciate them. Must be something to it.
Come to think of it, however, I can't remember ever hearing Kirk play anything that impressed me. Anyone have any examples that blow the socks off?

Solo to Blackened is pretty badass.

I hate to hate on people but the YouTube clips were pretty bad, but makes us feel better that they are only human and we sound as good when we perform when everything is stripped back to the nuts and bolts. Sounded like the drum sound was just the Roland brain, I would have used the black preset from the Steven slate drums collection, the guitars sounded ok but not like a wall of guitars that we are use to.

I think they may have been going for an unplugged type of gig, they could have easily nailed their album or live sound, but they must have had other ideas because they have too many talented people around them not to be able to nail their sound. Still an awesome gig and a world first and great for fractal and our community. Rock on

It's not the cold, Hammett always sounds like that live.

Horrible vibrato, out of tune bends, played on guitars that sound like they were intonated by Helen Keller.

:lol :lol :lol

I couldn't hear the bass in the mix - it all sound like a typical teen metal band rehearsal....

Metallica were overrated, just saying.....

Are they going to continue using the Axe Fx II for the regular live shows or in the studio? Or was this just a one off..?

I doubt it. They're THE band that doesn't really need to concern themselves with figuring out ways to avoid having an extravagent, huge setup. I can't see them switching over full time.

Worst live performance I've ever heard from Metallica. Seen them live three times (Black Album Tour). No comparison. I'm dissapointed like hell. They should retire.

Andy (former Metallica-Fan, incl. everything till & incl. Black Album)

I enjoyed it and I don't think it was that bad although they have played better obviously. They definitely aren't bad musicians, as a matter of fact I think James is still one of the best metal/rock riff guitarists and songwriters out there.
If you want better soundquality you should probably wait for the livemetallica version. That should be released soon.

If you want better soundquality you should probably wait for the livemetallica version. That should be released soon.
+1. Before getting Devin Townsend's latest live, "The Retinal Circus", as a big fan of him, I watched an .avi version uploaded by someone who recorded the live streaming of the show. The sound was horrible. But the sound on the official release is great. But at least, this time, no one, on another forum, started a thread to say "listen to Devin on Axe Fx, buahahaha" :p

A better mix won't fix the outrageous mistakes in playin'.... and to be honest, I've heard James Hetfield many times singing way better than this. It's not really the sound that is disturbing me. This was a very unique Experiment and will be respected. But if you know
your songs for decades and have played them a thousand times...you should be able to perform them without such a big amount of brutal mistakes...

IMHO, Kirk Hammett is far away from beiing a technical skiled player, but he created solo's that I can sing by heart, and this makes him some kind of "Guitar Hero". And I hear that solo, and every few seconds he is fuckin' it up....a shame.

absolutely, but there's two different conversations here, I was talking about the sound, not the performance. The performance sure is sometimes bordering terrible, but the temperature may explain it. I do like that the musicians looks like they're having great fun

I listened to some of the concert with the link provided by nicolasrivera and though the performance and sound certainly could have been better there is a shitload of obstacles to overcome playing in Antarctica. Man, I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. I think it speaks volumes about Fractal's previous and continued push for perfection that brought Metallica to choose Fractal in the first place to be their amp of choice is the harshest of environmental conditions. Just my two cents.....

I listened to some of the concert with the link provided by nicolasrivera and though the performance and sound certainly could have been better there is a shitload of obstacles to overcome playing in Antarctica. Man, I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.
+1. Anyone who thinks they performed badly...well, try getting through a set in conditions that are cold enough to require heavy clothing. :)

Back
Top Bottom