Mesa Boogie Roadster with Mesa 4x12 Traditional Cab

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

This is how things are looking at rehearsal nowadays. It's getting way too complicated and I love it! :lol

dollars.jpg

So the clip you hear above is actually the Axe-Fx Recto 2 Red Modern but me and Irotlas are kind of doing a tutorial on how to get a Roadster sound with the amp sims that we have here. Right now it's safe to say that the Roadster/Roadking have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PREAMP than a regular Dual Rectifier. Way less low end and way more middles. Almost untweakably different sounds. Like I've said before.. the HBE amp sim is closer to the Roadster if both amps have all settings on noon.

I'm shooting a video explaining how to get this sound when I'm done but I finally got that sound and wanted to post it since I'm extremely happy with how it sounds! :)

Yeah dude! It's the IR most likely. It's got way too many mics blended in it. :D

If your having trouble finding the right IR, there used to be this pretentious and somewhat annoying forum member on here who went by the username "Clark Kent", that regularly posted free IR's he created (that is until he went all "corporate" and started charging for them :roll). Most on here seemed to think his IR's were great (I found them to be ok at best), so you might want to do a search and see if maybe they are what you are looking for.

If your having trouble finding the right IR, there used to be this pretentious and somewhat annoying forum member on here who went by the username "Clark Kent", that regularly posted free IR's he created (that is until he went all "corporate" and started charging for them :roll). Most on here seemed to think his IR's were great (I found them to be ok at best), so you might want to do a search and see if maybe they are what you are looking for.

:lol :lol :lol

I would contact him but I'm afraid he'll charge me for it. That guy sold out!

I know there was a thread awhile ago about getting a Road King/Roadster model for the Axe-Fx, but IIRC Cliff didn't want to do it. Is that still the case? All the clips of that amp I've heard of that amp sound pretty darned good.

I've been enjoying the LD2 Red model quite a bit recently.

I know there was a thread awhile ago about getting a Road King/Roadster model for the Axe-Fx, but IIRC Cliff didn't want to do it. Is that still the case? All the clips of that amp I've heard of that amp sound pretty darned good.

I've been enjoying the LD2 Red model quite a bit recently.

Well he wasn't interested since based on the schematics there shouldn't be a difference between a regular Dual Recto but there sure is based on comparing them side by side.

Well, I don't know the mechanics of how he does the modeling (and I'm sure it's a well-guarded secret), but if his method is solely based on modeling schematics and the schematics are the same, I can understand why he wouldn't want to do it. It'd be like slapping a new label on the same thing.

So.....I bought the roadster...again after two years :D it's ******** awesome. And now I can tweak the axe fx pretty close. Here's a clip I recorded yesterday with roadster and the second part is axe fx Recto2 tweaked as close as I can get it.

Weird this is that you have to put the input trim to 0.500 to match the gain!! I had Roadster REALLY LOUD and matching the AFX Master Volume "1.5" was pretty close. The Recto2 model is definitely not like plug n play as default because the MV is at 4.0 -> useless, I mean many users might just skip this model because default values are "oh, this amp sounds crap and farting **** ".

And for Cab Pack 7 users, set the lo res to 110hz to match SPKR settings.

I love my Axe FX but it's still so much fun to play fully cranked Roadster, I'm really glad now that I have both!

Hey ML,

is the samson a power amp for the axe? if it is, is it any good and how much it cost? how would it compare to say Matrix?

thanks

J.

Did you try experimenting with the Modern III as a starting point? Seems to me like toying with the damping and low cut plus whatever other tweaking you do with that amp sim would get you very close as well.

What would also be VERY cool for you guys to do is figure out the range of the axe version presence+MV knobs compared to your Roadster. That way we get amp sim tweaked to sound like your very own amp with tweakable settings versus a preset of where you leave the knobs. Help people stumbling around with it setting the MV too high, or too much presence on the recto sims.

Did you try experimenting with the Modern III as a starting point? Seems to me like toying with the damping and low cut plus whatever other tweaking you do with that amp sim would get you very close as well.

What would also be VERY cool for you guys to do is figure out the range of the axe version presence+MV knobs compared to your Roadster. That way we get amp sim tweaked to sound like your very own amp with tweakable settings versus a preset of where you leave the knobs. Help people stumbling around with it setting the MV too high, or too much presence on the recto sims.

I'll try Modern III quickly to see if it's closer. :)

We completely cranked the Roadster to as loud as you could ever usably have it and it was comparable to a 2.0 master level.

I know nothing about how the Roadster actually sounds in person, but I took the Modern III and turned negative feedback to 0.01 and the low cut frequency to 13 to match the Recto2 model and it sounds fantastic. I'm liking it better than the Recto2 Red Modern even. Very similar, but the tweaked Modern III has a sort of special characteristic to it. Slightly smoother and more depth.

I further went ahead and copied all the advanced settings from the Recto2 Red Modern over to the Modern III. MV set to 1.5 on Recto2 and 2 on the Modern III with everything else set to noon (depth at 0 on Modern III cause it would be useless now). I also set the tonestack type to Recto2 Red on the Modern III just in case, even though I was fairly sure it was already used as the default type. Very happy with how this sounds.

This is how things are looking at rehearsal nowadays. It's getting way too complicated and I love it! :lol

dollars.jpg

So the clip you hear above is actually the Axe-Fx Recto 2 Red Modern but me and Irotlas are kind of doing a tutorial on how to get a Roadster sound with the amp sims that we have here. Right now it's safe to say that the Roadster/Roadking have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PREAMP than a regular Dual Rectifier. Way less low end and way more middles. Almost untweakably different sounds. Like I've said before.. the HBE amp sim is closer to the Roadster if both amps have all settings on noon.

I'm shooting a video explaining how to get this sound when I'm done but I finally got that sound and wanted to post it since I'm extremely happy with how it sounds! :)

And I tought I was the only one building towers of power!
Great tone BTW :encouragement:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! :) I'm creating an ML Episode on this subject since it deserves it but I'm really busy for some reason.

Isn't the Mesa Stiletto a Marshall type amp?

Back
Top Bottom