• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish MESA BOOGIE JP-2C

Do you want to have Mesa/Boogie JP-2C in the Axe-Fx II - III?

• Yes

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hi fellas,

As a Mesa guy and a huge fan of John Petrucci I'd love to have this great amp on the Axe-Fx, I did a lot of TM with John's videos while he was playing with JP-2C, also spend many many hours to match the tone of it with the existence IIC+ amps in the box but they never gave me the feel of JP2C, to me it's not like any boogie amps in the box, it has it's own tone character and feel

Here's some of my Boogie MarkIIC+ and Mark IV sound clips they're all sounds good to my ears but you know that's not a JP2C kinda of tone and feel.

https://soundcloud.com/hyper-planet/dream-theater-a-new-beginning-riff-section

https://soundcloud.com/hyper-planet/constant-motion-riff-ml-mesa-preset-q-303

https://soundcloud.com/hyper-planet/dream-theater-the-count-of-tuscany-the-first-guitar-solo-cab-pack-23-ml-usa-2x12

https://soundcloud.com/hyper-planet/a-savior-in-the-square-first-melodic-guitar-solo

https://soundcloud.com/hyper-planet/quantum-700-2-mesa-mark-iv-galaxy-metal-riff

Last edited:

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
This is the holy grail of Mesa amps. For me... I feel like the Mesa Mark series amps that I've owned and currently I own the Mark V. They have less low end in the preamp section. I have to raise the input low cut to around 1000hz to get close to my Mark V. This would be a great addition.

yek

Is it for the Axe-Fx II or III?
Because this is posted as an Axe-Fx III wish in the Axe-Fx II section.

P.S. This is the 3rd wish thread you've started for the JP-2C. You can also just bump prior threads instead. ;)

Hyper Planet

Power User
Would love to see this amp since Mesas are my bread and butter and John is one of my favorite players. He sounded excellent the past few times I've seen him with his JP-2C.
It’s John’s singnature amp, He’s actually using it for every situation such as Live, Studio, Clinics...etc,

Last edited:

Hyper Planet

Power User
This is the holy grail of Mesa amps. For me... I feel like the Mesa Mark series amps that I've owned and currently I own the Mark V. They have less low end in the preamp section. I have to raise the input low cut to around 1000hz to get close to my Mark V. This would be a great addition.

Mark V is a huge Mark series amp library, JP2C is GREAT!!!

Hyper Planet

Power User
Is it for the Axe-Fx II or III?
Because this is posted as an Axe-Fx III wish in the Axe-Fx II section.

P.S. This is the 3rd wish thread you've started for the JP-2C. You can also just bump prior threads instead. ;)
Hi Yek Thanks so much for your response ❤

I posted it in Axe-Fx II wish list section,
Yeah I love to have this amp in the box, but this is the first time in my whole membership period in FAS forum that I created a poll ☺, I think there’s still many many rooms for adding amps in II of course it can be in III platform as well

Last edited:

Afex121

Hi Amin jan khoobi dadash? :)

I actually own the real thing, a real JP-2C. I have done several tonematches that I can share if you want, both on my AXE FX II XL+ and recently on Axe III. I haven't been able to do a proper one using a Mic+DI to get it as accurate as possible because I have 2 small kids at home so I'm not able to do a proper IR shoot at home, so I've just done it using the Slave out from the 2C.
Strangely enough the ones I did with AXE II sound closer than the ones I did on AXE III. If I drop the resolution in the AXE III it gets better but otherwise the tone match adds this layered treble frequency that isn't there on the real amp, which is a lot smoother/rounder.
Another thing I discovered is that you get much closer in gain structure and overall sound character to the real JP-2C, using the IIC+ Deep/Bright model, but getting the bass right requires a lot of work! The real amp is very tight despite having huge low-end so that part seems to have been tweaked in all the right places by Mesa.

@Hyper Planet : Kholase age komaki az daste man bar miad begoo :)

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
To match the low end of my Mark V IIC+ mode I can only use one amp sim and that's the IIC++ (Metallica amp sim) and even then I have to use the Axe-Fx III input low cut and turn it up to full. I compared the FX out of my Mark V with the Axe-Fx III amp sims with the power amp modeling off to find this out. None of the Mark series amp sims have that tight low end that my Mark IV and now Mark V has. Luckily I have the real amp and I can compare them and I have a preset that sounds just like my real amp. I just think that it'll be quite a task for someone without a good reference point to try and get that sound out of these amp sims.

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hi Amin jan khoobi dadash? :)

I actually own the real thing, a real JP-2C. I have done several tonematches that I can share if you want, both on my AXE FX II XL+ and recently on Axe III. I haven't been able to do a proper one using a Mic+DI to get it as accurate as possible because I have 2 small kids at home so I'm not able to do a proper IR shoot at home, so I've just done it using the Slave out from the 2C.
Strangely enough the ones I did with AXE II sound closer than the ones I did on AXE III. If I drop the resolution in the AXE III it gets better but otherwise the tone match adds this layered treble frequency that isn't there on the real amp, which is a lot smoother/rounder.
Another thing I discovered is that you get much closer in gain structure and overall sound character to the real JP-2C, using the IIC+ Deep/Bright model, but getting the bass right requires a lot of work! The real amp is very tight despite having huge low-end so that part seems to have been tweaked in all the right places by Mesa.

