Metallica backstage part 2!

I'm at the Hilton across from Busch stadium and I can see them setting up the rigging from my room. Getting excited for tomorrow nights show! Someone get me backstage please!

They were killer!!! Sound was amazing and the production was the best I've seen. It rained on us for most of the show and the stage wasn't covered so the bands played wet. I was concerned about the P.A. speakers because they weren't covered at all and they got rained on all day, are they waterproof? If you get the chance go see them. They killed!

Sorry to hijack your thread Guitarjon but I love this band!
Funny thing that happened during the show, they had a cool Intro going for Fade to black and and James came out and walked up to his acoustic and it was out of tune and also shorting out so he kicked it and said "You guys ever seen Spinal Tap"? You're seeing it live! It was funny.

I went to the Denver show last night. Absolutely incredible! All three bands sounded great (although Volbeat and AX7 should have boosted the vocals some). Metallica still kick ass and put on a good show. I can't wait for them to come back! Hopefully next time they'll just play Red Rocks for a week (c'mon James, it's just a 90 minute drive to Vail, so you could sleep in your bed every night!).

I got to play Rob's bass and James' guitar in the Sanitarium Rubber Room. I meant to come back to Kirk's guitar after going to the buffet and getting a drink, but I just got so caught up in other things that before I knew it Volbeat was on stage. But I've played an ESP KH2 before.

I gotta say that despite Metallica being my #1 guitar influence, James, Kirk and I don't really have the same taste in guitar ergonomics. I would love to have an Explorer style guitar again (I used to have an 80s Ibanez Destroyer like Iron Maiden), but I can't stand Gibson style necks (or painted necks for that matter). And I love super Strats, but I can't stand Floyd Roses! So odd as it is to say, it's kind of a relief that I have different tastes than my heros. It just means my own identity is stronger than my influences, which I think is a good thing.

And to those wanting to know if I was able to steal any settings from the AX8, they had plastic protectors over the controls and it's not like we would have their IRs... And I like my own presets better anyway, but I'm also positive that they wouldn't translate to stadium gigs!
Trujillo AX8.jpg

I went to the Denver show last night. Absolutely incredible! All three bands sounded great (although Volbeat and AX7 should have boosted the vocals some). Metallica still kick ass and put on a good show. I can't wait for them to come back! Hopefully next time they'll just play Red Rocks for a week (c'mon James, it's just a 90 minute drive to Vail, so you could sleep in your bed every night!).

I got to play Rob's bass and James' guitar in the Sanitarium Rubber Room. I meant to come back to Kirk's guitar after going to the buffet and getting a drink, but I just got so caught up in other things that before I knew it Volbeat was on stage. But I've played an ESP KH2 before.

I gotta say that despite Metallica being my #1 guitar influence, James, Kirk and I don't really have the same taste in guitar ergonomics. I would love to have an Explorer style guitar again (I used to have an 80s Ibanez Destroyer like Iron Maiden), but I can't stand Gibson style necks (or painted necks for that matter). And I love super Strats, but I can't stand Floyd Roses! So odd as it is to say, it's kind of a relief that I have different tastes than my heros. It just means my own identity is stronger than my influences, which I think is a good thing.

And to those wanting to know if I was able to steal any settings from the AX8, they had plastic protectors over the controls and it's not like we would have their IRs... And I like my own presets better anyway, but I'm also positive that they wouldn't translate to stadium gigs!
View attachment 40238
That's very cool man! Were the presets on the AX8 supposed to be the ones they use live?

That's very cool man! Were the presets on the AX8 supposed to be the ones they use live?
Maybe? I've seen them use AX8s in the tuning room, so I imagine they're the same presets. It was pretty cool to play with Rob's simulation of Cliff's Morley wah that he used on Anesthesia Pulling Teeth. I got lost in that for a minute!

Maybe? I've seen them use AX8s in the tuning room, so I imagine they're the same presets. It was pretty cool to play with Rob's simulation of Cliff's Morley wah that he used on Anesthesia Pulling Teeth. I got lost in that for a minute!

Most of the presets they use live have dual amp setups but I imagine the AX8 presets will sound great with just one amp.
I didn't check the sounds out myself when I was at that exhibit in Copenhagen...
I should have :)

Saw them in Houston last night and they sounded incredible. I know for sure one buddy who started saving up for an XL after seeing that show. He was blown away. Man, talking about hearing Fractal in all its glory last night. Wow.
After about six songs I had to put earplugs in. They were extremely loud or I'm just getting old! I didn't think at first that being outside with no walls or ceiling that it could get that loud but they proved me wrong.

As I was listening back to the Denver show on a flight to see Queen in Phoenix, I remembered a small detail about Robert's five string basses. I guess he uses a high B instead of a low B. I would have thought it would have been a high C like a six string basses, but the guy helping people with the equipment at the show confirmed otherwise.

Anyway, I wish more bands let you have an audio recording of the show afterwards. And the free concert videos on YouTube are great too. Metallica treats their fans pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom