Merging two cabs into one

negativefx

Inspired
Howdy,

Basic question about cabs: I have two cabs in parallel right now that I'd like to merge into a single cab block to reduce CPU and/or allow for a third. Can this be done without an additional product like Cab Lab?

Thanks!

Place a synth before the cab block set to white or pink noise and tracking off.
Do a tonematch (in live mode to have it in ultrares) using the output of the cab block as the reference sound and the output of the synth (without the cab block) as the local sound.
Export the tonematch in a user cab slot.

Ps: be sure to turn off every type of processing in the cab block (Hi and lo cuts, proximity, preamp, etc..)

Yeah the white noise trick can work, but keep in mind that IR's are mono. If you have your two cabs panned for stereo separation, that will be lost when combining them into a single IR.

Place a synth before the cab block set to white or pink noise and tracking off.
Do a tonematch (in live mode to have it in ultrares) using the output of the cab block as the reference sound and the output of the synth (without the cab block) as the local sound.
Export the tonematch in a user cab slot.

Ps: be sure to turn off every type of processing in the cab block (Hi and lo cuts, proximity, preamp, etc..)
Just curious what does the synth block do that's working here?

I tried the synth route from DLC and it seems to work great! The resulting cab exported from tma did come out a bit more quiet than the original but after bumping up the levels, it sounds identical to the dual cabs. I'm guessing there's a stereo/mono type difference here that I'll look into but in general, the synth process seems to do the trick.

I tried the synth route from DLC and it seems to work great! The resulting cab exported from tma did come out a bit more quiet than the original but after bumping up the levels, it sounds identical to the dual cabs. I'm guessing there's a stereo/mono type difference here that I'll look into but in general, the synth process seems to do the trick.
Yes that's the only downside of this method, I don't know what's causing the level drop but the exported IR is always ~6dB quieter.

If you capture it with Voxengo deconvolver you won't experience this issue but the process is a bit more cumbersome if you've never done it.

Yes that's the only downside of this method, I don't know what's causing the level drop but the exported IR is always ~6dB quieter.

If you capture it with Voxengo deconvolver you won't experience this issue but the process is a bit more cumbersome if you've never done it.

Ok, so good to know it's not just something I did. It's really not an issue for me... I run such a hot signal into the setup that I'm typically running -18dB levels. I can bump up to -12dB now! :)

I checked out deconvolver... seems easy enough. I'll give it a shot tonight.

I did a similar thing, where i did a tone match black after my cab block. Captured the sound, removed the cab, did the tone match and violá!! Then i simply converted the tonematch to an IR within axedit.

I might have done if from the machine then ;) It's quite a long time since i made the IR (which is still my goto IR). I don't use cab lab or any other IR manipulators, so it was def either axedit or the front panel :).

Back
Top Bottom