Metallica and Axe-Fx III

Made me chuckle....

Not to pile on, however, I saw them in Grand Rapids March 13th and I gotta say, it was not great...

FOH-wise it sounded good with guitar tones, vocals and overall mix. But man, Lars was literally never in the pocket... I love the band, it was a great experience and show, but the BPM, tempo, and hooks were just not good at all from a drumming perspective. I left frustrated...

I know I'll get flack for those comments, but I have videos of Sad But True and Enter Sandman that just sped up, slowed down, was frankly, all over the place. No lie, I would not attend their show again... #SnobbyRantOver
This has been an issue with Lars for a long long time. Back on the Death magnetic tour I noticed it. Then I went back to shows from the early 2000s and noticed it was there, just not as bad. He was never very tight.

I caught Metallica during the WorldWired tour on Long Island in 2017 when they were using the Axe-Fx II rig. Incredible performance and setlist. Their crew has done a fantastic job with the audio engineering. The guitars sounded MASSIVE!

Will the AxeFX III make them make decent albums again like in the 80's?
That depends more on the artist than the gear IMHO.
The evolution of a living artist goes along with technological advances, but the core of entertainment resides in the performance from the human heart body and soul.
Perhaps when we see robots playing music,your question may be more relevant.

That depends more on the artist than the gear IMHO.
The evolution of a living artist goes along with technological advances, but the core of entertainment resides in the performance from the human heart body and soul.
Perhaps when we see robots playing music,your question may be more relevant.

Compressorhead is one of my favorite bands:

This has been an issue with Lars for a long long time. Back on the Death magnetic tour I noticed it. Then I went back to shows from the early 2000s and noticed it was there, just not as bad. He was never very tight.

Man, we've been making jokes about Lars' timing since the early 90s (and probably before that). Hell, I remember somebody actually graphed his BPM on the black album, and its all over the place on the record.

Man, we've been making jokes about Lars' timing since the early 90s (and probably before that). Hell, I remember somebody actually graphed his BPM on the black album, and its all over the place on the record.
How much did it vary by? I’d love to see that chart.

Unfortunately I can't post the link to it yet (don't have enough posts), but you can find it by googling "In search of the click track". The blog is Music Machinery.

Back
Top Bottom