Mesa Boogie in DUST

My Mark 4 has not been turned on in 9+ months... The last time I fired up my Tremoverb, the smell of buring dust on the tubes made me think it was going to catch fire!

My last toob amp was a Eggy MOD50 (last in a murderers row of high end amps). After 6 months of it sitting in a corner, figured she needed a home where she'd get love...cause it wasn't coming from me.

And this is a 1st gen Standard, FW 3 or 4.x.

I had always thought I'd keep it around, because at it's peak, it still sounded better, but I became so addicted to going from Fender to Plexi to Recto to VOX...in a single song, there was no turning back.

I have a 2 channel Mesa Triple collecting dust next to a Splawn Quickrod which also is collecting dust which is atop a Marshall JCM800 2205 that also has become a dust attraction device.

Welcome to Fractal ownership, bro !

I have a Mesa Triple that sits also. I actually do try to play it every month or so, but it is so loud I usually can't take it longer than a little while at home.

My dusty Collection:

Mesa Mark V
Carvin V3 (so underrated... Really good Amp!)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Sold these:
JCM 2000 (liked it, but it was a one trick pony for me, and it was the wrong trick most of the time)
JCM 900 (never liked it)

Only the Mark V ever sees any electrons, and never for 'real use' just for kicks from time to time now. It is my all time favorite real-tube machine.

My friends and guys I play with have: VHT Pitbull, Splawn Quickrod, Mesa Road King, JCM 800, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Bogner Ecstasy, and a guy I used to play with had a Silver Jubilee. All of this stuff has been run through the dream list of boutique pedals and high end rack gear. Of the group, I like the Splawn the best, but my tone(s) slays them all now. Really. It does.:p

It's not about which side is real or not on a blind fold test, it's what a single unit can do. After sitting and playing around with my XL, i knew it's over for the mesa. It all started when i bought me a Line 6 Pod HD500X and a QSC K12. Played it live a LOT. No issues. Literally plug and play. More convinience and versatility gain using FRFR setup and tone is neverending exploration. I will make a video of the comparison using all three ( frfr vs poweramp+cab vs amp+cab ) see which sounds best.

All Things Done - Find Me - YouTube

This is me playing with my old setup live. (Line 6 Pod HD500X + QSC K12)

I still have my Mesa Stiletto Deuce II, and I still love it, fantastic amp :) Only downside to it, like with many other tube amps, is the volume it needs to really sing. It's a ridiculously loud amp and I don't want to blow the windows out of my house :D

I'm torn with my Bassman head. It's a rare tuxedo Bassman- a blonde circuit in black tolex, a black faceplate, and cream knobs. Almost all original on the inside. It was built in June of 1964, which means it turns 50 years old any day now! It was the last amp I was going to own, ever. But I haven't turned it on in over a year now... it seems like it should be with someone who should really enjoy and appreciate it, and while I love it for the piece of history it is, it doesn't really get played much anymore. Sigh. First world problems I guess!

Do you guys think it's the end of tube amps? Like on any other technology, is it really axefx now?

Fractal doesn't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have designed the FX8.

I think its been a turning point, but if anything it will be a long, slow change. Tube amps will be around a long while. Some guys still collect vinyl records.

Do you guys think it's the end of tube amps? Like on any other technology, is it really axefx now?

I don't think tube amps will just dissapear, but I do think there will be a gradual decline. Younger generations choosing convenience over quality will lead to more digital units. More digital units will mean higher quality for less money. More people buying digital will mean less tubes will be bought, and less tubes to be bought means price of tubes will go up. Higher prices on tube will mean only the diehard fans and the rich will be able to afford tube amps.

So, I don't think they will go away 100%, but I do think they will be less common for the average person.

Back
Top Bottom