Mesa Boogie Mark IV vs Axe-Fx Quantum USA Lead

So, after messing with this some more today, this is what I came up with:

https://soundcloud.com/ad112am/mikkos-mark-iv-test

I apologize for the poor recording quality and the mediocre playing, but I think it shows what the patch can do. I used my ESP/LTD EC401VF w/ a BKP Mule in the bridge and a BKP Riff Raff in the neck. For the wanky bit I added some delay/reverb and a T808 in front with the drive on 0 and the tone and level at noon.

Great post and very informative thread. I had the gain loss on my Ibanez Rg570ex with DiMarzio Steve's Special and Air Norton combo as well. Will try it with another guitar and see what will happen :)

What a great video demonstration with awesome nuggets of information included about the patch. Bravo! I happen to own two Mesa Mark IV’s but currently use the Axe-FX exclusively now because I also love my Marshall and Fender tones as well and this eliminates bringing three rigs out. I used to carry two and that got to be a pain.
I have great respect for those who are open, honest, and willing to share their findings, secrets and solutions. There are a few guys in these forums that are ever present and always willing to help and open to sharing their ideas. I applaud you all for your time and contributions. It is certainly appreciated and noticed. This is an exemplary example of a demonstration with screen shots and explanations. Bass 0 Master 4 forever.
The Axe-FX is such a complex (I should say simple, with complex capabilities) tool with deep programability that it really does take a community of thinkers, users, and guitar fanatics to conquer.
Cheers…

What a great video demonstration with awesome nuggets of information included about the patch. Bravo! I happen to own two Mesa Mark IV’s but currently use the Axe-FX exclusively now because I also love my Marshall and Fender tones as well and this eliminates bringing three rigs out. I used to carry two and that got to be a pain.
I have great respect for those who are open, honest, and willing to share their findings, secrets and solutions. There are a few guys in these forums that are ever present and always willing to help and open to sharing their ideas. I applaud you all for your time and contributions. It is certainly appreciated and noticed. This is an exemplary example of a demonstration with screen shots and explanations. Bass 0 Master 4 forever.
The Axe-FX is such a complex (I should say simple, with complex capabilities) tool with deep programability that it really does take a community of thinkers, users, and guitar fanatics to conquer.
Cheers…

That was extremely nice of you to say. :) Thank you Flying Fingers!

FYI My tone was lacking a little lowend so I put the bass at 1.5 on the amp. Mikko is 100 dead on (as usual) with the bass knob. It is so sensitive on this amp. I added just a little bit of thump with it at 1.5. 3 is too much and 2 is pushing it on my rig. I redid all my patches with these settings in mind and it sounds killer now.

FYI My tone was lacking a little lowend so I put the bass at 1.5 on the amp. Mikko is 100 dead on (as usual) with the bass knob. It is so sensitive on this amp. I added just a little bit of thump with it at 1.5. 3 is too much and 2 is pushing it on my rig. I redid all my patches with these settings in mind and it sounds killer now.

That's awesome Lucas. You can a JP guitar right? It's a brighter guitar than mine. I have a PRS that is quite fat to begin with.

Not really sure why, but I feel like the treble is rolled off when I use the Alloy IR. Sounds too flat compared to Mikko's recording. The 57 IRs sound brighter, but too bright. I've tried my Tyler SE with a hot Motorcity HB and my Les Paul with 8k ish Wolfetones. Any thoughts on why? I've tried resetting sys params and obviously amps. I'm tickling red on input. Maybe my guitars just don't get along with ML IRs, though that would seem odd.

Not really sure why, but I feel like the treble is rolled off when I use the Alloy IR. Sounds too flat compared to Mikko's recording. The 57 IRs sound brighter, but too bright. I've tried my Tyler SE with a hot Motorcity HB and my Les Paul with 8k ish Wolfetones. Any thoughts on why? I've tried resetting sys params and obviously amps. I'm tickling red on input. Maybe my guitars just don't get along with ML IRs, though that would seem odd.
The whole point of having bright and dark IR's is that you can use them to find the right brightness to fit your taste. :) The Alloy IR has many mics blended in it which means it loses the high end clarity. I recommend blending the SM57 with MD421 or R121 and that should be a brightness that works for most people. That being said there's an EQ section in every preamp section which you should ALWAYS fiddle with when you change your IR.

Thanks Mikko. I will maybe try tweaking the highs on the 5 band eq slightly. That said, listening to your recording fresh again, I think maybe I'm just dialling in too much treble and fizz to my presets to get that almost amp in the room feel rather than the more subdued recorded tone. I should probably play for a bit with a backing track and less brightness for a bit, get my ears adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom