Mesa Studio Preamp

That kind of smooth lead tones you get whit Studio Preamp ,i hear that Studio Preamp character very clear in that first video. Damn i was miss that unit in past after i was trade that in the Mark III ,that Mark III was sound very cold and harsh compare to that my old Studio Preamp and Marshall 9005 poweramp.

My single favorite lead tone of all time was a from Mesa Studio Preamp (into a 2:90 power amp): Marco Sfogli - "Andromeda":

(Whole song)

great sounding preamp. any significant differences to warrant it's own sim in the axe? if not...which sim is the closest and any tweaks we can do to emulate?

mesaboogie_studiopreampb.jpeg

I have one. We played some shows with Todd Rundgren and Utopia many years ago and Todd was using one at the time. He told me he loved it and was using it direct into his recording console on the Utopia records. He said it was the sound he'd always been looking for. So I went out and bought one myself. I have not compared it to other Mesa Boogies. It still sounds good and is a pretty versatile preamp.

And Simeon OP i think if you want get close to Studio Preamp ,then you should use Axe FX II IIC+ amp there. It have that cream and smooth vintage tone ,and Studio Preamp have FAT and BRIGHT switches also. Studio Preamp do not have that Pull Deep like IIC+ have ,there is only those two features FAT and BRIGHT.

I had a quadpreamp
It was the best sounding thing ever

I had to sell it due to switching issues that I couldn't alleviate and didn't have the footswitch- so I sold it

And Simeon OP i think if you want get close to Studio Preamp ,then you should use Axe FX II IIC+ amp there. It have that cream and smooth vintage tone ,and Studio Preamp have FAT and BRIGHT switches also. Studio Preamp do not have that Pull Deep like IIC+ have ,there is only those two features FAT and BRIGHT.

well messing about yesterday, i used the IIc brt/dp with fat and bright on. mid on full. i increased sag slightly, raised dynamic pres to 4, increased bright cap to 300 (as scott said he changed his, but i have no idea of the value), increased power amp bias to 0.1 and changed the tube to long plate. i ran it into both rumble ev cabs in a stereo cab block. i also tweaked the mesa eq in the amp block by lowering 240 a hair and raising 2200 a hair.

pretty nice tone, but really nothing like scott's. it just doesn't have that harmonic leaping that sounds so amazing.

i'd like to see this box in the axe, definitely.

Nice to hear those settings what you did use there ,i`d like to see also that unit in future for Axe FX II.

well messing about yesterday, i used the IIc brt/dp with fat and bright on. mid on full. i increased sag slightly, raised dynamic pres to 4, increased bright cap to 300 (as scott said he changed his, but i have no idea of the value), increased power amp bias to 0.1 and changed the tube to long plate. i ran it into both rumble ev cabs in a stereo cab block. i also tweaked the mesa eq in the amp block by lowering 240 a hair and raising 2200 a hair.

pretty nice tone, but really nothing like scott's. it just doesn't have that harmonic leaping that sounds so amazing.

i'd like to see this box in the axe, definitely.

that was too bright...listening again this morning. i actually switched to the IIc without any bright or deep and just turned on the fat button. a bit better, but still a long way off scott's tone. i'd love to see how he sets the graphic....

yeah, it's not happening. i get something that i think sounds good on the neck humbucker, but it sounds terrible on the bridge....i give up (for now)

Settings would help a lot for sure.

that was too bright...listening again this morning. i actually switched to the IIc without any bright or deep and just turned on the fat button. a bit better, but still a long way off scott's tone. i'd love to see how he sets the graphic....

a bit better, but still a long way off scott's tone.

Close is the best your gonna get to a studio recording, even if you did have the Mesa Studio in the Axe-Fx.

Remember that the studio, after recording Scott's guitar, it had console saturation on it, they EQ'd it, maybe used some multiband compression or broadband compression.

Then you cannot forget the mastering phase. More saturation, compression, and EQ. Plus limiting, maximizer or whatever trickery the mastering engineer decides to use.

thing is though, if you watch his instructional vids, it's the same tone. maybe a little bit more lo-fi (VHS quality) ...but it's still the same tone...and it still sounds great. and i know all that stuff about studio recording, this isn't my first rodeo

thing is though, if you watch his instructional vids, it's the same tone. maybe a little bit more lo-fi (VHS quality) ...but it's still the same tone...and it still sounds great. and i know all that stuff about studio recording, this isn't my first rodeo

That's cool. Well, I hope you find what your looking for in the Axe-Fx.

hey, finally some love for the Studio Preamp. I had two of them for the last five years and developed a series of nice mods for them. The most famous one is my bass tame mod, which fixes the bass knob value on your desired level when switching from clean into lead mode. This was actually a big seller on Mesa Mark Series over the past 15 years...

Still offering these...

But my biggest improvements was made with the Dumblesipulami-Conversion. Yes - I revoiced the Studio Preamp into a direct recording D-Style Amp Machine....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5nIf30puU

I had one very briefly. Was supposed to be an upgrade to my Peavey Rockmaster preamp, but I couldn't get it to sound good. MB 50/50 power into homemade Celestion 1x12s. It was too gritty. Not smooth at all. Must have done something wrong. AFAIK I tried everything. Traded it back for another Rockmaster, the one I had was sold in the mean time. Liked the first one better . Still better than the Studio. For me.

Simeon,
I have a Studio preamp
Also have a Peavey Rockmaster, Kasha Rockmod II and a few others I can't think of at the moment 8)

Had a Studio Preamp for 7 years (2004-2011) together with a Peavey 50/50 a Digitech LE2101 preamp/effects unit and some midi-switcher and was bloody happy with it. This preamp did have great sounds. Dit not try the Mark stuff on the Axe Fx yet but surely shoud give it a try. Had a Quad and an Access also just before the Studio but the Studio beat them. The Quad had more possibilities but somehow I got bored running around with a 10U 60kgs rack and sold all of them. No regrets, but hell was the Studio a good preamp, probably the best I ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom