Wish (partly implemented) Mesa boogie mark V

The same family maybe,

But The mark 4 is more rough sounding. the 5 got a tighter dist, and the clean channel sound different too.

The mark 5 was very popular and adopted by a lot of famous metal bands

Last edited:
The Extreme mode is where it's different. It's unique and to me the best mode of the whole amp.

Manual

"EXTREME in the MARK V benefits from all the years we’ve spent creating these and other high gain modes and we’ve taken liber-
ties with this tribute where there was TONE to be gained. Top end has been warmed, low end has been tightened and the feel has
improved, making EXTREME in the V easier to play and even more expressive than its’ predecessor. There may be some IV owner’s
that prefer the slightly more notched sound of their amps, but the attack, body, girth and versatility of the V’s EXTREME Mode will allow
you to wield this power in more places for more styles – even venturing into some lower gain applications – that the IV dare not go."

The Extreme mode is where it's different. It's unique and to me the best mode of the whole amp.

Manual

"EXTREME in the MARK V benefits from all the years we’ve spent creating these and other high gain modes and we’ve taken liber-
ties with this tribute where there was TONE to be gained. Top end has been warmed, low end has been tightened and the feel has
improved, making EXTREME in the V easier to play and even more expressive than its’ predecessor. There may be some IV owner’s
that prefer the slightly more notched sound of their amps, but the attack, body, girth and versatility of the V’s EXTREME Mode will allow
you to wield this power in more places for more styles – even venturing into some lower gain applications – that the IV dare not go."
Yep sometimes just a switch or a mode make it all. That’s the case of the shred mode switch in the JP2c for example, that change a “standard 2c+” in a modern metal amp

Only focusing/fixating on the gained up channels/modes of the Mark V is missing out
on the best parts of the amp. In my experience. :)

Channel 1 alone has 3 amazing Amps/Tones/Modes right there. Switchable Tube/Silicon
Rectifications is a gamechanger, too./

Only focusing/fixating on the gained up channels/modes of the Mark V is missing out

Channel 1 alone has 3 amazing Amps/Tones/Modes right there. Switchable Tube/Silicon
There is a lot under the hood of the mark v so not much real estate left to add anything else. I'm sure that's why they did not add the cab clone on the 90watt but the 25 watt has it

Sadly I only tried the combo years ago, and with just one cone it wasn’t … hm. The clean was cold and the dist wasn’t really “metal”. I think It is not the same with head and cab

Yes that’s why what I have experienced with the combo always differ with the different demos available. Can be a nice add in the axe as owning the JP2c I don’t really have reason to buy a 5, because the jp you know … 😁
I get it but I would rather have it than not need it than need it than not have it. Im OCD that way. :)

You will have 2 mark 5 on sale soon 😅. Joking.

If one day you can records both heads at same settings or a/b with the same ir if you have a loadbox with the mark 4 in the axe.
To see if we miss something or not 👍🏻
Comparing the Mark V to the Axe IV should be the same differences you have with the JP2C real amp vs models.

There are differences for sure especially doing pinch harmonics, getting the mids, bass just right without losing something. You can get overall tone close BUT the real amp is more easy on the ears as the pitch of the Axe when soloing has more piercing highs. If you try to dial them back it becomes dull. It could be dimension or more of a rounder tone the amp has but the axe is always in your face tone, where the real amp is more laid back, smoother without losing the high end and effortless pinch harmonics that don't kill your ears!

I tend to refer it as tension. Like with different guitars. Some guitars with the same string guage will have more "give" on the low E string while others will have that tight tension for fast rhythms. Meaning the string doesn't bounce around as much. The Axe to me sounds like it has more tension than the real amp. All the frequencies are all in your face. But what you hear all depends on your hearing and your style of playing as well.

As you know describing tone is hard for all because we all use different words that might mean something different to the next person. One thing for sure the 5 band EQ on the axe is waaaay off! Which I know Cliff wanted more of a useful range but yeah IMO it's really not needed and I would prefer to have two versions of that eq. One exact copy of the mark series and than cliffs for eqing other amps.

EDIT: This is testing and listening on headphones and using a loadbox. If you are using the amp or axe live or with a cab your experience WILL be different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom