[METAL] Another 'almost' final mix for my band's album!

I'm figuring this is the Das Metall patch, yes? What pickups are you using? And how far away are they. I had a lot (I mean, WAY TOO MUCH) mids content in my most recent endeavors, which weirded me out. I have BK Painkillers, and the frequency content from about 600-2000 Hz looked like a huge plateau. When I compared my signal to various guitarists that I liked, I started seeing a significant difference. No matter what I tweaked on the Axe I still got this over-emphasized 'quack' coming from the guitar. After double tracking and mixing 2 amp signals (VH4 and Recto) it sounded very much like a huge hollow sucking from the low-to-high mids, and if I tried to EQ it the tone simply became brutally unbalanced.

I kind of figured BRJ would have set the pickups to an appropriate height, but beauty being in the ear of the beholder, I started adjusting like a madman. I've got that puppy pretty close to my strings now and my tone is much, MUCH more balanced and refined. I had gotten to thinking a bunch of IRs just didn't suit me only to find out the guitar was literally frying the mids because of the pickup position. I can now actually perform with the thing without the intense distraction of thinking "Jeez that sounds like butt-rock" or when finally stacking re-amped tracks hearing this head-crushing noise.

The mix sounds good, but there is that distinct "mid noise" that maybe (really maybe) indicates the same type of thing is going on. It's a bit better, but it sounds like it's on the verge of losing control. I don't know. Your mileage may vary. By all means, if I am full of it, tell me to go eat horse puckey.

the pick ups used in the album were Dimarzio d-activators with the AW7 ESP

and I honestly don't know what to tell you about the quack you're talking about x_x

Back
Top Bottom