Mesa experts... advice on 5 band EQ ?

Petrucci "V" EQ Shape:

boogie_graphic.jpg

It would be nice to know how translate that into numbers.
BTW the nicest thing would be FAS adding the 5EQ into the amp block :)

Petrucci "V" EQ Shape:

View attachment 17042

It would be nice to know how translate that into numbers.
BTW the nicest thing would be FAS adding the 5EQ into the amp block :)

It's been said for years but for some reason it never has happened. Like I said earlier the only way to get that sweet tone is with that exact fader frequencies. Which should just be added into that amps amp block. I'm still waiting on the 5150 BLOCK to actually sound like the actual 5150 because they aren't close.

Here are some presets

seq-mesa-boogie.png

Great diagram! I'm running my Axe with a MkIIC+ in 4CM, and I have my EQ set almost identically to #2. I have the EQ engaged all the time, even when I'm using the Axe's preamp (patches dialed accordingly). Also agree with kmanick, make sure the bass is at 2 or less in the tone controls.

Always thought that the EQ wasn't used with the clean Mesa tones.

Me too. And then I watched Trey's rig tour and saw he was using it. Really unlocked a key bit of information about how he got his clean tone from his old MkIII.

The eq depends on you guitar and ir/cab.

I played a Mark V with the usual recto cab, then a mesa 4x10" cab. Totally different things and settings.

I had years of great tones using moab's #1 with the middle band closer to neutral (about half the distance)....

I am a Mesa guy and I HATE scooped sounds, I would never set the famous V curve on any EQ. There is life beyond that EQ setting ;-) But if you are into scooped sounds, then the V is the way to go I guess. Just don't take it for granted that the EQ HAS to be set like that, it is not true.

I'm a Mesa guy too and I do not like "scooped" sounds either. But I gotta say, my Mark V combo is one of the most annoyingly mid-forward amps there is. I think most Marks are like that. There's a reason why they gave you a 750Hz slider. It's because it is barky and annoying without a good bit of it removed. Not saying there isn't a place for that kind of tone, but I would say there's very few applications for it in any of the classic rock, hard rock, or worship tunes that I play. It is definitely not the same type of scooped sounds we hear from modern metal players these days.

Mids are always good to have. In this case, you can put a little of them back into your sounds.

I'm a Mesa guy too and I do not like "scooped" sounds either. But I gotta say, my Mark V combo is one of the most annoyingly mid-forward amps there is. I think most Marks are like that. There's a reason why they gave you a 750Hz slider. It's because it is barky and annoying without a good bit of it removed.

That's why my main amps are tripple rectifiers ;-) But I agree with you, too much mids can be very annoying. I just never got into scooped sounds, to me the frequencies where the guitar is really happening are the mids, if you dial them out completely the sound just gets cold in my opinion, but that's a matter of what you like and what you want to achieve at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom