Mesa Boogie MkV or Lonestar

Heinzi

Inspired
I´m curious - if you had to pick one amp between those two - Lonestar or MkV, just regarding the quality of clean and crunch sounds - which would you go for? (I know the correct answer is: Axe Fx, hahaha)

Do you think you could dial the MkV at least close to the Lonestar Qualities? Any experiences here?

I'd go with the MKV.

I've had both amps at different points. The Lonestar is amazing, great cleans, super thick crunch channel. At the end of the day the MKV is just more versatile. The MKI mode in channel 2 is very close the lonestar lead, and the cleans in channel one are pretty good. If you only need clean and a thick fat warm lead tone go with the lonestar. For absolute versatility go with a MKV. My 2 cents.

Thanks, that helps a lot- yes that's what i also thought. But you think you couldn't dial this thickness in?

Thanks, that helps a lot- yes that's what i also thought. But you think you couldn't dial this thickness in?

Yeah, there's a little less of that "thickness" I guess. But, you do get the added bonus of having the Graphic EQ sliders. The 2nd slider (I forgot the frequencey...220?) seems to add that thickness and fatness. Just have channel 2 engage it when you want that. My Mark V, I set it up so that Channel 1 was clean, Channel 3 was rhythm and Channel 2 was lead, I also usually boosted with some kind of pedal, usually an RC booster or something.

Yeah, there's a little less of that "thickness" I guess. But, you do get the added bonus of having the Graphic EQ sliders. The 2nd slider (I forgot the frequencey...220?) seems to add that thickness and fatness. Just have channel 2 engage it when you want that. My Mark V, I set it up so that Channel 1 was clean, Channel 3 was rhythm and Channel 2 was lead, I also usually boosted with some kind of pedal, usually an RC booster or something.

I have a Mark V and I agree - The cleans are great much like the Lonestar and you can dial in a good crunch as well with Channel 2 - and don't forget about Channel 3 Mark IV "liquid lead" tone it's addicting.

Channel 2 loves boost/tube screamer type pedals

I have the combo and use the Mesa 2x12 closed extension cabinets - the cabinets definite deliver extra "thickness and punch" that you will not experience much with an open back combo

Combine with theFX8 = good times :)

At first glance I'd say you're asking about apple and oranges. Seems like the Lonestar and the Mark V do vastly different things.

However... does anybody know if the Mark V with proper settings can get close to the Lonestar's cleans and crunch channels? I mean there's no way the Lonestar can ape the tightness of the Mark V's lead channel but I do wonder how close the Mark V could get to the Lonestar with careful tweaking.

I've had several mark amps and preamps (quad preamp is basically a c+ and a III)
I've also had one or two lonestars

The lonestar is cool/sounds good- def not my thing...
So I would go with a Mark V- I'll get when, when I find one at the right price- I'd like to own one.

I'm a huge Road King fan- I have a early Series 1- but the Series 2 Road Kings basically have the same 2 channels as a lonestar- I think-

So I'd like to get a MkV and a RK2- then I'll be set.

I should also mention- I haven't turned on my road king in at least a year and a half- maybe 2 years.

All Fractal direct
(except my new JCM800- which i've yet to mic or record- and still just use the Axefx)

The MK V and the Lonestar are great amps for sure. I've owned the MK V and have played the Lonestar many times. Both amps are versatile, but the Mk V does it "easier" with all its channels and features. This is predicated on the fact you have to spend a little time tweaking it. For me, the Mk V would be the choice because of this. That being said, if you use pedals for different flavors of gain/distortion, the Lonestar is awesome for that--more plug and play IMO, and a great pedal platform amp.

I had a Lonestar for a couple of years. Incredible clean tone, very full and spacious and the drive channel is very thick and smooth. Both channels take pedals very well. My pedalboard consisted of a Barber LTD, MI Audio Crunch Box, Lovepedal Purple Plexi and Xotic BB Preamp. I also used an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff a few times with good results. I ran an Eventide Timefactor and ISP Decimator in the loop. There weren't too many tones I couldn't cover with that setup.
The Mark V offers more versatility from the amp itself but I'd be hard pressed to choose it over the Lonestar rig I had.

Big question is what kinds of tones are you trying to achieve?
Right good point:) Well essentially I really love the tone of the lonestar but especially in studiosituations i need different sounds and I thought the Mark V could be a good compromise of the both worlds

MkV for sure.
It will never sound exactly like a lonestar obviously, but since it has the 2 EQs, you can make it sound loose and heavy either by selecting the Mark I preamp in channel 2, or by using Crunch channel with the Bass really high, and then bring the bass back down with the graphic eq. The MarkV can really do almost anything.

Back
Top Bottom