AFIII Metal DEATHMATCH - Fractal vs. Neural

Sacha

Inspired
Just for fun! Both tones are going into the same IR (Ownhammer Mesa Recto) and processing chain (just some light EQ and compression + widening). What do you think?

I'll wait until we get some opinions hopefully and then post the answers / my thoughts.

I don't know which is which but the first sounds more pleasing to my ears. Just sounded slightly more organic? Honestly I'd have to hear them in person to really tell them apart.

Thanks for listening! I'm not sure what you mean by in person, like thru my studio monitors?

cool track and awesome editing! it doesn't really matter to me which is which :)

Thanks Chris!

These 👏 riffs 👏 are 👏 sick 👏 as 👏 FUGG!!! 👏 👏 👏

I like the first tone, but both sound great! First tone just has a lil more LIFE to it, for me. Really great all around! 👍 👍 👍

Just for fun! Both tones are going into the same IR (Ownhammer Mesa Recto) and processing chain (just some light EQ and compression + widening). What do you think?

I'll wait until we get some opinions hopefully and then post the answers / my thoughts.

Dudeeee, love your riffs, I prefer first track but sounds almost the same!

Thanks for listening! I'm not sure what you mean by in person, like thru my studio monitors?

Yes exactly. Sitting in front of your studio monitors. Which means you could use either one really. Neural DSP and Fractal are the top tier right now.

Yes exactly. Sitting in front of your studio monitors. Which means you could use either one really. Neural DSP and Fractal are the top tier right now.

Gotcha. Well, they sound about 5% different where I'm sitting. :) Nothing huge, both are definitely usable, but I prefer one by a small margin.

Haven't listened on my monitors yet but they sound very close, so much so that I can't say I prefer one over the other. I think that type of tone/playing makes the differences even less discernible.

That being said, very cool track/riffs. Reminiscent of Charles Caswell/Berried Alive in a few spots.

Haven't listened on my monitors yet but they sound very close, so much so that I can't say I prefer one over the other. I think that type of tone/playing makes the differences even less discernible.

That being said, very cool track/riffs. Reminiscent of Charles Caswell/Berried Alive in a few spots.

Thanks! Personally I think going into the same IR makes the differences less discernible, since IR is like 80% of the tone, but it's all subjective.

Thanks! Personally I think going into the same IR makes the differences less discernible, since IR is like 80% of the tone, but it's all subjective.
definitely agree on the IR...you can put 10 of the same types of amps through one IR and hear negligible differences...put 1 amp through 10 IR's and hear far greater differences.

It's a bit hard to tell what I'm listening to. The isolated track sounds amazing - if you're into the death metal thing. Super produced. I don't know how anyone would play something like this live!
But regardless of which unit we're dealing with, I don't hear guitar. It sounds - to me - more like a synth processed through a lot of distortion. Im not criticizing the art form - although I can say honestly it's not my thing - just commenting that the rig does not seem to make much of a difference. I don't hear the source of the music.

It's a bit hard to tell what I'm listening to. The isolated track sounds amazing - if you're into the death metal thing. Super produced. I don't know how anyone would play something like this live!
But regardless of which unit we're dealing with, I don't hear guitar. It sounds - to me - more like a synth processed through a lot of distortion. Im not criticizing the art form - although I can say honestly it's not my thing - just commenting that the rig does not seem to make much of a difference. I don't hear the source of the music.

Well this is an 'OK, Boomer' moment, isn't it. I say that in a warmly ribbing fashion, I might be older than you. :p

I guess if you don't care about modern Metal music / production than this shootout isn't for you. Much like I don't comment on comparisons of country clean tones or hackneyed pentatonic licks.

People like me who are interested in modern Metal production and tones are more likely to hear / care about the nuances of it, just like any other genre, and as evidenced by the number of people who have voted / commented and expressed a preference thus far.

Back
Top Bottom