Mesa Boogie Mark V - 8pin DIN connector to dual TRS for FX8 relays?

BobBrault

Inspired
I believe awhile back that I saw a post about someone who found a source for the 8 pin DIN split to dual 1/4" TRS cable to connect the FX8 relays. I am aware that I can use the alternative jacks on the back of the Mesa. However, I would like to use the 8 pin DIN input. Any input appreciated.

BTPA has told me that the best solution for the Mark V 90watt is the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and using MIDI to control all switching functions.

I thought so, but I was hoping..
The problem is that (2) TRS ports only control 4 switching functions. The Mesa Mark V (not 35 watt) has much more than this, in regards of switchable functions. Finally, the Mark V has complex circuitry regarding its footswitch. A PCB is required inside of the cable. Din to Fan-Out cables can be made, however the FX8 does not have the capability to handle all functions.

Even if the FX8 had enough ports, the price of a specialty cable with a circuit board to 1/4" fan-out is very high - which will then lead to the thought of "why not just purchase the device to convert to MIDI - with more standardized cables (less points of failure) - for pretty much the same price"

Hope this gives enough info. on the subject.

Hi BTPA_USA

I just purchased the FX8 and I own a Mark V head. Do you think the AMP GIZMO is the best solution for switching channels and using the FX8 in 4CM?

Im from Brazil so I would have to import this device, just need to make sure what to get exactly

Thank you

Hi BTPA_USA

I just purchased the FX8 and I own a Mark V head. Do you think the AMP GIZMO is the best solution for switching channels and using the FX8 in 4CM?

Im from Brazil so I would have to import this device, just need to make sure what to get exactly

Thank you
Works great for me. I have a wet /dry /wet setup.Here is an old vid but most should still apply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErxiALlOv4

Hi BTPA_USA

Thank you
Hi ENetto,

If you want to use all of the switching capabilities on the Mark V - yes, something like the Mini Amp Gizmo would work best as it as 8 function switches. Sure, there are other options for converting the amp signal to MIDI out there (i.e. Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, Sound Sculpture, etc.) but the Mini Amp Gizmo is the only compact 8 function switcher I am aware of.

If you only want to control (4) of the functions (i.e. Channel 2, 3, Solo, and EQ) then we can do a loom with (2) TRS Connectors on the FX8 and (4) TS connectors on the MARK V head for switching. This avoids having to make a very special cable with a PCB in it.

If you wanted switching with a different set of 4 functions, we can make a specialty cable with the PCB in it; however I am not going to lie - it is pretty costly (~$90-100 depending on length).

Back
Top Bottom