@Hyper Planet : Kholase age komaki az daste man bar miad begoo :)
MARK IIC+ with different switches engaged are sounds A LOT different than to a real JP-2C the latest IIC+ addition—> IIC++ has low end tightness issue and the overall tonal character, I don’t judge this amps with just plug and play story or a basic tweaking I spend A LOT of hours with this amp sims in order to get that famous aggression and tightness feel of a real JP-2C (working with pre amp bias and Negative feedback parameters ) tweaking with main parameters in speaker tab of the amp block using houndred of premium IRs but at the end of the day I even couldn’t close the real JP-2C

As you can see I made many many sound clips with that amps I believe having JP-2C in Axe-Fx can solve all this issues easily!

I appreciate your suggestions and I’d love to try your JP-2C presets please send em to my gmail address: amin.saffar.hp@gmail.com

Last edited:

Hyper Planet

Power User
To match the low end of my Mark V IIC+ mode I can only use one amp sim and that's the IIC++ (Metallica amp sim) and even then I have to use the Axe-Fx III input low cut and turn it up to full. I compared the FX out of my Mark V with the Axe-Fx III amp sims with the power amp modeling off to find this out. None of the Mark series amp sims have that tight low end that my Mark IV and now Mark V has. Luckily I have the real amp and I can compare them and I have a preset that sounds just like my real amp. I just think that it'll be quite a task for someone without a good reference point to try and get that sound out of these amp sims.
I love to try your golden preset as well

Afex121

Yeah I totally agree. Having the real amp at your disposal is necessary if you want a particular amp's tone. I used to have a Mark IVa shorthead and a Roadster before getting my first Axe II and what sold me on the Axe II in the first place, 6 years ago was how it felt when I set the MkIV model roughly as I used to set my real MkIV. Mind you this was back on FW.9 on AxeII but even then it felt good enough for me let go of my MkIV. I never compared them side by side though but I knew my MkIV well enough to know how it sounded and felt to play.
Now with the JP-2C, it's a totally different story. My first tone match attempt was on my AxeII because I didn't have the III yet. On AxeII, I instinctively chose the C++ model too for same reasons you mentioned and the tone match sounded pretty close, although I must admit I didn't have much time to do a thorough comparison side by side afterwards.
When I got my AxeIII I converted those patches via Fractool and exported the tone matches as wave files. When I imported and set them all up the same way in AxeIII it sounded tinny and almost phasey. So I decided to do another tone match from scratch with AxeIII. The first thing I decided to do was to try and nail the tone as close as possible without the tone match. I started off the way I hade done last time by choosing the C++ model and that's when I discovered how different it felt and sounded to the JP-2C. Just as you say the C++ is much tighter in the bass and a good starting point but the overall character, specially the mids is different. I don't know similar it is to the C+ mode on a MkV since I don't have one to compare, but compared to JP-2C it's quite noticeable. I went through all the different IIC models and the one that comes closest is the Bright/Deep model with the ''fat'' switch engaged. This comes much closer to the midrange character of the JP-2C. Then remains the difficult part of getting the low end right. What I did to come as close as I could was to use the input eq ( I don't remember my exact settings as I'm at work) setting a slight tilted boost in the 430hz range, with a wide Q, then do a hefty low cut and even high cut.

Despite all this and as close I got, it still sounded and felt different (JP-2C feeling more spongy and less stiff) and all the tone match did was to add this layer of treble frequency which made it sound spiky and further away from the real thing. Lowering the resolution on the TM helps a bit though but that doesn't seems right to me. I mean UltraRes should sound better shouldn't it?

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
This is how close I got the Axe-Fx III to my Mark V:

The Axe-Fx II doesn't have the input EQ parameters that are on the Axe-Fx III. I think it's the same as having an EQ in front of the amp block though. So... try the IIC+ with an EQ that has low cut set to 1000hz. I know the frequency seems over the top but it's a mild low cut and it actually gets the preamp really close to the real thing. This is exactly the type of thing that I think most people would never do unless they could compare it to the real thing because it seems so extreme.

Afex121

The Axe-Fx II doesn't have the input EQ parameters that are on the Axe-Fx III. I think it's the same as having an EQ in front of the amp block though. So... try the IIC+ with an EQ that has low cut set to 1000hz. I know the frequency seems over the top but it's a mild low cut and it actually gets the preamp really close to the real thing. This is exactly the type of thing that I think most people would never do unless they could compare it to the real thing because it seems so extreme.
Yeah that's really close. The main difference is exactly the same difference I was talking about in regards to my JP-2C vs Axe IIC. It's the ever so slightly softer, kinda spongier attack/high end transients on the amp. I'm sure many wouldn't even hear it, I'm pretty sure I myself wouldn't hear it in a mix, but I do hear it like this in isolation or maybe because going down that route myself I know what to look/listen for :)

stink

Inspired

Mikko That sounded damn convincing. I’ve never played a real JP-2C but that tight low end sounded fantastically delicious. Given the amount of work you put into it, I don’t suppose you’d care to share? I think I actually have all your cab packs (the GnR is fantastic BTW) so I’m sure I could find an appropriate IR. Again, that sounded damn good!

Top Bottom