Metal Instrumental featuring Andy James - Q6, ML IRs, GGD Drums

Pretty tasty! But extremely mechanical...

This is maybe more a question of aesthetics but I can't help feeling that the arrangement would benefit from just going with electronic drums, instead of sampled "real" drums, and replace the guitar solo with a synth lead or a "synth-y" guitar sound... Just "go full machine" on it. It sounds a bit awkward using sampled "real" drums because everything else is so mechanical, and then you have the sampled "real" drums that are maybe supposed to sound real, but they are still programmed like all-127-velocity and perfectly quantized. The other option i would go for is live recorded drums (no quantization) and re-record all the guitars so that they also have some natural timing stuff going on, and keep the guitar solo as it is. Maybe you could program the drums sound more natural if you don't want to mess with live drums... Just what I would do.

Btw, is the bass a synth or is it "sine-waved", or is it an actual bass guitar?

Cheers!

Lots of cool elements to this mix, and Andy kills it! I wish the bass wasn't programmed though.

Pretty tasty! But extremely mechanical...

This is maybe more a question of aesthetics but I can't help feeling that the arrangement would benefit from just going with electronic drums, instead of sampled "real" drums, and replace the guitar solo with a synth lead or a "synth-y" guitar sound... Just "go full machine" on it. It sounds a bit awkward using sampled "real" drums because everything else is so mechanical, and then you have the sampled "real" drums that are maybe supposed to sound real, but they are still programmed like all-127-velocity and perfectly quantized. The other option i would go for is live recorded drums (no quantization) and re-record all the guitars so that they also have some natural timing stuff going on, and keep the guitar solo as it is. Maybe you could program the drums sound more natural if you don't want to mess with live drums... Just what I would do.

Btw, is the bass a synth or is it "sine-waved", or is it an actual bass guitar?

Cheers!

Actually the drums aren't programmed 127 and perfectly quantized at all:

Screenshot%202017-01-03%2019.07.44.png

They start with a real drum performance on a v-drum kit and then I modify them.

Anyway your idea sounds pretty cool, you should totally go for it! But believe it or not this actually sounds how I wanted it to.:tearsofjoy: Aesthetically I'm a fan of the modern Metal sound which for the sound I prefer isn't super dynamic and full of 'natural' timing.

Lots of cool elements to this mix, and Andy kills it! I wish the bass wasn't programmed though.

I wish bass players weren't...bass players but what can ya do:tonguewink:

Ahh, my mistake about the programming then! :) I guess i just prefer either live drums recorded in a room, or straight electronic all the way (kind of all-or-nothing).

I hear you, everyone has different tastes and it does sound really good! I'm just all about the "au-natural"-stuff right now hehe.

I reallllllly like how you have your drum midi map setup. Did it come like that out of the gate when you bought GGD, or did you set the map like that? Also, are you using GGD in Kontakt? I really wish it was a stand-alone vst.

That was my conclusion as well, until I tried about every possible variation using all of the latest plugs, compressors, etc. Mixing around for thousands of hours and just can't seem to hit that kind of volume with that kind of clarity. The only thing I haven't yet tried is a newer DAW. I'm still running Sonar 8 producer edition. I've read all the data that shows the summing to be identical but something is just not clicking. I'll give it a test and see if it makes a difference. If not I'll stick with what I know :)
I feel your pain. I spent FOREVER on our last album and was just frustrated beyond belief with mixing. I tried a new toy...a FREE limit/comp on the 2buss and I ended up being very happy. Check out the Density Mk3

Back
Top Bottom