Mesa 290 question.

BlackFrost

Just picked up a mesa 290 and had a few questions about running it in stereo the way it was designed to work.

I have a mesa oversized cab with 2 stereo 4ohm inputs on the back. Is it worth running both channels on the mesa 290 into it and putting the ultra in stereo? The only other person i have met with this setup ran everything in mono, and only used one channel of the 290.

Is there any adjustments i need to make on the ultra other than putting output 1 mode on stereo?

Sorry if this is a burned out question, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the axe fx world.

Just picked up a mesa 290 and had a few questions about running it in stereo the way it was designed to work.

I have a mesa oversized cab with 2 stereo 4ohm inputs on the back. Is it worth running both channels on the mesa 290 into it and putting the ultra in stereo? The only other person i have met with this setup ran everything in mono, and only used one channel of the 290.

Is there any adjustments i need to make on the ultra other than putting output 1 mode on stereo?

Sorry if this is a burned out question, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the axe fx world.

Great amp but so heavy.
Yes, defiantly go for stereo, I play stereo for so many years and recently added a new amp head forcing me to go mono on its setup, it’s a huge difference, especially when you get used to it and program presets with deferent ping pong delays etc.
The stereo effect will be little as the L+R are very close to each other but still you will still notice it.
Moreover, I don’t think it's to healthy for the 2:90 to run only on one side.
Sound wise, please note something VERY important - the 2:90 has the DEEP function which when engaged, it adds bass. Now…it actually doesn't add bass, it release the bass cut!
When the DEEP is not engaged, the 2:90 cuts a lot of bass frequencies from the overall sound so you want to run DEEP engaged all the time in order to have the full spectrum, otherwise when playing on other setups you will notice that your sound is very boomy.
Learned that the hard way.

An amp nead any kind of resistance / load on its output, even if the volume is set to "0".
I think there is something abput that in the 2:90 manual, would recomand check it.

According to the manual you need a load for BOTH channels. So show the manual to the other person also.

You can leave everything wired for stereo and there is a number of different ways to tell the Axe Fx to send a mono signal to both left/right outputs. (If you choose)

I use to own a TriAxis and 2:90 years ago along with a oversized Mesa 4x12. In the end I did not care for the stereo thing within the one cab. However when running two seperate cabs it was a pretty big sound.

John

Side note. I like to run the 2:90 in deep mode so I took a 90 degree 1/4 cable end and soldered the + and - together and plug it into the 1/4 deep socket on the back of the amp. Being as I have never used it with a Triaxis. BALLZ FOR DAYS!

I love the 2:90 as well! I'm running half 6L6 and half EL34 and with Simul-Class you get tone for days. It doesn't 'hurt' the amp to run single channel, based on what Mesa told me, you just have to turn the other channel level all the way down and turn the presence control all the way up.

Back
Top Bottom