Mesa help

marc0810

Inspired
Hi, all I have been creating a preset using the USA lead, by itself it sounds great but in a band context it seems to be getting lost. I am at work but will either upload the preset or give my settings later (I have crappy internet). I am using a Carvin guitar with the stock C22 humbuckers. Any tips are appreciated

You'll find this happens a lot. It's just a weird part of playing electric guitar. Tones that sound great by themselves tend to sound "full" and have a lot of treble and bass when you're playing alone. But in a band context, the other instruments take over the treble and bass ranges and you're left with a fizzy mess of tone you can't hear.

If you dial in a great sounding tone in a band context then play it isolated at home, chances are it will sound too mid-heavy, maybe even notchy and spikey in some of the high mid frequencies, and it probably won't have enough gain to really feel great in your hands.

This is normal.

The quickest fix, like Paperjace said, is to boost the mids (the fat switch helps too) and maybe lower the gain just a tad if the mid boost doesn't fix it. The best possible option is to dial in the tone at band practice, but not everybody always has the time, patience, or resources to do that, hah.

Last edited:
I often dial tones in 'while' simultaneously listening to music of a similar type (or not) that I'm going to use that particular preset in... this helps me greatly, to get a "fit in the mix" tone.... It's a songs' 'total frequencies' balancing act.

All I appreciate the responses so far, I do try to dial at gig volume, I will try boosting the mids some, when I made this preset I used values that I got from a thread in here (maybe Yek's?) and everything seems to have mids cut, is there a particular reason why a lot of mesa settings suggest that? I have never played one.

Here is an updated preset that I got using 2112's recommendations from his page. First two scenes are clean, third scene is rhythm, fourth is lead

Attachments

• Us Lead Exp.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom