Mesa Boogie Mark V + Axe FX 2 + MFC-101

You would program the amp gizmo to set whatever channel on the Mark V you want on via midi, while at the same time switching the midi channels with the axe fx via the MFC

What you would need to do is this.

• MFC 101 to Axe FX II, Cat 5 cable carrying midi and power.
  • Axe FX II Midi Out/Thru via midi cable to the Mini Gizmo.
  • Mini Gizmo to Mark V via adapter cable
  • Set Axe FX II to listen on channel 1
  • Set Mini Gizmo to listen on channel 2
  • Set up MFC to send relevent messages on the above channels.

You will also need an adapter cable from RJM for the mini gizmo to Mark V.

This is how I initially set mine up but I experienced delay in the channel switching on the Mark V when I had the Amp Gizmo listening to midi channel 2. However, I now set the Amp Gizmo to listen on midi channel 1 (the same as the Axe) and the switching on the amp occurs just as fast as it does on the Axe. In my opinion, the Axe midi thru creates a slight delay when passing midi messages on multiple midi channels. I cannot speak to this since firmware version 6.0 or so, which is when I switched to having everything on midi channel one. It may be better now. I'd say try both ways and use whatever works best and most suites your needs.

@Stringer76, good to hear after writing the above, and reading the Amp Gizmo manual I think both on Channel 1 would probably be quicker and simpler also.

So revised.

• Set Mini Gizmo to listen on channel 1 (This is the default)

Once the OP gets all his gear it should be fairly straightforward to get it working. I don't have such a set up, but just interested in helping. If we get this documented it should help others later.

What you would need to do is this.

• Set Mini Gizmo to listen on channel 2

You will also need an adapter cable from RJM for the mini gizmo to Mark V.
I have the same setup: MarkV + MFC-101 + Axe FX2 and the Mini Amp Gizmo is in the mail.
Will the Mini Amp Gizmo be able to handle scenes from MFC-101 ?

I have the same setup: MarkV + MFC-101 + Axe FX2 and the Mini Amp Gizmo is in the mail.
Will the Mini Amp Gizmo be able to handle scenes from MFC-101 ?
I have the same rig and I have NOT been able to get scene changes to cause channel changes on the Mark V via the Mini Amp Gizmo. I think the Amp Gizmo only responds to Program Change MIDI commands. I think Scene changes are CC commands.

Would love to be corrected though... :)

Not been on the forum for a while but Scenes use CC changes and the amp gizmo uses PC changes, so you are probably out of luck there. Unless you had an intermediary device to map CC changes to PC changes between the Axe FX and the Gizmo. But at that point if you are doing 4CM it's probably getting more complex than it needs to be.

the mfc IA switches can be programed to send pc and cc messages at the same time on 16 midi channels.

Back
Top Bottom