METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

I am not going to Antarctica. The plane/ship voyage is just too much.
We spent 5 days in INTENSE sessions dialing in the show.
It's a very smart band and crew and they're now comfortable on their own.

Smart man! ;)

We need you to keep safe and sound at home! :encouragement:

That's cool. Although going to the most uninhabitable continent seem to be a cool thing to cross out the bucket list. How do they like the Axe?

They will be playing Antarctica on Dec 8th. The show will be transmitted to fans in attendance wearing headphones.The show will also be streamed live to Latin American countries & filmed for the rest of the world to view at a later date.

Obviously Metallica are not dumping their tube amps any time soon, & this is just a 'one off' type of deal. Hopefully the Axe2 will leave a good enough impression on them so they will at least add it to their full time rig for effects & certain unique amp tones here & there.

Last edited:
This is cool, would be even cooler if they shared some presets, then I could compare to my own, as we cover several Metallica songs and I spent hours dialing it in to match live recordings of their tone, and I've been told my live tones are so close, people thought they were seeing a Metallica concert lol...... I guess that's what happens when a band is your main influence all your life.....

If they are so concerned about the environment in Antarctica, why go there at all? Sounds more like a publicity stunt than anything.

...playin' a silent Gig in Antarctica or Oil Drilling .....Choose the Kind of pollution....i vote for the 'tallica-Concert.

M@ did they go with MFC's also and you had to configure those for the band too, or did you program everything mapped to their existing foot controllers, so the change of "amp" is basically transparent to them, and all their stomp switches do what they are accustomed to at their feet?

I'm a guitarist, not a Metallica "fan" but I know what they do and appreciate their influence on a generation of players younger than me. The thing I'm actually impressed with the most is that their bassist is also going to use an A2. Did you model something unique for him or do anything tone matching wise, or were you able to use stuff in the box already?

Lastly, are they still using their outboard pedals that they like, like tube screamers or wah's, and such, outside of the Axe 2, or is this totally "all guitar sounds you're gonna hear on this Antarctica concert is being generated solely by Fractal"??

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom