Message in a bottle andy summers sound tonematch

I think it is legit for someone to enjoy tone chasing in it's own right, and not be interested in performance or what I would call being a musician.

The same for gear hounds that are more interested in gear vs. the music and musicianship.

For musicians, this creates a natural tension. I can understand the holy grail tone chasers, but I'm not one. I tire of endless tweaking and just concentrate on the music and performance. My greatest joy comes from the creation of the music and energy that comes off of a live crowd.

I continue to be inspired by my musical influences and continue to fantasize about playing and shredding things that I am still unable to play, so the guitar nerd in me is alive and well too :)

Oh, and btw , THIS :

To my ears, my EBYT recording sounded good with the backing track. Period. These other MIAB attempts are either too overwhelming over the backing track, or are barely evident enough to stand out. Perhaps this is subjective, but that is my position and it is an honest one. Anyway, moving on.

here's your every breath you take compared to the original
https://clyp.it/faraj3f5

here's my version of message in a bottle compared to the original
andy summers (0:00 - 0:03) / axe fx II (0:03 - 0:06) /andy summers (0:06 - 0:10) / axe fx II (0:10 - end)

not saying you are wrong, but we clearly don't hear the same thing.at all.

Last edited:
NAILED IT ..., in ALL aspects !

You're not saying it, but I will .... Clearly the guy came here w/ an agenda ... ! From the very 1st post .... Even the title of the thread ....

I BET YOU CANNOT MATCH THIS TONE The only two threads he's posted in ( this one, and the one he created ).

He'd made up his mind before he even showed up here ....

His own examples clearly supported your points, not his own .... And all he wanted to do was 'poop' on everyone's attempts to help him out.

You guys have WAY more patience with him that I do, and I'll go so far to say that if he actually "believes" what he's spouting ..., than his talent might not be able to fill up a thimble .... And in either event, I wouldn't give you $ 0.02 for his ears, because either he's got damaged hearing, or he's pretty much tone deaf !

Oh, and btw , THIS :

here's your every breath you take compared to the original
https://clyp.it/faraj3f5

here's my version of message in a bottle compared to the original
andy summers (0:00 - 0:03) / axe fx II (0:03 - 0:06) /andy summers (0:06 - 0:10) / axe fx II (0:10 - end)

not saying you are wrong, but we clearly don't hear the same thing.at all.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't sound good. If you achieved the right sound, I would be the first to admit and applaud you for it repeatedly.

Your take just sounds robotic, I mean, I could literally imagine it being done with a talkbox. Listen to how clear and distinct each note is in the original. Yours fails to capture that punch.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't sound good. If you achieved the right sound, I would be the first to admit and applaud you for it repeatedly.

Your take just sounds robotic, I mean, I could literally imagine it being done with a talkbox. Listen to how clear and distinct each note is in the original. Yours fails to capture that punch.

i don't agree with you.again, we don't hear the same thing, sorry.
and for some reason i prefer my hearing, because i'm happy with what i have :) , really sorry for you that you can't find the gear that satisfy you, good luck for your search , tried to do my best to help you , have a nice day :)

Last edited:
i don't agree with you.again, we don't hear the same thing, sorry.
and for some reason i prefer my hearing, because i'm happy with what i have :) , really sorry for you that you can't find the gear that satisfy you., good chance for your search , tried to do my best to help you , have a nice day :)
I really do appreciate the effort, and again, I mean no offence.

What are you monitoring on???

I am sitting in my mix room. On my studio monitors, that track is very very very close to the original. I mean really close; not "close enough".

It sounds good loud or soft (which is a good test of the harmonic balance).

@stefherbuel is that the preset you posted?? WOW

And yes, there was no name calling or trolling of any kind throughout this discussion, so again, I have no idea what everyone is getting so worked up over.

People are worked up over the fact that you continue to tell them that many VERY good emulations are nowhere close to the tone, all the while insisting that your take of MIAB is almost indistinguishable from the original.

You have, IMO, insulted some talented guys by referring (between two threads) to their tone/playing as "digital" and "robotic", among other things.

This forum is possibly the most positive gear-related forum on the internet, and chock full of extremely talented individuals - many of which will go far out of their way to help me or you achieve what you are trying to do.

If any single piece of gear will get you what you are after, it is an Axe Fx.

Even if I disagree with your opinions of your tone (and that of others), I truly think you would be making a mistake to rule out the Axe Fx based on a couple of forum threads that don't meet your demands.

Buy one and prove us wrong! Whether you achieve that holy grail tone or not, I'd be very surprised if you don't end up agreeing that the tone is in the box.

I missed the other thread, but as the guitarist in a Police/Sting band I try to keep up on all this stuff - and have long since given up on true tone match approaches...because NO ONE CARES when we play live...in fact, if I spend more time tweaking I go crazy. :)

MOST IMPORTANTLY is that Andy himself never gets those recorded tones anymore - I spend more time listening to his live playing and I really enjoy most of his live tones more than the recorded ones!

The good part of having spent too much time on line is that I know what Stef H's hands do....
And some guy typing up a storm..well he types a mofo if a solo. Stef put it out time and time again.

didn't understood everything ed.. (the 2nd sentence : even online translation does not work lol) , but i hope it's "good" because you're a f****** great guitar player so any compliment by you would made my day :)

What are you monitoring on???

I am sitting in my mix room. On my studio monitors, that track is very very very close to the original. I mean really close; not "close enough".

It sounds good loud or soft (which is a good test of the harmonic balance).

@stefherbuel is that the preset you posted?? WOW
I would actually like to know what you guys are monitoring on, because I can tell you right now, I could listen to this through $5 earphones and the tone would still sound like it is done through a talkbox to me. I've listened to the clip about 20 times and it honestly sounds like Andy simply switches on a talkbox after the first few seconds. We're not halfway there or living on a prayer dammit!

Alright, I'm done. Clearly I won't be getting this tone replicated, and Axe FX is not the product for me.

A few things that occur to me on this fine day:

The axefx may not be for everyone but you will not find a single piece of equipment that offers an equal depth and quality of tools.
It is not reasonably possible to assemble multiple pieces of equipment that match the depth and quality the axefx offers, within its price range.
There may be variables that the axefx cannot reproduce, ie, the players fingers, out board equipment used, ect. However, the tools included in the axefx are suitable to reproduce just about any guitar rig that you can conceive of.
If you can't get a "tone match" close enough with the axefx, it is unlikely you will get it anywhere.
According to certain sources, Mark Knopfler has not been able to reproduce the "Money for Nothing" tone although he knows exactly what equipment was used to record that sound.

Some other things I consider from time to time:

Some people may not even realize how there own bias influences what they hear.
Some people may deny that their bias influences what they hear.
Some people are delusional; they think they can sing, but enter into irrational rationalizations, when, upon audition, Simon informs them that, in fact, they cannot sing. This is one of the guitarmikes' "Laws of Human Behavior" and is not limited to "singing".
Some douche bags think they are human beings.
Ironically, some humans are really douche bags.
It is possible that both can "type".
It is better to burn out than to fade away...

Re-reading some of my recent posts has made me realise what an arse I've been to people who were, for the most part, just trying to help. I even had a slight chuckle when I realised that literally none of it was even remotely intentional and the honesty actually achieved the opposite of what I intended. That's irony for you.

I just want this tone and I don't know what I'm going to do about it. I guess this is the level of insanity you reach when you have nothing else of value in your life.

Re-reading some of my recent posts has made me realise what an arse I've been to people who were, for the most part, just trying to help. I even had a slight chuckle when I realised that literally none of it was even remotely intentional and the honesty actually achieved the opposite of what I intended. That's irony for you.

I just want this tone and I don't know what I'm going to do about it. I guess this is the level of insanity you reach when you have nothing else of value in your life.
That part about rereading your posts—if more people did that, the Internet would be a better and friendlier place. Good on ya.

So...order up the Fractal modeler of your choice, knowing there's a two-week return policy. Set up a brand-new thread, titled something like, "Help me dial in Message In a Bottle." Establish a collaborative spirit instead of a dare. See how close you can get in two weeks, with everyone (including you) contributing ideas and examples.

Meanwhile, spend some time with the factory presets, switching effects in and out, to get an idea of what the box is capable of. Build one or two of your own presets, too, from scratch.

At the end of two weeks, you'll have a good idea of how close you can get to the tone you've been chasing for years; you might already have it by then. And you might just get a handle on why people are saying that if anything can nail the tone for you, this is it. :)

Back
Top Bottom