Metal Amp Models - What do you use?

ConnorGilks

Experienced
I play a lot of metal (death metal, progressive metal and deathcore) and in my deathcore band have mostly been using the FAS Modern model. I've been messing with the FAS 6160 and I have to say I think I like it a bit more! It's got slightly better attack and a very growly midrange, though I'm still unsure if I like the response on my 8 string's low Eb.

So tell us what amp model you use for your metal rhythm tones, why you like it, what you play and what tuning etc. I would love to hear what you guys are doing! :)

I play a lot of metal (death metal, progressive metal and deathcore) and in my deathcore band have mostly been using the FAS Modern model. I've been messing with the FAS 6160 and I have to say I think I like it a bit more! It's got slightly better attack and a very growly midrange, though I'm still unsure if I like the response on my 8 string's low Eb.

So tell us what amp model you use for your metal rhythm tones, why you like it, what you play and what tuning etc. I would love to hear what you guys are doing! :)

I'm currently working on a dual amp FAS 6160/Euro Uber blend. It's based on a Recto patch I posted in the Recording thread a couple weeks ago. Anyway, 12.04 has undoubtedly unlocked a vital passageway into the dark world of metal tones! Make no mistake, the high gain tone War is far from over, however Fractal is on the MARCH!

what do you like about them and what tuning/style do you play?
The "D60 More" factory preset sounds very "present" and is one of the better in the room presets I've come across. FAS Modern just nails what I think a high gain amp should sound like.

I play progressive-ish metal in standard tuning.

theres soooooo many man!

FAS modern I and II, FAS 6160, all the diezel, the uber, the rectos, the 5153, the 5150 block and not block,

i mostly use the fas 6160 and fas modern I, but i really wanna get into all those others... i have to try the D60 too!

i've mainly been using the newer recto 1 amp with my 8 string tuned down 1/2 step and it sounds pretty righteous. as soon as i finish up the EP i'm working on i might try out some other amps and see how they've improved

what cab are you guys using with the D60 more?
I'm all over the place with amps for high gain I use a lot of them, but I'm not using that one .......yet :)

what cab are you guys using with the D60 more?
I'm all over the place with amps for high gain I use a lot of them, but I'm not using that one .......yet :)

i'm also curious, i tried getting tones with that amp before and couldn't get it to where i liked it, but it could have been a cab issue too

Recto 1 Red, 6160 II, FAS Modern I & II, Das Metal and don't forget about all the Mesa Mark Series models, once you get them dialed in they are killer for tight metal tones. Also, I use the older Ownhammer IRs, both the Mesa V31 and Bogner V31 with the Fathead mic model are my favorites!

Regarding the 5150/6505 models what do you guys like best and why? I'm messing with them now and they all kind of have their own thing, it's very cool. I'm still on FW 11.0 so I think I'm going to update my unit tonight and see what comes of it. Can't wait!

I play through an Avatar 2x12 w/ V30's but when I'm recording I usually use Factory Cab 41 (4x12 1960B V30 RW) and it sounds pretty close. I love it for all the high gain stuff.

I have enjoyed turning the 6505+ into the 6534+ with the new feature of changing tube types, gives it a slightly different sound.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Friedman HBE and the TripTik Modern. Both, especially the Friedman, have an extremely tight low end without major tweaking. Reduce the lower mids with an EQ, and they will sit very well in the mix.

5153 red and Herbie CH3 are my current favorites. I used to love the FAS Modern, but for some reason it sounds really thin these days compared to these 2. Who knows lol.

EDIT: I take it back I just went and messed with the FAS Modern... it kills hahahha. Bye-bye Herbie

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Friedman HBE and the TripTik Modern. Both, especially the Friedman, have an extremely tight low end without major tweaking. Reduce the lower mids with an EQ, and they will sit very well in the mix.

I completely agree. The HBE sounds huge right out of the box... a quality which stands out among other higher gain presets.

Last edited:
I don't play metal but modern hard rock, and my main amp is the Friedman HBE with the 808 in front as a clean boost.

Back
Top Bottom