METALLICA Chooses Fractal Audio Axe-Fx IIs for Silent Antarctica Concert

Here's a new video with some good "behind the scenes" moments:

Kirk had a small 1x12" speaker hooked up so that he'd be able to get some feedback during his leads. Nobody told Lars about it and his reaction when he hears it is hilarious.

Still seems odd to me to have everything DI'd and 'silent', yet the usual collection of biscuit tins continue to crash away... that kinda defeats the purpose of everything else in this experiment
shrug.gif

I think the whole thing was very cool.I'm thrilled Metallica choose the Axe Fx 2 for this project and hope this is just the start of something special between them and Fractal.For X-Mas I treated myself to the download from livemetallica.com and I think their tones sounded great.Kudos to everyone the band,crew,and the good people at Fractal for making it happen.......On a side note I miss the Master Of Puppets preset from the Ultra.That preset was so huge sounding it was one of my favorites along with Joe Walsh's Life has been Good.I noticed a lot of presets made the trip over to Axe 2 like Sweet Child(not a fan...lol)Is there anyway to get these presets added to the Axe FX 2 ?

Check out Metallica on the Grammy's this Sunday if you want to hear their new Axe-FX II rigs in action. They're doing a performance with concert pianist Lang Lang.

Here's a shot from their rehearsals with legendary producer Bob Ezrin:

1535375_10151878647260264_1708924738_n.jpg

I'm not sure if that's James', Kirk's, or Rob's rig in the background. They all have similar setups with 2 Axe-FX II's. Matt would be able to tell you because he was there :).

Check out Metallica on the Grammy's this Sunday if you want to hear their new Axe-FX II rigs in action. They're doing a performance with concert pianist Lang Lang.

I'm not sure if that's James', Kirk's, or Rob's rig in the background. They all have similar setups with 2 Axe-FX II's. Matt would be able to tell you because he was there :).

Look forward to hearing the tones Metallica unleashes with the technology that is Axe Fx. Definitely has my attention.

Last edited:

This is an amazing accomplishment for everyone at FAS!

To get Metallica's buy-in like this and for them to use the amp sims, no less, is quite a milestone!

Congratulations Cliff and team!

F%ck the Namm snobs!

So much sarcasm, pessimism and trash talk on this thread about tone and Metallica as musicians. It is what it is. The boys are pushing 50 and past their prime. Let us know when your next arena gig is. But, it is popular to be anti-Metallica on most forums.

I think it is awesome that FAS was sought out for this application and maybe more to come.

I am not going to Antarctica. The plane/ship voyage is just too much.
We spent 5 days in INTENSE sessions dialing in the show.
It's a very smart band and crew and they're now comfortable on their own.
I'll bet that was like pulling teeth, lol. I HATE explaining tech to other people. Such a PITA, but I'm sure it
was well worth effort.

Back
Top Bottom