Metallica backstage part 2!

Just watched the performance with Lady Gaga.
I couldn't find a source with good sound but I thought they picked the right song.
The band sounded good but it was stupid that James' mic didn't work at the beginning of the song.
You'd expect more from an award show like the Grammy's.
I imagine that doing TV and award shows can be a bit of a pain in general though.
By the way, great catch at the end there @Zaemo !
I have seen James do that guitar toss a million times, that one looked as though it was out of anger... But kudos on the great catch!

I'm excited that tickets for the North American tour go on sale tomorrow! Also happy that Met Club members get a headstart on tickets. Scalpers and bots suck!

Picked up my tickets for NJ today (GA Field) for me and the Wife, to say I'm Psyched for this show is an understatement. I wish i could have done one of the fan packages especially to see the Memorabilia but sadly its was just to damn expensive right now.

I got a GA/Floor @ Edmonton, AB ticket this morning for August 16th 2017. I'm apparently a Legacy fan club member lol... as I joined the metclub in 2008 to get Death Magnetic presale. Anyways... Last Concert I saw there (Commonwealth Stadium) was Pink Floyd's "Pulse" (Division Bell Tour) in 1994. I've been to easily over 500 concerts in my lifetime and NOTHING beat the sound that Pink Floyd had there. This will be my 1st time Seeing them outdoors and IMO probably the last time I will see them as they ain't getting any younger lol..

I got a GA/Floor @ Edmonton, AB ticket this morning for August 16th 2017. I'm apparently a Legacy fan club member lol... as I joined the metclub in 2008 to get Death Magnetic presale. Anyways... Last Concert I saw there (Commonwealth Stadium) was Pink Floyd's "Pulse" (Division Bell Tour) in 1994. I've been to easily over 500 concerts in my lifetime and NOTHING beat the sound that Pink Floyd had there. This will be my 1st time Seeing them outdoors and IMO probably the last time I will see them as they ain't getting any younger lol..

Definitely let us know how it was!

Hey Jon, loving that you gave us an update on the Metallica rigs!

I noticed the POD X3 PRO has disappeared from James his rig. If I am correct he used that to switch his Variax 700 Acoustic from standard acoustic to twelve string acoustic during the intro of Fade to Black. I wonder how they do the switching now, when watching the recent performance of Fade to Black in Copenhagen they still do switch the sound to twelve string.

Hey Jon, loving that you gave us an update on the Metallica rigs!

I noticed the POD X3 PRO has disappeared from James his rig. If I am correct he used that to switch his Variax 700 Acoustic from standard acoustic to twelve string acoustic during the intro of Fade to Black. I wonder how they do the switching now, when watching the recent performance of Fade to Black in Copenhagen they still do switch the sound to twelve string.

That question is best answered by @Zaemo :)

That question is best answered by @Zaemo :)
I'm going next weekend to see METALLICA! I would love to get my two boys back to see the guitars and rigs. They both play and are big fans. How did you get them to let you backstage? I don't want to bother Justin by messaging him on here. Thanks!

Can someone ask James if it's ok to share his preset please!?!?! The thought of mixing a c++ and vh4 intrigues me but I have no idea where to start! (I'm assuming the c++ is the main tone and the vh4 is some bottom end?)

Anyways... Last Concert I saw there (Commonwealth Stadium) was Pink Floyd's "Pulse" (Division Bell Tour) in 1994. I've been to easily over 500 concerts in my lifetime and NOTHING beat the sound that Pink Floyd had there.

Oh yea, fully agree; I was at that same show as well (and followed them to Winnipeg for the next show). Absolutely stunning sound. Nothing like hearing Gilmour's sweet guitar tones wash over you on a huge outdoor PA. I've seen Floyd several times and their live sound is definitely a high water-mark for live concerts, even 20+ years later. I'll never forget the bass punching you right in the gut during the intro for "One Of These Days"....just....awesome.

Oh yea, fully agree; I was at that same show as well (and followed them to Winnipeg for the next show). Absolutely stunning sound. Nothing like hearing Gilmour's sweet guitar tones wash over you on a huge outdoor PA. I've seen Floyd several times and their live sound is definitely a high water-mark for live concerts, even 20+ years later. I'll never forget the bass punching you right in the gut during the intro for "One Of These Days"....just....awesome.

Do you want to know why ?

Normal !! :D
DSC_0028.jpg
I estimate 25m full of subs

Paris/Chantilly July 16 2016

Can someone ask James if it's ok to share his preset please!?!?! The thought of mixing a c++ and vh4 intrigues me but I have no idea where to start! (I'm assuming the c++ is the main tone and the vh4 is some bottom end?)

Start by just making a tight and crunchy sound with the USA IIC++.
Then make a more loose and modern sound with the VH4 (channel 3).
Blend both together and send them through a good Mesa IR like the OwnHammer Trad or the Recto V70B from the Recto player pack.
This should get you pretty close.
Don't scoop the hell out of the tones too, keep some mids in there.
For your left hand, play with consistent power, this is also pretty important!

Good luck!

Here is my IIC VH4 preset i had actually made this before this thread came up and i generally have more effects in it but I've stripped it down to the basics. I run a OH mix f there Mesa Cabs w v60 and V70 from there latest set (i replaced them with the recto mix and new recto mix cabs)

Now I make no promises as to how close this is to Jame's setup(and its probably not even lol) but it sounds good to me when I'm jamming along to them.

Attachments

• IICVH4RIG.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 23
That sounds like an awesome day and show!! Thanks for sharing the insight into Metallica's current live setup!

Start by just making a tight and crunchy sound with the USA IIC++.
Then make a more loose and modern sound with the VH4 (channel 3).
Blend both together and send them through a good Mesa IR like the OwnHammer Trad or the Recto V70B from the Recto player pack.
This should get you pretty close.
Don't scoop the hell out of the tones too, keep some mids in there.
For your left hand, play with consistent power, this is also pretty important!

Good luck!

Jon,
For a dual amp setup can you run both amps into the same cab block or do you use 2 separate cabs? I run in mono so I wouldn't want to do a stereo cab.

Back
Top Bottom