Mesa 4x12 Low Res Frequency?

RockerAlex

Inspired
Title says it all really, I've neither the equipment or money to measure it accurately by myself so I was wondering has anybody found the magic number?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You would be able to get your "sweet spot" of where your speakers are reacting properly to the freq the axe is pushing out. (probably wrong). All i know is that its lower than youd think and most times you wont notice it until you do a sweep. When you feel like the amp has more body or OOMPH, then you're more likely close. But its all subjective. A perfectly resonant cab doesnt necessarily sound better to your ears vs someone elses.

If I am correct Cliff has set the values in every amp to suit the speaker that is the most common for that particular amp.
For example Rectifers are paired with V30 speakers so the lf in the Recto amps should be suitable for V30's.

I agree, this seems to be so important and hard to match when using cabs. The sweep thing is partial to the notes being played as well...

The axe with power amp and cab is still a very hard setup to get just right. Sounds great and works but I'm always toying with it. Been going through different power amps too. The direct tone is pretty much better than micing though IMO...

Which Mesa 4x12? There's about a dozen different ones.

My old "Boogie" 4x12 cab with the Black Shadows is 108.3 Hz.

I had a few OS 412's back in the day, and they were just stupid low. They also didn't measure evenly. I'm going off memory here, but one was right around 90Hz (sounded amazing) and the other was under 70Hz (woofy as fuuuu).

I'm using a standard size at the moment, I was told to stay away from oversized as I can imagine it'd be woofy as hell with an 8 string.

I'm using a standard size at the moment, I was told to stay away from oversized as I can imagine it'd be woofy as hell with an 8 string.

Generally, I would agree with this, although there's a significant difference with what you load in it. Best I ever heard from an OS was G12-100K's in an X pattern with V30's. It was hair metal & modern heavy all at the same time. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom