Mesa Tremoverb ?

I had a couple tremoverbs. They were great dual recs, rounder highs, barky mids and loose lows. The mids were the main thing, an extreme bark/growl.

There was something special about the Tremoverb. I think there was some small design difference in there (but can't remember off the top of my head what it was.)

To me it was the best sounding Mesa model out there. IMO.

Can confirm. I used to run 2 Trem-O-Verbs before I went to an Uberschall/Twin setup. Lovely amps. They are soooo hard to get nowadays

Fabio can you remember what was different about them? I think they were kind of going for a Marshall vibe, and it came out as a hybrid.

But it's the one Mesa amp that I played that I went...woo! And one Mesa that didn't need to be silly loud to hit a sweet spot.

Fabio can you remember what was different about them? I think they were kind of going for a Marshall vibe, and it came out as a hybrid.

But it's the one Mesa amp that I played that I went...woo! And one Mesa that didn't need to be silly loud to hit a sweet spot.

IIRC the gain/dirty sounded different to the other Rectos. It had a snarl about it that I can't describe. No idea what was going on under the hood. I ran one for clean and the other dirty/lead. I remember the sound guy moaning that he had to mic up an extra guitar and wondering why I didn't just switch between channels. Simple. It is a 2 channel amp and my whirlwind A/B/Y could switch quicker, especially when i was tap dancing pedals. The cleans were glorious, although I always ran an overdrive on that amp for dirty cleans. They weighed an absolute tonne too.

I would give my left nut to have the Trem-O-Verb added to the Axe. It is so unique in its voicing.

Tremoverb = Recto 1 Normal, turn up negative feedback to max, turn up presence to max, turn up resonance (not resonance, turn up depth) to max.

The preamp distortion I'm convinced is the same as Rev F/G rectifier, the extra low end and high end I'm convinced is all in the power amp, lots more negative feedback in a Tremoverb (on normal channel), probably less input filtering, turn up resonance on the model (because it defaults to off for some reason??), turn up presence to max (presence pot taper on Tremoverb has way more range)...with presence up that high, treble knob becomes a chainsaw, and with resonance turned up the power amp actually puts out the lows. :D

edit: hold up, I meant depth not resonance. turn depth up to max.

Last edited:
I own a Tremoverb. Great amp. Due to all the options, there are multiple possible configurations of the amp. The most important are whether you are running 6L6's or El34's and whether the rectifier setting was set to tube or diode. Here is a link to the amp description (you can see all the possible combinations):

http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/tremoverb.html

My favorite combination was with 6L6's, tube rectifier, spongy and the Orange/Vintage setting.

That model would be great to have in the Axe-FX, that and the Road King.

Recto 2 is a Dual Rectifier Reborn Multi-watt (mid 2010s), it's the latest revision of the dual rectifier preamp circuit and closest to the Road King and Roadster.

The Road King and Roadster are darker than a Dual Rec, but as far as the preamp distortion goes it's pretty spot on. The presence pot tapers on the respective amps are going to be different as well. On Recto 2, try getting the distortion how you like it with the gain and master first, then slightly adjust the Xformer High Freq down a little until the high end smooths out the way you remember, then adjust Power Amp Tube Mismatch up or down ever so slightly (+/- 0.250 is all it takes, the effect is blatantly noticeable as early as +/- 0.050).

One thing worth noting too is that the gain knob does a lot of filtering on it's own, the lower it is the brighter it gets. It helps a lot to turn the gain knob till it sounds right (with all the tone knobs at noon) and then adjust input trim (essentially a clean boost on the input) to increase the distortion to the desired amount. It's a push pull with the gain knob and tone knobs, you can run the gain really high and get away with higher treble and presence settings, where if the gain was lower those treble and presence settings would be too harsh.

There's a lot of weird interaction between the tone knobs on a recto. At some point if you have bass back about 10 o clock, and presence past noon, increasing the bass up to 2 or 3 o clock adds more high end in the top. They all tug and push on each other in a weird way.

Last edited:
Recto 2 is a Dual Rectifier Reborn Multi-watt (mid 2010s), it's the latest revision of the dual rectifier preamp circuit and closest to the Road King and Roadster.

The Road King and Roadster are darker than a Dual Rec, but as far as the preamp distortion goes it's pretty spot on. The presence pot tapers on the respective amps are going to be different as well. On Recto 2, try getting the distortion how you like it with the gain and master first, then slightly adjust the Xformer High Freq down a little until the high end smooths out the way you remember, then adjust Power Amp Tube Mismatch up or down ever so slightly (+/- 0.250 is all it takes, the effect is blatantly noticeable as early as +/- 0.050).

One thing worth noting too is that the gain knob does a lot of filtering on it's own, the lower it is the brighter it gets. It helps a lot to turn the gain knob till it sounds right (with all the tone knobs at noon) and then adjust input trim (essentially a clean boost on the input) to increase the distortion to the desired amount. It's a push pull with the gain knob and tone knobs, you can run the gain really high and get away with higher treble and presence settings, where if the gain was lower those treble and presence settings would be too harsh.

There's a lot of weird interaction between the tone knobs on a recto. At some point if you have bass back about 10 o clock, and presence past 5 o clock, increasing the bass up to 2 or 3 adds more high end in the top. They all tug and push on each other in a weird way.

That's really interesting and probably explains why Recto 2 Red Modern is basically all I use. What's your background, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to know lots of things.

negative feedback maxed, depth maxed, presence maxed = tremoverb?

still sounds like it's missing a lot of mids. the fat switch sounds FAT, but is too much.

Attachments

• Tremoverb.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
that one sux, try this one...

FW 4.00 beta, Recto 1 Normal + factory cab 102. (negative feedback max, presence max, depth max.)

Tremoverb??

Attachments

• Tremoverb 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
That was a beta. That was so...... yesterday.
What guitar/ pickups are you using in your track ?

a Kiesel Vader V6 25.5 scale, mahogany neck thru, mahogany wings, red cedar top, chambered, rosewood fretboard, stainless steel frets with custom fret dressing, Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 bridge, SH-2N Jazz neck

Back
Top Bottom