AFIII Metal DEATHMATCH - Fractal vs. Neural

Well, one final thought guys.

Some of you wrote that because of processing you can't hear the difference.

I can hear it very, very clearly even when listening throught phone speaker... But this is because I hear the exact thing I always search for when dialing up chuggin', heavy sound for death metal.

More or less it is about compression I guess. The first sample has less comp, the second is flat. To my humble ears.

We can agree to disagree, though I'm willing to bet if the samples were EQ matched, you likely wouldn't be able to tell which is which.

That very well may be! :D Blind tests are tough indeed and my years-of-live-death-metal-damaged-ears certainly aren't golden.

I have reverse engineered the signal path: Gate -> Compressor -> Distortion -> Distortion -> Compressor -> Gate

I need to go listen to some Carpenters now.

Oh, I thought we were done being douchebags in this thread, thanks for yet another useless contribution. Keeps my thread at the top.

Well, one final thought guys.

Some of you wrote that because of processing you can't hear the difference.

I can hear it very, very clearly even when listening throught phone speaker... But this is because I hear the exact thing I always search for when dialing up chuggin', heavy sound for death metal.

More or less it is about compression I guess. The first sample has less comp, the second is flat. To my humble ears.

I think you are right and that's part of it, but interestingly the waveforms look pretty similar still! Like the 2nd isn't particularly flat or squashed looking compared to the first. I think there might be some other factors at play like maybe masking due to aliasing / oversampling or just smaller dynamic shifts.

I guess I should have specified I was asking for opinions on comparing the two tones to each other;
To my ears the first tone, especially in the first riff, has a bit more clarity. The second tone could be considered smoother and in the second riff has a touch more mids, again to my ears. Both sound good and could be used in a mix, would be difficult to choose one over the other.
not advice on my production aesthetic / life choices / invitation to get crapped on by Fractal employees and forum mods.
Your responses to those who offered an opinion that conflicted with yours came across as defensive and aggressive. May not have been your intent, just saying how it appears to someone who doesn't know you.

I'm cool with both the tones TBH, but your playing... That's some good stuff!!!!

Thank you!

I like first one better.
So who is who? :)

PM me for results!

To my ears the first tone, especially in the first riff, has a bit more clarity. The second tone could be considered smoother and in the second riff has a touch more mids, again to my ears. Both sound good and could be used in a mix, would be difficult to choose one over the other.

Your responses to those who offered an opinion that conflicted with yours came across as defensive and aggressive. May not have been your intent, just saying how it appears to someone who doesn't know you.

Thanks for listening and giving your feedback!

The thing is I never gave an opinion; people were giving THEIR opinions on my mixing ability, production style and aesthetic choices. These are things I'm very passionate about so yeah, it's gonna RILE ME UP a little. Of course it's the internet and an open forum and I'll still sleep fine tonight. I just don't really go out of my way to comment on musical styles I'm not into; much like I don't go out of my way to step on dog crap so I have something to feel distasteful about. :p

Hard to tell much difference, truly. With listening closely to the isolated tracks in an A/B scenario -
I'd say #2 has some more bottom end to it. Conversely, #1 has more "sizzle", more high end.

Hard to say which is a "winner". They're both good, just different.

Not really my musical style but the playing is spot-on. Keep that up!

"An artist’s only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else’s." - J. D. Salinger

Well, that was a new sound for me. I like the first half more than the second...

Anyway, great playing for sure. The harmonized parts (R & L) are super tight!

The first version sounds tighter to me and I can hear more articulation throughout. The easiest point to hear it is in the solo'd guitar, low chugs at 1:23-4 and 3:37-8, respectively.

The second one has some spongyness in the high mids as well...

Overall, interesting sound. and tight playing.

Also, I know you didn't ask for opinions on the mix, but I have some :)

The guitars could be louder, but maybe they are not the focus? Maybe trade some frequencies with the pad?

The bass is doing something in the 200-400Hz that doesn't sound good. Especially during the blast beat (0:25-0:28) - it is really competing with the snare, IMO.

But, still a good mix overall.

I think that "Which tone leaves the ring?" Is a confusing question to ask for this poll. Does the winner or loser leave the ring?

That said, I liked Tone 1 better for this.

Back
Top Bottom