AFIII Metal DEATHMATCH - Fractal vs. Neural

The second one sounds less clear, a bit fuzzier like a lower resolution. The imaging on the second sounded different, wider that the first. I would have a hard time distinguishing these sounds in a mix. I'm not sure one is "better" than the other as this type of sound is a bit of a departure for me. The playing and production are way out in front of the perceived tones.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Killer music! I really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing!!!

Listening through my phone I would've said I liked Tone 2, but after listening with headphones on I'd say I like Tone 1 best. They both sound really good and honestly it is hard to make a decision.

Tone 1 is Fractal, Tone 2 is Neural!

Looks like the votes agree with me generally; I prefer Fractal in this case. There's a bit more depth / movement / 3D whatever adjective you want to use, and I also find this help it sit better in the mix and leave more space around it. I also prefer the smoother top end, but that could easily be changed with a flick of EQ. It is pretty close indeed though and I could happily use either one.

Well, that was a new sound for me. I like the first half more than the second...

Anyway, great playing for sure. The harmonized parts (R & L) are super tight!

The first version sounds tighter to me and I can hear more articulation throughout. The easiest point to hear it is in the solo'd guitar, low chugs at 1:23-4 and 3:37-8, respectively.

The second one has some spongyness in the high mids as well...

Overall, interesting sound. and tight playing.

Thanks!

Which is which here? Are you gonna reveal?

Yes I am!

I think that "Which tone leaves the ring?" Is a confusing question to ask for this poll. Does the winner or loser leave the ring?

That said, I liked Tone 1 better for this.

In a DEATH MATCH only one leaves the ring alive. So I suppose that would be winner unless you wanted to die.

The first one sounds brighter to me. Usually people prefer brighter.

Opposite for me!

The second one sounds less clear, a bit fuzzier like a lower resolution. The imaging on the second sounded different, wider that the first. I would have a hard time distinguishing these sounds in a mix. I'm not sure one is "better" than the other as this type of sound is a bit of a departure for me. The playing and production are way out in front of the perceived tones.

Thanks for listening!

Killer music! I really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing!!!

Listening through my phone I would've said I liked Tone 2, but after listening with headphones on I'd say I like Tone 1 best. They both sound really good and honestly it is hard to make a decision.

Thanks for checking it out!

I only listened on my iPhone, but I could tell immediately the high end of the second one sounded too scratchy.

What these types of threads show is that moving forward things like workflow, editors, convenience, I/O’s. ease of use, tweak ability, price, familiarity of product, update schedule etc. will become more and more important over just the tone or feel. As for the poll, Axe is #2, Neural is #1.

Edit: just saw the results. I guessed wrong! :)

I didn't hear any tone — just distortion.
admins should not be seen or heard, and if you can't manage that maybe... just maybe... you shouldn't snipe at people using your company's very expensive products. Especially if you endorse them, along with half a dozen other top notch companies. Or do you not actually work for Fractal?

Both clips sound great. I could tell them apart on my S10 phone speakers but it's more a matter of personal preference.. I'd take Neural just because you get 97.5% of the Axe tone for 2.5% the cost, and the ITB workflow can't be beat

I like metal as much as anybody and the clip is pretty cool, but the playing style and heavy gating in that clip don't lend themselves well to comparing tones. Even after know which is which, I can't form a preference one way or the other.

As is tradition, the votes have skyrocketed one way since the reveal. :tearsofjoy:

I didn't screenshot it, but it was about 60/40 for Fractal leading up to today.

I myself prefer the Fractal but I always find that funny about blind tests.

Yet it wasn't the Metal fans being douchebags in this thread.
Please reveal how were the results before yiu revealed who was the axefx ;)

Maybe you're just not used to hearing someone pick like a man.
You wouldn't believe how loud I just laughed at this massive destroying BURN xDD

I liked both clips and preferred clip1 just a little bit more but honestly it was a coin flip between the two.

Massively creative and cool use of the glitchy edited type stuff ;)

admins should not be seen or heard, and if you can't manage that maybe... just maybe... you shouldn't snipe at people using your company's very expensive products. Especially if you endorse them, along with half a dozen other top notch companies. Or do you not actually work for Fractal?

No one says that when the same admins are bailing people out of technical issues with their AxeFX constantly or sharing their presets or insights in how to achieve specific tones/effects.

Back
Top Bottom