Meshuggah tonematch extravaganza!

Hi everybody!

I've been a meshuggah fan for quite some time now and ever since I heard about them playing 8-string guitars I wanted to have one!
When Ibanez came out with their first ever production 8-string I got one right away.
I had fun with it for a while but I eventually sold it.
Since then I've owned some other 8-string guitars from LTD, Schecter and Agile.
None of those guitars really got me to where I wanted.
Enjoy!

Sounds pretty close on most.

One thing that I have noticed about the Tone match: Listen to your "break those bones" section. It sounds like there is a high end "popping or clicking" noise to it. I do a lot of tone matching and notice this faintly in a lot of my patches...mostly when playing palm muted. I also notice my tone matched patches tend to have more pronounced feedback/em interference/unwanted high end/ whatever it really is...but I also tone match after running through cabs sometimes. Do you have any ideas about correcting this?

Sounds pretty close on most.

One thing that I have noticed about the Tone match: Listen to your "break those bones" section. It sounds like there is a high end "popping or clicking" noise to it. I do a lot of tone matching and notice this faintly in a lot of my patches...mostly when playing palm muted. I also notiice my tone matched patches tend to have more pronounced feedback/em interference/unwanted high end/ whatever it really is...but I also tone match after running through cabs sometimes. Do you have any ideas about correcting this?

I don't know about the feedback thing but the 'Break the bones' sound was really hard to match and didn't turn out as good as the others
For the koloss sounds I recommend the cubase V2 presets.

Bravo!
I usually don't like tonematches, 'cause they have always sounded too thin/fizzy to me... Not the case here.

These sound superb. Very well balanced and they translate great in my 8-string Schecter Blackjack w/ SD Pegasus/Sentient set. I haven't tested your Metallica tonematches, but i already downloaded them and will give them a try too, 'cause these Meshuggah tones kick ass.

Thanks for sharing your work and congrats for the new 8-string. I believe it plays like a dream.

These are fun man . at 1st I wasnt digging them but as soon as I chucked on some drum grooves and riffed away they sounded great in the mix

don't have an 8 so been using my 7 in drop A with BKP Juggs

I have tried and failed to tonematch many times. I tried doing a match off of koloss, pulled up FAS Modern "controls to noon" 808stomp up front. TM Block, but it never comes close. What sources do you use for your matches?. Can you give me a walkthrough of your method?

I have tried and failed to tonematch many times. I tried doing a match off of koloss, pulled up FAS Modern "controls to noon" 808stomp up front. TM Block, but it never comes close. What sources do you use for your matches?. Can you give me a walkthrough of your method?

Well it's not an easy question to answer but I wrote a tutorial about how I made my Metallica matches that is somewhere in the Axe FX II wifi.
The most important things are to:

1-Get a guitar that is similar or the same as the guitar used in the recording.
In the case of Meshuggah you will need an 8-string guitar (for the most recet stuff anyway) with a long scale, preferably 29.4 inches.
Passive pick-ups like Lundgren M8's would be best.
I actually own a Meshuggah sigature Ibanez model called the M80M, this helps a lot obviously.
2-Figure out what gear was used for the recording you are trying to match.
Fas Modern won't really get you there for example because they mostly use Recto models with tubescreamers to tighten up the tones.
This is how they achieve their heavy, thick yet articulate tones.
I own Cubase 7.5 wich has some presets made by the guys from Meshuggah, this also gave me some insight and good tips on how to achieve similar tones.
After all, they have really defined the 8-string guitar sound.
3-Find good recordings.
Find tracks where there are isolated guitar riffs like the intro from 'Stengah'.
Before you do the matching get as close as you can to the tone.

I hope this helps!

I just explored these using axe-manage. the first one 4x12 metal is a cab but everything else is presets, so I just imported them all (except the 4x12 metal, that one needed axe-manage cab import) in my axe-fx and I've got to say holy mooooly!!! they're eeeeeexcellent!!!! am I free to use these in my own productions? it's like stealing candy from a little kid (I hate that expression, I would never steal :p ) of course I will give you credit for everything. I would never get this close to Meshuggah if it weren't for you :'D my axe-fx holds so much power now. I feel like a tonegod, sitting here in my chair in my homestudio now :p muhhahahha!!!! :devilish: or tonedevil that is I guess.. anyways, now it's about making original music so I don't just sound like Meshuggah.. It's like the Holdsworthtone.. once someone got the swells down or "chambered" leadtone everyone is like "you Holdsworth copycat!" :D I looooove the sound of Holdsworth/Fredrik Thordendal :p nothing wrong with that :D I think I found out about Fredriks lead sound a while ago.. I used a chorus with the expression pedal assigned to "rate". that way it sounds a bit singing when you push it foreward on each note. I think that's what Fredrik does? I used the chorus on my vox ad120vt, I think it's a digital chorus - extreme chorus kind of. I don't know which chorus in the axe-fx it is most similar to.

from the manual: "CHORUS: A model of a lush sounding, analogue chorus unit that many consider
to be the industry standard. In the case of the AD120VT, this effect is stereo." I guess it was analogue then :p

I'm also trying to find out what model this could be in the axe-fx:

"US HIGAIN: This is modeled on the Overdrive Channel of an all-tube, 100 Watt head built in
1991 and covered in snakeskin! This high gain, power house was designed by a
guy who also builds and drives Hot Rod cars so it should come as no surprise that
the originals controls all go to eleven - after all, “that’s one louder innit!” (© Nigel
Tufnel!) US HIGAIN is capable of a powerful, heavily saturated sound that combines
an open low-end with compressed mids and highs. The result is a tone that
remains focused and well defined at even the most extreme gain settings.
These attributes have made this head a favorite with several of the world’s leading
players and its versatility make it ideal for a wide variety of purposes and styles.
Original’s tube compliment: 4 x 12AX7s in preamp, 4 x 6L6s in power amp."

I just explored these using axe-manage. the first one 4x12 metal is a cab but everything else is presets, so I just imported them all (except the 4x12 metal, that one needed axe-manage cab import) in my axe-fx and I've got to say holy mooooly!!! they're eeeeeexcellent!!!! am I free to use these in my own productions? it's like stealing candy from a little kid (I hate that expression, I would never steal :p ) of course I will give you credit for everything. I would never get this close to Meshuggah if it weren't for you :'D my axe-fx holds so much power now. I feel like a tonegod, sitting here in my chair in my homestudio now :p muhhahahha!!!! :devilish: or tonedevil that is I guess.. anyways, now it's about making original music so I don't just sound like Meshuggah.. It's like the Holdsworthtone.. once someone got the swells down or "chambered" leadtone everyone is like "you Holdsworth copycat!" :D I looooove the sound of Holdsworth/Fredrik Thordendal :p nothing wrong with that :D I think I found out about Fredriks lead sound a while ago.. I used a chorus with the expression pedal assigned to "rate". that way it sounds a bit singing when you push it foreward on each note. I think that's what Fredrik does? I used the chorus on my vox ad120vt, I think it's a digital chorus - extreme chorus kind of. I don't know which chorus in the axe-fx it is most similar to.

from the manual: "CHORUS: A model of a lush sounding, analogue chorus unit that many consider
to be the industry standard. In the case of the AD120VT, this effect is stereo." I guess it was analogue then :p

I'm also trying to find out what model this could be in the axe-fx:

"US HIGAIN: This is modeled on the Overdrive Channel of an all-tube, 100 Watt head built in
1991 and covered in snakeskin! This high gain, power house was designed by a
guy who also builds and drives Hot Rod cars so it should come as no surprise that
the originals controls all go to eleven - after all, “that’s one louder innit!” (© Nigel
Tufnel!) US HIGAIN is capable of a powerful, heavily saturated sound that combines
an open low-end with compressed mids and highs. The result is a tone that
remains focused and well defined at even the most extreme gain settings.
These attributes have made this head a favorite with several of the world’s leading
players and its versatility make it ideal for a wide variety of purposes and styles.
Original’s tube compliment: 4 x 12AX7s in preamp, 4 x 6L6s in power amp."

Ofcourse you can use the sounds for your own productions!
I tweaked the lead patch since making that older one with chorus.
It just wasn't 'there' with the chorus effect.
I now actually use detune to get that chorus sound (which doesn't modulate like chorus).
I'll upload that patch when I revisit the tonematches!

I think maybe the chorus in my vox ad120vt detunes too, I'm not sure but it's a more "Fredrish" kind of chorus effect :p I tweaked your preset some:

left input on drive and amp (does this matter?)
modeling mode: smooth
no bass,treble or prescence - mids on 10
fat bright and boost on
pick attack -100%
Analog stereo chorus:
Rate attached to expression pedal
depth 10%
mix 50%
LFO phase 0 deg
voices 2
width 50%
auto depth off (important)
Enhancer block after the delay:
Width: 100%
Depth: 100%
low cut 200 hz
High cut 20000hz
Rever block after Enhancer:
Large room
Time 3,25 sec
Size: 100
Color: 100
mix 20%

oh, and to sound more "Fredrik" I play in melodic minor :) I think he does too, at least sometimes. among harmonic major etc. melodic minor is my favourite scale though :D it's so beautiful :') yeah I know, it's just a scale. tell that to Yngwie though! *harmonic minor extravaganza* :p

Preset:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - M80M Fredrik Lead2 - by Cobrango

Last edited:
Interesting, according to the guitar tech Fredrik is using delay for the solos. whatever causes detuning I guess. lots of ways to get in the ballpark, but only Fredrik knows how to hit the magic plank with the ball.

I think maybe the chorus in my vox ad120vt detunes too, I'm not sure but it's a more "Fredrish" kind of chorus effect :p I tweaked your preset some:

left input on drive and amp (does this matter?)
modeling mode: smooth
no bass,treble or prescence - mids on 10
fat bright and boost on
pick attack -100%
Analog stereo chorus:
Rate attached to expression pedal
depth 10%
mix 50%
LFO phase 0 deg
voices 2
width 50%
auto depth off (important)
Enhancer block after the delay:
Width: 100%
Depth: 100%
low cut 200 hz
High cut 20000hz
Rever block after Enhancer:
Large room
Time 3,25 sec
Size: 100
Color: 100
mix 20%

oh, and to sound more "Fredrik" I play in melodic minor :) I think he does too, at least sometimes. among harmonic major etc. melodic minor is my favourite scale though :D it's so beautiful :') yeah I know, it's just a scale. tell that to Yngwie though! *harmonic minor extravaganza* :p

Preset:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - M80M Fredrik Lead2 - by Cobrango

Great tone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom