Mesa Lonestar Preview

Satch said:
Is there any parameter that could help me to get a more immediate response and attack from the Plexi? I think that's all I am missing.

Love that tune. I'm no expert, but turning up the Damp parm seems to bring out a more immediate response and attack.

The Lonestar is what Andy uses now, which sounds great. Per the official Resolution transcription book, he recorded most of his Resolution album with a 1968 Marshall Super Lead 100 and a 1979 Marshall JMP. The "Deliver Us" track used those, along with a Tube Works Tube Driver, Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, and Maestro EP-3. The last track, "Headed For the Ditch" does use a Lonestar combo and an AC30.

I love that the Lonestar is being worked on - Andy gets a great tone out of his, but he'd make anything sound good.

The Lonestar is what Andy uses now, which sounds great. Per the official Resolution transcription book, he recorded most of his Resolution album with a 1968 Marshall Super Lead 100 and a 1979 Marshall JMP. The "Deliver Us" track used those, along with a Tube Works Tube Driver, Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, and Maestro EP-3. The last track, "Headed For the Ditch" does use a Lonestar combo and an AC30.

I love that the Lonestar is being worked on - Andy gets a great tone out of his, but he'd make anything sound good.

When I started on this I was trying to copy the sound in a new YouTube video where Andy was explaining his latest rig with the Lonestars, BB, etc. Once I got the sound down I then went through my AT catalog and realized the only song I can play worth a cr*p is Deliver Us.

*EXCITED!!! :D :D :D :D :D*

If it is one amp I always wanted to see in there it would be the lonestar!

and yes, PLEASE don't forget G1 users with this one! :p (even if we have to wait on a bug fix to get it! :p)

When I started on this I was trying to copy the sound in a new YouTube video where Andy was explaining his latest rig with the Lonestars, BB, etc. Once I got the sound down I then went through my AT catalog and realized the only song I can play worth a cr*p is Deliver Us.

Ha ha - join the club! I wasn't complaining, I'd LOVE to have the Lonestar model. I was just saying it so that if people are chasing the tones on the Resolution disc, he hadn't moved to the Lonestars at that point. The new Sgt. Pepper CD he's releasing may have Lonestars on it. The Lonestar seems to cover the tones he got on Resolution pretty well though, so I like it all. I've been working on some of his slower stuff, like The Prayer/The Answer, Resolution, and Gone.

Someone mentioned the immediate attack that Andy's tones have which is a key part of his clean sound. I've found that the Damp setting helps bring that out - does that make sense? If AT was dialing in clean tones, would he pick a high Damp value?

The ultimate tone for me is not that on the resolution cd, but some of the youtube demos with the lonestar and the BB preamp, possibly one of the same ones that cliff was referring to.

There's one where he plays electric gypsy and if I can have that tone ALONE in my rig I would be 200% satisfied and never want another sim in the axe again period! :D

except for bass amps :p

I watched those vids over the weekend ..., he's one hell of a player and very good in front of a camera !

jon said:
The ultimate tone for me is not that on the resolution cd, but some of the youtube demos with the lonestar and the BB preamp, possibly one of the same ones that cliff was referring to.

I agree - any AT tones are good with me.

yea I too have gotten in the general ball park, but I could never get that roundness....that full spongey immediacy in the tone....and it's not just his playing either, there's something that I could never quite get....don't know what it is....could just be something in the amp or the interaction with the bb

Wow!! That sounded fantastic, Cliff.
I'm getting more and more excited on the Axe II.
I'm glad I'm on the waiting list, can't wait to give you some money for your magic :)

Per

Back
Top Bottom