Mesa 20/20, ADA MP-1, Axe-FX Ultra question

clubshred

Hello everyone,

I have been hammering my rig down to just a few choice pieces here and I wanted to get some opinions. I have an Ultra and a Mesa 20/20 that I would run live but I really want a MIDI tube pre. Now I know how popular the 4-cable-method is when using the Ultra and an amp (like a Mark IV or a Triamp) - but what I want to know is if the 4CM is possible with a separate preamp and amp. The reasons for this is so I can add a phaser or an overdrive (from the Ultra) BEFORE the preamp and run things like chorus, reverb and delay AFTER the preamp. So... fellow tone-hounds.... is this possible? Is it necessary? Most of all, I would like the Ultra to be the "nerve center" of my rig so I would like some opinions.

I would run just direct into the Ultra then to the 20/20 but I would like a Tube Preamp.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Xander

clubshred said:
Hello everyone,

I have been hammering my rig down to just a few choice pieces here and I wanted to get some opinions. I have an Ultra and a Mesa 20/20 that I would run live but I really want a MIDI tube pre. Now I know how popular the 4-cable-method is when using the Ultra and an amp (like a Mark IV or a Triamp) - but what I want to know is if the 4CM is possible with a separate preamp and amp. The reasons for this is so I can add a phaser or an overdrive (from the Ultra) BEFORE the preamp and run things like chorus, reverb and delay AFTER the preamp. So... fellow tone-hounds.... is this possible? Is it necessary? Most of all, I would like the Ultra to be the "nerve center" of my rig so I would like some opinions.

I would run just direct into the Ultra then to the 20/20 but I would like a Tube Preamp.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Xander

Just put you favorite tube preamp in the AFX loop. Done.

Getting the right levels is critical.

Mik.

Tube snobbery alert!!!!

Kidding!!!

The Ultra sounds so much better than all the other preamps I had I always wonder: "Why exactly is that?..."
But I totally believe you get something from that MP-1 you don't get from your Ultra. Yet. It'll come to you.

Any guitar amp always has a preamp and a power amp. Just they're built into one box. Having them seperate makes no difference whatsoever.

And whatch those levels.

Hi Xander,

I was going to do the same thing as you with my Triaxis & 20/20. Now I just use the Ultra into the 20/20 & have more options. I started with the Tri & 4 cable method but found it very easy to copy (& improve on the Tri) so now i use just the Ultra into a 20/20. You have to prove this for yourself though otherwise you will never be sure. I don't know how easy it is to copy the ADA sounds maybe someone else would know. Anyway the Ultra does the 4 cable method no problem.

Paul

Dutch said:
Tube snobbery alert!!!!

Kidding!!!

The Ultra sounds so much better than all the other preamps I had I always wonder: "Why exactly is that?..."
But I totally believe you get something from that MP-1 you don't get from your Ultra. Yet. It'll come to you.

Any guitar amp always has a preamp and a power amp. Just they're built into one box. Having them seperate makes no difference whatsoever.

And whatch those levels.

Ha ha! Nice!

Actually - some people on here that know me personally will tell you I am the LAST person who is a tube snob. I rocked with a Line 6 Flextone II for years and I had the warmest tubey-tone out of that thing - I had it dialed in to where it sounded just huge on a recording...

Anyway, this is good to hear and the only reason that I am not running just directly into the Axe-FX --> Mesa 20/20 is because I truly miss the sound of the ADA. There was always something about those that just sounded so damn good. That and the fact that I think it would just be cool as hell to run a preamp in the loop of the Axe-FX where for years we were told to run an item like the Axe-FX in the loop of the preamp.... strange how times have changed!!!

Thank you folks for your input...

Xander

aircadet said:
Hi Xander,

I was going to do the same thing as you with my Triaxis & 20/20. Now I just use the Ultra into the 20/20 & have more options. I started with the Tri & 4 cable method but found it very easy to copy (& improve on the Tri) so now i use just the Ultra into a 20/20. You have to prove this for yourself though otherwise you will never be sure. I don't know how easy it is to copy the ADA sounds maybe someone else would know. Anyway the Ultra does the 4 cable method no problem.

Paul

Paul,

I believe that the re-sale on an ADA is very acceptable. I would prefer to get an MP-1 Classic though - they're a little tougher to find because I think that people don't let go of them as much but I am willing to hold out. So, even if I do invest in it, and my tone is better just by going thru the Ultra, then I'll just turn around and sell it. Right now, my current rig is as follows:

Guitar -> EB Volume pedal -> Crybaby rack DCR-2SR -> Fractal Ultra -> 4CM (ADA MP-1 (not purchased yet)) -> Mesa 20/20 --> H & K 4 X 12

I use a Rocktron All Access LTD with a 7-pin cable to be powered from the Ultra. I will use this in "Access mode" with a few patches on the bottom buttons and instant access on the top ones...

It's pretty simple. No need for noise gates, compressors, a PatchMate and all that crap I guess. Again, the idea is just to be able to do the 4CM with this stuff to make sure I can run modulation EFX and the like in front of a preamp like we're "supposed to" ;)

Thanks again!

Xander

I use a ADA MP-1 3TM in a seperate set up. You should search Finstah's post since he uses a MP-1 modded 3TM in his set up. If you need help just PM him here or on the ADADEPOT site. (He is a mod there)

Back
Top Bottom