Mesa Mark V - Nasal Sound with Low-End Loss with FX8

Yes, nasal tone and loss of low end indicates a phasing issue, most def.

I have a Mark V with the FX8 and could not be happier. I mainly purchased the FX8 due to its "ZERO TONE SUCK" features and the unit just delivers in spades! :):cool:
Using 4CM here with factory presets.

I have a Mark V with the FX8 and could not be happier. I mainly purchased the FX8 due to its "ZERO TONE SUCK" features and the unit just delivers in spades! :):cool:
Using 4CM here with factory presets.

Even on Channel 2 Crunch mode? That seem to be the only channel I'm experiencing major "tone suck".

If it's a problem with the amp's loop, it'd be very strange if the issue is limited to just one amp channel.

Even on Channel 2 Crunch mode? That seem to be the only channel I'm experiencing major "tone suck".
Try turning the switch on ch#2 eq (off position o) and see if this fixes naselthing. The 750 slider will start to get middy the higher you raise it.

As far as tone suck? No both of mine are good.

Hi there,

I don't play CH2 that much but I didn't notice any tone suck either. I've played Mark V with Boss GT-10 for years with 4CM and had tone suck issues on CH3 like added "bottom end" and "loss of grain in the distortion". The workaround to minimize it was to lower the SEND level (around 10 o'clock) and carefully dial the 750 hz frequency in the GRAPH EQ.
The FX8, on the other hand, was incredibly PLUNG AND PLAY with zero tone suck at all. Really it was that amazing, specially for me that suffered from tone suck for a long period of time.

Do you know if your amp has a parallel loop?
I had similar issues when I still had my old Dual Rectifier with parallel loop: I couldn't use fx like delay in the loop 'cause I would get horrible digital clipping and phasing issues... I had to mod the fx loop from parallel to serial and that fixed the problem.

In a parallel loop situation, even with the mix knob maxed out the mix is never fully 100%, but there's a 5-10% "bleeding", resulting in some fx to cause digital clipping and all sorts of weird behaviours.

Not surprisingly, newer Dual Rectifier models feature a serial loop, but if I'm not wrong it should be the same for the Mark series...

Last edited:
Mark V has serial loop, and one of the best in the business!
Not sure if the OP has done a factory reset in the FX8 and tried running the Mark V with patch cable in the loop.

With the lack of other reported issues with the Mark V don't rule out the possibility of it being a preamp tube. Since it only happens on channel 2, the first one to check would be V2 as it's the only one dedicated to a gain stage for ch. 2. Tubes V1 and V3 are gain stages for channel 2 as well but also for ch. 1 & 3.

Thanks everyone. My brief love affair with Channel 2 is over so I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the issue further. I may swap one of my Mark IV's preamp tubes in to the Mark V's V2 and see.

Back
Top Bottom