Mesa Boogie Mark V and FX8 Relay switching issue

BobBrault

Inspired
Recently, an issue has cropped up with with relay switching. Within a preset I have 5 set to my clean channel, 6 is configured to relay switch channel 3 with tip. When I switch back to 5 with no relay for my clean channel, intermittently no sound will be produced from 5. If I switch back to 6, my lead channel produces sound, then switching back to 5 sometimes returns the sound or not. And sometimes, if there is no sound, I strike the my guitar's strings sharply and the sound returns. I've double checked my cables, traded them out with other cables and I am still having an issue. It seems to only happen when I switch from channel 3(lead) to channel 1 (clean). It has not happened if the relays switch from channel 3 (lead) to channel 2 (crunch rhythm).

If anyone has any ideas what I should be looking at, to resolve the issue, any advice would be welcome. I've been troubleshooting this for awhile.

Yes, I have tried the original footswitch. No apparent issue. Thanks for pointing that out, as I had omitted that in my original post.

TRS Cable to Channel 2 -1/4" input rear of head, from Relay 1
TRS Cable to Channel 3 - 1/4" input rear of head, from Relay 2

So, when switching from 3 to none, it defaults to Channel 1 (clean) output will intermittently, drop. No sound. Switching back and forth sometimes brings it back.
However, I've yet to experience a drop when switching from 3 (lead) to 2 (crunch)

IMG_0109.PNG
TRS Cable to Channel 2 -1/4" input rear of head, from Relay 1
TRS Cable to Channel 3 - 1/4" input rear of head, from Relay 2

So, when switching from 3 to none, it defaults to Channel 1 (clean) output will intermittently, drop. No sound. Switching back and forth sometimes brings it back.
However, I've yet to experience a drop when switching from 3 (lead) to 2 (crunch)

am pretty sure the footswitch inputs on the full size mark 5 are TS (see except from the manual below). have you tried using an "insert" cable (with TRS on the fx8 end and two TS in the mark 5 end? two of these should allow you to control all 4 functions

IMG_0109.PNG

I know they are TS. I am using all 4 functions Relay 1 is being used for channels 2 & 3, alternating with tip and ring. Relay 2 is assigned to EQ and Solo, tip and ring respectively. I've been doing this for quite awhile with no issues. I'm not sure it's the FX8, yet. I re-configured everything from the ground up again today. Now, I haven't seen the issue arise in the past hour as I run through my sets for a gig tonight. I'm hoping it's just an anomaly and all is well. But it would be nice to know why? Time is always an issue, so I hope to investigate further when I have a chance. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

I know they are TS. I am using all 4 functions Relay 1 is being used for channels 2 & 3, alternating with tip and ring. Relay 2 is assigned to EQ and Solo, tip and ring respectively.

My bad, I thought you said that you were using relay 1, trs, to control channel 2 and relay 2, trs, to control channel 3.

My bad, I thought you said that you were using relay 1, trs, to control channel 2 and relay 2, trs, to control channel 3.
You weren't incorrect, I tried it both ways after I started having the issue and it was still happening. However, I have been splitting the TRS to dual TS jacks for awhile now. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Is this happening since firmware update? Also double check your dial on the back of the amp is set all the way to the right to foot switch. may have been bumped..

Is this happening since firmware update? Also double check your dial on the back of the amp is set all the way to the right to foot switch. may have been bumped..
Actually it was happening before ver. 3.50 and I updated hoping that would resolve the issue. Double-checked the switch. It is in it's proper position. I didn't have an issue at my gig last night, everything was working normally. I'm going to log any changes I make from now on and if the issue pops up again, perhaps I'll have some useful info, on how to backtrack to the trigger of all this.

Hi there! Sorry I'm coming late to this conversation. Just bought a next-to-new FX-8, going to sell off the G System I've had with my Mesa Mark V for almost 2 years now. Love the sound/effect quality of the Fractal, not to mention its many capabilities! I'm using an RJM mini amp gizmo/custom foot switch cable combination to control all my amp switching now. From what I've been reading the Fractal's relay switching sounds like it works pretty smooth. Any opinions one way or the other? And if I do go to relay switching exactly which configuration of cables/ends am I going to need?!? The only switching I do within my presets is channels 1/2/3, solo boost n mute occasionally. Em stays on, FX loop stays on as I'll be running 4 cable method, just bought some 20ft humbusters. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
J Paul

This is what Best-tronics told me for my MB Mark V stereo rig.

"We can make the cable for you utilizing the built in circuit board of the cable, no problem at all. I would just need to know the length of the cable that you’d like to quote it.

What I personally recommend (to do this the “right” way) would be to purchase two of the RJM Mini Amp Gizmos (one for each head). Connect your FX8 to the Mini Amp Gizmo #1 via a 5 pin MIDI cable. Then, using another 5 pin MIDI cable, connect the Mini Amp Gizmo #2 to the first Mini Amp Gizmo via the MIDI Out/Thru port. You’d need to connect both Mini Amp Gizmo’s to their respective heads via a specialized cable with a circuit board in it.

Either way, we can supply all of this for you and can provide a bundled price to help you out. I know it may seem a little expensive up front; however it will convert the amp switching commands to MIDI signals and allow you to flawlessly switch amp channels."

Hope this helps..

This is what Best-tronics told me for my MB Mark V stereo rig.

"We can make the cable for you utilizing the built in circuit board of the cable, no problem at all. I would just need to know the length of the cable that you’d like to quote it.

What I personally recommend (to do this the “right” way) would be to purchase two of the RJM Mini Amp Gizmos (one for each head). Connect your FX8 to the Mini Amp Gizmo #1 via a 5 pin MIDI cable. Then, using another 5 pin MIDI cable, connect the Mini Amp Gizmo #2 to the first Mini Amp Gizmo via the MIDI Out/Thru port. You’d need to connect both Mini Amp Gizmo’s to their respective heads via a specialized cable with a circuit board in it.

Either way, we can supply all of this for you and can provide a bundled price to help you out. I know it may seem a little expensive up front; however it will convert the amp switching commands to MIDI signals and allow you to flawlessly switch amp channels."

Hope this helps..
Thanks! Since I already have the amp gizmo doing its thing nicely, guess I'll keep that! Just might move the giz to my pedal board instead of where it currently resides in my rack next to the G system brain! I racked it because I had a hellacious time keeping the noise down even after studying the White Paper on G system set-up, keeping all the effect loop connections at 3ft trs cables helped. Just have to figure out how the MIDI scheme is set up on the FX-8 now.....

Thanks! Since I already have the amp gizmo doing its thing nicely, guess I'll keep that! Just might move the giz to my pedal board instead of where it currently resides in my rack next to the G system brain! I racked it because I had a hellacious time keeping the noise down even after studying the White Paper on G system set-up, keeping all the effect loop connections at 3ft trs cables helped. Just have to figure out how the MIDI scheme is set up on the FX-8 now.....

I remember it well.

Back
Top Bottom