Mesa JP2C with Axe Fx: Need recommendation for speaker load box/dummy load

raymitchell

Hey guys!
So, I've been thinking about buying a Mesa JP2C head to use with the Axe Fx (a II XL+ in my case) and, while I have my trusty old Weber Mass 150 load box, I was wondering which load box is the cleanest/most transparent. I'm looking for recommendations. Oh, I should point out that I'm not necessarily looking for a load box that can host/run cab IR's - it it does, then that's just a bonus.

The way I want to run my signal chain:

Guitar into Axe Fx > Mesa JP2C running in 4CM mode with Axe Fx BUT, with the output from the Mesa coming from a load box so as to keep the Mesa's on-board EQ in the signal chain to the Axe Fx > Output of Axe Fx into either a Mesa 2:90 power amp or, maybe a VHT Two/Fifty/Two power (not sure which one yet).

The reason I want to do the signal chain like this is

1. I want the entire sound of the JP2C hitting the Axe Fx and in order to do that, you gotta use a load box because the FX loop of the Boogie is pre-graphic eq.
  2. I want to be able to flip between the JP2C "preamp" and Axe Fx preamp models.
  3. I want to be able to use the Axe Fx for cab IR's for the JP2C when needed.
  4. Because I refuse to play in mono.
Wouldn't it be cool if Mesa made the Cab Clone with a "no speaker" option? That way you could use the Cab Clone as a built-in dummy load with just a clean output tap that has NO cab modelling. I don't want 'closed back, vintage, and open back' options. Just a simple load resistor with a clean, clear output jack. Anyhoo, I digress.

Thanks for the load box recommendations in advance,

Cheers!

I have a Torpedo Reload loadbox I use with a Mark V.
Works great. Sounds great.
I run signal from loadbox into my Axe FX XL and use various CABs in the Axe.

Last edited:
I have a Torpedo loadbox I use with a Mark V.
Works great. Sounds great.
I run signal from loadbox into my Axe Fc XL and use various CABs in the Axe.
Thanks for that my man! I also had a Mark V for a couple years that I used as my gig amp and I loved it with the exception of channel 2. Just wished channel 2 had a bit more gain on tap. Loved diming everything on channel - in tweed mode and playing glassy sounding stuff with a tele in the bridge position!

So, which Two Notes model do you have?

Thanks for that my man! I also had a Mark V for a couple years that I used as my gig amp and I loved it with the exception of channel 2. Just wished channel 2 had a bit more gain on tap. Loved diming everything on channel - in tweed mode and playing glassy sounding stuff with a tele in the bridge position!

So, which Two Notes model do you have?

The Reload. http://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-reload

It does a ton of things and I am not using all of its capabilities.
I run the line out from it into the AXE and just use the AXE CABs (and add the AXE post amp delays, chorus, reverb) and can record into my DAW from the AXE if I want just like any modeled amp in the AXE.

But it acts as a DI and you can Reamp and it has software with it and you can load CABs/IR's that way also I guess.
I got it used from a guy luckily pretty cheap.
It really does sound great. Blows fuses every few months though so you have to have some spares around.

And yeah- have a love-hate thing with the MARK V.
Had it, got rid of it. Missed it. Especially Channel 1 modes and the Mark I mode in Channel 2.

Got one back. Love it now since i spent more time learning it.

Back
Top Bottom