Mesa Recto vs Fractal

Gregmang

Fractal Fanatic
So tonight I did a cool experiment and I'm asking for my fellow guitar heads to chime in. Attached is a song (or just two guitar tracks) I started at least 8 years ago. There are two guitar tracks (one panned hard left and one panned hard right). One of them was recorded with my 2-channel Mesa Triple Recto through 2 Mesa cabs with Celestion V30 speakers and mic'd with 2 Shure SM-57's.

Tonight I decided to replicate the exact recording chain with my Fractal - down to the EL-34s in the Mesa (normally they run 6L6's), the preamp 12ax7's (JJ), the exact stomp box chain (Boss SD-1 before the amp, an Eq and delay in the loop), the exact same Mesa speaker cabs with the exact same speakers recorded with the exact same microphones.

Even the wav files look the same.

Can you guitar heads tell me which recording (far left or far right) was recorded 8 years ago with all analog gear and which I recorded an hour ago with a Fractal ? I used the same guitar btw - a PRS CU24.

Please reply with your guesses as well as to why you think one track is Mesa goodness and the other is Fractal goodness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvahjfdsifskkpl/Fractal VS Mesa.mp3?dl=0

Before I even click on the link, are you asking us to differentiate between two tracks with one panned left and the other panned right? If so, that's absolutely ridiculous. Why not isolate the tracks and switch between the two? That'd give us a better environment to judge in.

*Clicked Link*
Yup. I was right. This is a terrible test to determine which is which.

To give more useful information:
You want the listening environment to be identical. Your ears aren't identical.

You can't accurately juxtapose a sound between your left and right ears.

Back
Top Bottom