Mesa Recto 2x12

CraigP

Inspired
It seems that this cab is really heavy on the low end recently. I did not notice that it was boomy until recently. I have to turn the bass and res completely off and it stills sounds like it needs a mid/treble boost.
The cab has two V30 in it and I am not sure if it is the speakers breaking in or if my ears are just off lately. I am wondering if it may just be a "me" issue.
Running a DSL100HR and DSL40C into it, having the same effect. Maybe this is how it balances out after speaker break-in? Tweaking my EQ now
:)

Not a complaint, just a curious observation at this point and I am waiting a bit before ordering another $300 in speakers.

Or change anything else in the room? Even wall decorations and stuff like that?

I had an os recto 4x12 years ago and I used to think some days it sounded like a wet sponge and other days it was amazing...I always attributed it to the amps or just my own condition though.

It seems that this cab is really heavy on the low end recently. I did not notice that it was boomy until recently. I have to turn the bass and res completely off and it stills sounds like it needs a mid/treble boost.
The cab has two V30 in it and I am not sure if it is the speakers breaking in or if my ears are just off lately. I am wondering if it may just be a "me" issue.
Running a DSL100HR and DSL40C into it, having the same effect. Maybe this is how it balances out after speaker break-in? Tweaking my EQ now
:)

Not a complaint, just a curious observation at this point and I am waiting a bit before ordering another $300 in speakers.
I have a Mesa 2x12 and a DSL 100. The Mesa definitely puts out some oomph with the DSL (I have the 90’s version with the Deep switch), but it’s easy to dial in.

The Clean mode gets REALLY low end heavy, so I’d recommend switching it to Crunch mode with the gain low around 2 or so. That will clean up the low end and make it play better with your lead channel. With your lead channel, try using as little gain as you can to get the tone you want. That will also clean up the low end with high gain. I always preferred Lead 1 with the gain no higher than 5, but that’s just me.

That amp tends to like boosted mids around 7-10 and presence around 6. Dial in treble and bass to taste and you should be set.

Good luck!
-Justin

One more thing. I take it you’re just running a head and cab without using the Fractal, right?

If you ARE using a Fractal in the chain, make sure you bypass any cab sims in your preset, and know that the Marshall is going to color the tone of your Fractal unit.

If you want to use just Fractal and a cab, you’ll need to get a power amp for the best results. There are lots of threads regarding power amps, but I’ve had great luck with Matrix power amps for a pro-level rig. I’ve also heard that people have decent luck with the Electro-Harmonix Magnum 44 for those who need something compact, inexpensive, and not a ton of volume.

Reactions: Rex
If the cab is on the ground, pick it up and put it on something....reduce the low end created by coupling with the floor.
I sold my Mesa 2x12 because it was too bottom heavy (with Axe or Tube Amps)

If the cab is on the ground, pick it up and put it on something....reduce the low end created by coupling with the floor.
I sold my Mesa 2x12 because it was too bottom heavy (with Axe or Tube Amps)
It is about 4 inches off the floor on the casters. I haven't played with it in a few days due to a change in my work schedule but hope to get back at it in the next day or two, I may roll some tubes in my amps also and see if that changes for better or worse.

It is about 4 inches off the floor on the casters. I haven't played with it in a few days due to a change in my work schedule but hope to get back at it in the next day or two, I may roll some tubes in my amps also and see if that changes for better or worse.
Yeah, I had mine on casters too. You can try putting it on something that makes it waiste-ish level. That may help.

I notice with the MESA Recto 2X12 Cabs that I really need to hear the speaker directly. I had the 2X12 horizontal, but now own the 2X12 Vertical. The tone from the JP-2C drastically changes if I move around off-axis from the speaker. MESA uses only UK built V30s (exclusive deal) and claim their V30s are the best. So, keep them if you decide to swap speakers.

On the other hand, my EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head and 212 Cab seem to be much more forgiving and fill the space better. I'm not sure why. It could be the Heads though. It's extremely hard to get a bad tone from the EVH 5150 III. Where as the JP-2C is more versatile in tones, but harder to dial in. I've run the EVH through the MESA Recto, but don't recall any tonal issues off-axis from the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom