Metallica at Glastonbury...

Hey

Check this live gig few times year was 1989 ,those years Metallica did sound amazing live tones was stunning and live performance also. IMO Metallica best tones and live performances was years between 1986-1993. That time there was Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ ,old Hetfield voice band live performance whit lots of alcohol and Burton or Newsted whit bass amazing times. And Lars drum tones for those old live gigs are stunning ,I don't think you find Lars to bee sloppy for those old Live gigs. Link for that live is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eltF61VRC3I

Now were talkin´!!! :encouragement:
It a better production over all to be fair.
Plus that they had some real energy back then!

I agree on the Newsted comment....he was the glue. I mean no disrespect, but he's even more Metallica to me than Cliff. All of my fav music they've ever done, Jason is on bass.

Haven't seen Metallica live since St. Anger music video, boy are they old :shock. Except Kirk, he must be drinking the same stuff as John Myung

I listened to a few of the songs in the full video... can't hear any issues with Lars' playing to be honest. Is he drifting tempo wise or just missing fills or what?

They are who they are... and the Axefx2 is really working for them... the tones are good.

Watch the Glastonbury footage of the GTR solo in The Unforgiven......what the hell is Lars playing underneath it?? It's terrible!!!

a ton of drum fills, which he normally does. it's just "more" for a live feel rather than what was played on the album 500 years ago.

pretty much all in good time - maybe a SLIGHT rush here and there tempo wise, but he didn't skip or rush coming in on the "1" of the next measure like he sometimes does.

that's just always how lars has done higher dynamics.

I miss Cliff. Such a great talent in tones, composition, and playing ability. Tragically taken from us far too early. :(

I've been following them since MegaDave was in the band. I saw them play live for the first time between Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning with Armored Saint backing them up in a real small room. The place went nucking futz. 500 headbangers going crazy packed wall to wall before most anybody had ever heard of them. I like their earlier stuff the best, but you can't expect artists to rehash the same material on every album. Think how boring as hell that would be for any musician. And you have to give them a lot of credit because they are still out there being successful doing what they love.

I have a theory, and I feel like this applies to every great metal band that has waned over time...you can only stay angry/angsty for so long. So much of what fuels that aggression is the anger, its what gives the music it's energy and passion. You can only stay angry for so long. These guys, for the most part, live comfortable lives, they have wives and kids....it's probably hard to find the same rage that they were playing off of when they were young. Sure there are some exceptions but I think that's why it's hard for bands to keep their mojo when they get older....

I have the same belief. If they could maintain the rage every one of them would be GG Alin. (shudder)

I thought the tones were really good though! And Kirk's playing was above what I expected, plus, they're all actually moving about and giving a show as opposed to just standing hoping they get their parts right.

I can also understand why the media is raving about the gig. Ever seen what passes for a 'rock' show in Glastonbury these days? smh.

I would like to say that I didn't like Metallica before it was fashionable to not like Metallica. I thought that their performance on Saturday night was great and I really enjoyed it. Also Metallica and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. I don't give a monkeys if Lars flubbed this of Kirk bungled that - they are up there doing it at one of the premier music festivals in the world.

In conclusion I'd like to say that I really like Metallica, and not just because it's fashionable not to.

Thanks to this post I am now watching a live video from '92 and it has reminded me the awesomeness of true Metallica. Of course they are not as great/special now but still one of the greatest bands ever.

This is one of Metallica's better performances. While I agree that the '86 through '93 version of 'tallica was the best, I'm amazed that they can still perform heavy metal music this good, with that amount of energy, at their age without the added push of cocaine or speed. If you just take it at face value for what it is, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

Guitars sound awesome. Drums are Ulrich. Bass is solid. I'm happy with it.

Before they pack it in, I would really like to hear 'tallica perform all of their songs live with the guitars tone-matched directly from their albums (i.e. Puppets, Justice, Black, etc). I know it sounds like a novelty, but if they can get it to work, then I think it would be something really cool. Something different that they can mix it up with....even if it's one song like The Frayed Ends of Sanity or FIXXXER.

Last edited:
a ton of drum fills, which he normally does. it's just "more" for a live feel rather than what was played on the album 500 years ago.

pretty much all in good time - maybe a SLIGHT rush here and there tempo wise, but he didn't skip or rush coming in on the "1" of the next measure like he sometimes does.

that's just always how lars has done higher dynamics.

Yeah, fair enough. Actually I feel a bit a bad about knocking Lars. He may be a bit sloppy live but composition wise I think he's a really great drummer (especially on record). It's not all flash and his fills all 'mean' something and are very musical!

.....sorry, my next post will be FAS related!!

Did anyone just relax and enjoy watching a hell of show instead of picking apart every minutia of the performance?

I quite enjoyed it for a recording of Metallica. Personally, I believe Metallica is best live and not recorded.

Everyone here could do it better Jack. :lol

Back
Top Bottom