MESA 2:90 vs VHT 2/50/2

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
looking for opinions on whether it's worth it for me to sell my mesa 2:90 and get the vht 2/50/2. I will be using with traditional cab setup. aside from the obvious power difference (less is actually better for me) can anyone comment on the advantage of one vs the other with respects to pairing with the Axe Fx. The mesa is great in so many ways; however, I find the coloring is getting to me...at the same time i love the 'oomph' and bottom end the mesa seems to provide...have no idea if the vht will do the same for me minus significant coloring'. also, reliablity? I've heard issues with the VHT's...but not sure how much stock to put in this. Actual users can attest to this.

thanks

I used to use Mesa power amps and have recently moved to a VHT 2902. The Mesa 2:90 is a good amp, but it has that sag and voicing that you just cannot get rid of. I find the VHT is a much more transparent amp, and most people seem to love the VHT 2/50 with the Axe. I would go with VHT if I were you. Hope this helps.

If you do end up switching to the VHT, please let us know what you think. I just switch from a Carvin DCM600 solid state, to a Mesa 2:90 and I friggin love the thing!

If you do end up switching to the VHT, please let us know what you think. I just switch from a Carvin DCM600 solid state, to a Mesa 2:90 and I friggin love the thing!

definitely will. I started out with the mesa 2:90 so don't know any different tbh. murphy's law...I'll try other solutions and end up realizing i had it all along:) the 2:90 is friggin awesom no doubt and it has it's own thing goin for sure. I am looking for a 'flatter' response but will likely loose that punch/depth from the mesa I imagine. I think my problem sometimes is just chasing the idea of tone...my addiction. and when i get a 'fix' I am still wanting:) i was like that with amps/modellers but have been cured of that since my Ultra came to my door. now just need to figure out my amp/cab path...even been considering the FR atomic active cabs--two to run in stereo. as you can see my mind is a bit all over right now considering all options.

Hi there,

I had both of those power amps until recently when I sold the VHT that I never used as a back up. I think after using the 2:90 you will be disappointed with the VHT. You indeed will lose a ton of bottom end & warmth with the VHT. I found the VHT to be quite brittle & harsh in comparison to the Mesa. I run the 2:90 in stereo with a pair of 2x12 recto cabs & it is heaven!

Curious, are you guys running amp sims on our off with the mesa? Yeah I just sent back a VHT 2:90:2, didnt care for it at all. Just a very sterile sound. Still havent found anything that beats my little Atomic MB-50 power amp. I have a Mesa 50:50 but it didnt sound good with amp sims on. Hence the reason I love the atomic.

I use mesa 50/50. It sounds great in every application. My taste of course. I´ll keep my setup because i like it with my cabs. I don´t know how much it "colors" the sound. Maybe that is what i like. I like the sound i get, so i don´t mess it up.

It´s all these small and big things that stops us from getting the exact same basic sound out of the Axe. (If you don´t take fingers and playing into it). If anyone has the numbers of possible settings in the Axe, i would like to see that number... All those parameters, all those amps, all those FX and cabs (just in the box). Then you got; all the power amps, all the cabs, ir´s, all the PA-systems, mixers, cabels, mics, fingers, picks, guitars, pickups etc etc..

So anyone who is afraid that Axe/modeling users; "are all gonna sound the same", should just play on or go to sleep :)

Again, its horses for courses. I did own a Mesa fifty/fifty before I got my VHT 2/50/2. The Mesa did colour the tone more and had decidedly more kick and oomph to the bottom end. but for me it was just too loud, with not enough 'useable' volume. I barely ever got the thing past No.3 on the volume, even in lo-power mode. The VHT (for me) has more clarity, and I can happily put the volume up to beyond halfway without deafening everybody. Yes, less bottom end, but more overall warmth. I still have a soft spot for the mesa sound, If i ever got another one, I'd likely get the 2:ninety. But then the Fryette 2/90/2 is also a tempting proposition.

The VHT is a little more brittle, and harsh compared to the 2:90 - but thats because its more neutral. its not adding the extra oomph that the Mesa is. Its a personal thing TBH. The VHT is the more neutral amp - its closer to a Ss response than the Mesa and you may not like that. if not though, the thing you LIKE about the Mesa is actually the COLOUR its adding.

In my opinion the VHT is the better option because if you WANT that colour you can add it in the Axe. If however you use the Mesa and want to LOOSE that colour - you cant.

More than happy with the oomph my 2:50:2 gives me though TBH.

I have a Fryette 2/50/2 that I've had for about 4 months. I like it and I'll tell you a little story behind it.

I called a music store some distance from me who carried Fryette and asked if they had a 2/50/2 and a 2/90/2 in stock. The guy said yes and asked what kind of music do you play. I said classic rock, blues-rock with jazz sauce, a little country-rock and he said ' you won't like the 2/90/2'. I tried not to sound indignant when I asked why. He said he played the same kind of music I did (old school) and he was a big Fryette fan and plays two Fryette amps. His discription of the 2/90/2 was 'sterile - but the metal guys love it - it sounds like a SS amp to me' (his words).

So I went to the store with my Axe FX and played through both amps into two Fryette 4x12s (talk about amp-in-the-room feel). I a very short time I agreed the 2/90/2 was not for me. Nothing wrong with the sound - it just had this huge precussive (concussive?) beginning to the note envelope that was not what I was into. So I concentrated on the 2/50/2. Sound great - especially into two 4x12 cabs. But I was sitting on the fence because I had two K12's at home (sound great), a velocity 300 (sounds very good - not quite great) and a Mesa Blue Angel that I used sometimes for a little tube mojo. I REALLY didn't need this amp. I think the salesguy sensed I was not sure so he said 'Let me show you a little trick Steve Fryette told me about'.
He proceeded to put the 2/50/2 into Class A mode, switched the transformer taps in the rear to 4 ohm on both sides with two 8 ohm cabs plugged in and switched it off standby.

I played a bit............ and a huge grin came across my face. There was the most bouncy, saggy, chewy, shimmery old amp tone than I have heard in a long time. I quickly switched to a Brownface patch and I was into old Fender heaven - it sounded SO cool. You could really dig in to the notes and it would bloom. SOLD!!! I sez'.

Now the metal guys won't want this but there was a sound (and feel) I just hadn't gotten from any amp in a long time! I hab a Mesa Mk IV for 18 years and loved it but it never came close to this.

So -- there you have it. Thats my testamony. I never heard a amp with KT88's - now I have and I didn't care for it. I can see why the metal guys would, though.

P.S. Just because I'm an incorrigable tweaker I put Winged C EL34's into the 2/50/2. So sweet!

P.S.P.S. - My old Mk IV had a Simul-Class output section like the Mesa 2/90. I LOVE that sound!
Limiting - maybe but a great sound. But for me - just too heavy and too loud and too many tubes. I'm trying to get away from moving big heavy objects! The Fryette 2/50/2 is heavy enough!

Last edited:
I used to use Mesa power amps and have recently moved to a VHT 2902. The Mesa 2:90 is a good amp, but it has that sag and voicing that you just cannot get rid of. I find the VHT is a much more transparent amp, and most people seem to love the VHT 2/50 with the Axe. I would go with VHT if I were you. Hope this helps.

The 2/90/2 with its KT88 powersection and near 100W per side handling capabilities is indeed a very transparent amp. I bought mine to run my Mako Mak4 preamp - the designer of which stated powersection sag/saturation was a detriment to his preamp's design, so the 2/90/2 was bought for this very reason. It runs my preamp amazingly well.

I bought the Ultra as an effects unit and found I was delving into the amp sims almost immediately. I've been using the amp sims (both pre and power) through this 2/90/2 in cab-off mode. It rich, toneful, and awesome sounding. Interestingly enough, I tried the set up without the power section of the amp sims and it sounded anemic. This probably has more to do with the fact I didn't give myself a lot of time to tweak the set up to be strictly preamp sim into poweramp; so it goes, when I've heard so much good stuff coming out of it as it was, why bother LOL. ANYWAY - the point being, the 2/90/2 has so much headroom, I believe this 'excessive' headroom allows for what could be called 'transparency & neutrality'. The 2/50/2 does have more color to it, period.

Peace,
V.

Hi there,

I had both of those power amps until recently when I sold the VHT that I never used as a back up. I think after using the 2:90 you will be disappointed with the VHT. You indeed will lose a ton of bottom end & warmth with the VHT. I found the VHT to be quite brittle & harsh in comparison to the Mesa. I run the 2:90 in stereo with a pair of 2x12 recto cabs & it is heaven!

I have a 2x12 recto cab and am considering getting a second cab to run stereo. what speakers are in your cabs? both the same? I like the v30's for many sounds but would like to have a second cab to compliment the cleans better.

Curious, are you guys running amp sims on our off with the mesa? Yeah I just sent back a VHT 2:90:2, didnt care for it at all. Just a very sterile sound. Still havent found anything that beats my little Atomic MB-50 power amp. I have a Mesa 50:50 but it didnt sound good with amp sims on. Hence the reason I love the atomic.

Although probably unnecessary, I've been using power amp sims with my mesa. No rhyme or reason but sounds good to me at times.

The VHT is a little more brittle, and harsh compared to the 2:90 - but thats because its more neutral. its not adding the extra oomph that the Mesa is. Its a personal thing TBH. The VHT is the more neutral amp - its closer to a Ss response than the Mesa and you may not like that. if not though, the thing you LIKE about the Mesa is actually the COLOUR its adding.

In my opinion the VHT is the better option because if you WANT that colour you can add it in the Axe. If however you use the Mesa and want to LOOSE that colour - you cant.

More than happy with the oomph my 2:50:2 gives me though TBH.

all good points really. true the term 'color' can be negative or positive depending on the charateristic it's providing. Much like seeing you're mother-in-law driving over the cliff in your brand new cadillac convertible, there's a real mix of emotions goin on:) Love the oomph and bottom end the mesa gives (likely that inherent smilie face eq built into the p.a.) but with that comes the other coloring which i can only describe as nasal--like a cocked wah sound if that makes sense; actually I only really notice that on my high b and e strings when played open..usually while I'm tuning is when it becomes apparent.

It sounds like the VHT like everything else out there in the gear universe has mixed reviews. But it certainly sounds 'flatter' than the mesa; almost more towards the SS spectrum; which begs the other debate: VHT vs ____ SS amp. I've read a few threads about that.

I have a 2:90 and I love it. It imparts a natural sweetness that just makes everything sound awesome. If you want a neutral amp, go with a solid state power amp. My opinion is that if you are using a tube power amp, your using it for a reason. Everyone is going to have their own opinion as to which one is best but either way, your rig will sound awesome.

I know this form is old as all can be, but my research on this exact same topic lead me here.

I am thinking about getting VHT 2/90/2 (the original version with the VHT logo and not the newer with the freyett logo)

I have an axe mark II. My set up is as follows:

Power amp sim OFF
CAB Sim OFF

Power amp I'm using is Mess 2/100/2
Im using A Real Mesa Flat front closed back Cab 4x12's with stocked speakers.

I'm going to be listing the Mesa 2/100/2 for sale on eBay. I must say, this was my first power amp and I am absolutely happy with it and it gives me an amazing boom and color. However, I'm looking to experience a pre--amp that won't color the tone and see if I can have a more versatile experience giving me the choice to add and lessen color to tone. But, I'm afaird that I'll loose the balls and power that I am getting from the 2/100/2 if I decide to get the VHT 2/90/2.. I dont want to regret selling the already hard to find power amp I have as it's already rare as is....

The 2/90/2 is easy and all over the place but not the 2/100/2. And for clarity, I'm not talking about the preamp recorder.. that can be used in conjunction with 2/100/2 as an option. But nowadays, people get axe's with a good power amp.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have 2 2/90's, I had the voicing circuits removed, the power supply beefed up, with all 6L6's. I wanted the biggest, clean tube power amp sound I could get, and that's what I got. They have nice smooth, open top end and when pushed a little they get rounder and have very big, tight low end. The VHT amps and power amps I've played through sounded very clear and loud, but also a little grainy and occasionally harsh and just not as big/round as my 2/90's...

Last edited:
I know this form is old as all can be, but my research on this exact same topic lead me here.

I am thinking about getting VHT 2/90/2 (the original version with the VHT logo and not the newer with the freyett logo)

I have an axe mark II. My set up is as follows:

Power amp sim OFF
CAB Sim OFF

Power amp I'm using is Mess 2/100/2
Im using A Real Mesa Flat front closed back Cab 4x12's with stocked speakers.

I'm going to be listing the Mesa 2/100/2 for sale on eBay. I must say, this was my first power amp and I am absolutely happy with it and it gives me an amazing boom and color. However, I'm looking to experience a pre--amp that won't color the tone and see if I can have a more versatile experience giving me the choice to add and lessen color to tone. But, I'm afaird that I'll loose the balls and power that I am getting from the 2/100/2 if I decide to get the VHT 2/90/2.. I dont want to regret selling the already hard to find power amp I have as it's already rare as is....

The 2/90/2 is easy and all over the place but not the 2/100/2. And for clarity, I'm not talking about the preamp recorder.. that can be used in conjunction with 2/100/2 as an option. But nowadays, people get axe's with a good power amp.

Any thoughts?

My gear doesn’t line up exactly but I do have a Fryette 2/50/2 and I also have a Mesa Dual Rectifier and have run the Axe FX into the power amp before.

The Recto power amp, (and the 2:100 as they’re the same) adds a ton of color, is really huge sounding, and has that recto sag and thump. That is amazing if I want to sound like a Recto, but the problem is you can’t really dial it out. It just makes everything sound like a Recto. And if I want to sound like I’m playing a Recto, I’ll just use my recto. Also can’t run power amp models on, as the Recto Power amp is too coloured, things get weird since it’s like double-power amp.

The 2/50/2 on the other hand is much more neutral. With the presence between 0 and 9:00 and the depth off, it’s almost neutral. Still a slight mid scoop. So in this way I can run power amp models on. Though I do prefer using the presence / depth / voicing controls as needed, and just turning the speaker page high/low res down or off. Though again this doesn’t work for all models, some stuff works fine with power amp models on, and some stuff not so much. It can be fiddley to get it set up and sounding good, but it can sound very good.

My favourite at this point is just to use a matrix solidstate amp. The 2/50/2 might have a bit more punch (Recto Power amp has the most punch but also the most coloured), but the matrix is just a lot easier to set up, most versatile, everything more or less sounds as intended.

I have owned the 2:90 and the 2/50/2 and the Fryette was better with the AXE FX.

These days, for what it's worth, I use the ASC12 and I've never been happier.

Back
Top Bottom