Merging Presets in Axe Fx III

You can copy channels or blocks to clipboard, or save blocks into your block library. But I don’t think there is a dedicated merge presets function at this time.

How should this work? When merging i. e. two presets with two different amps each will the Axe decide witch two amps will survive the merging?
What about complex and different input- and output-configurations between two presets? Which settings will be the existing after merge?
I doubt the usability of this idea.

How should this work? When merging i. e. two presets with two different amps each will the Axe decide witch two amps will survive the merging?
What about complex and different input- and output-configurations between two presets? Which settings will be the existing after merge?
Yes, it’s a good question.

I think that is pretty complicated, depending upon what you want to merge. Usually, for me, it's just adding an amp and maybe a cabinet to another existing preset, e.g. clean amp with a dirty amp. I save the amp and cab, each, to my block library, and then put them into the preset on another channel, and it's done.

Correct.

It's not something that software can do because there are too many possible situations where the human would need to intervene and too many ways for the software to get it wrong. And, even if it could manage to blend two presets, the user would still have to figure out what had been done when the software found an existing assigned channel for a block or connectors in the grid, or the same block and channel but different settings.

I think it’s possible. One preset could easily be above another 🤣
This would only be possible with two very basic presets. Which can be done manually as described above.

You are making an assumption about how presets are laid out. There are very complicated routings that are possible. Using many blocks, and many rows, not leaving enough for merging with another preset. There are also potential 'phase' issues when merging dual paths that have to be dealt with. Possible controller conflicts, etc.....

I would love to see the ability to select multiple blocks for copying and pasting (with a warning when the modified preset doesn't have the resources available)

This would only be possible with two very basic presets. Which can be done manually as described above.

You are making an assumption about how presets are laid out. There are very complicated routings that are possible. Using many blocks, and many rows, not leaving enough for merging with another preset. There are also potential 'phase' issues when merging dual paths that have to be dealt with. Possible controller conflicts, etc.....

I would love to see the ability to select multiple blocks for copying and pasting (with a warning when the modified preset doesn't have the resources available)
True. Global settings could do some of the work. Yes on the warnings. I’m not making any assumptions.

It's not that difficult to imagine how this would work: In AxEdit you draw a lasso around some blocks and do a "copy". Any blocks and connections between those blocks inside the lasso get copied to the clipboard and you could then paste that "subset of a preset" into another preset.

One problem with this is the AxeFX unfortunately has a fixed limit on the number of each type of block, so you'd often run into that limit. A more flexible design would be to allow any number of each type of block up to the cpu limit. That would allow the paste to work as long as the cpu limit isn't exceeded.

OTOH, if you're just trying to merge two simple presets, the current limitations on number of block types, number of rows, and cpu probably wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Maybe merge 2 blank presets?

The results will be more if Dark Matter exists.

Make that Dark Energy 🤔

On white paper merging would be useful as would copying scenes from one preset to another BUT what a PITA for the developers just with the warning flags that would have to pop up and then the tech support dealing with the aftermath of merges-gone-bad. I merged two Steve Stevens presets after noticing they were laid out near identical. It involved copying one block over that was missing and then creating two scenes using A blocks for one and B for the other. Then copying the blocks from one preset to the other.

It took some time and it worked well and was educational but it did expose how difficult automation of this process would be.

I personally would like to take my preset and merge it with another complete preset. So, that both would be seperated completely in a seperate path but in one preset. Like building a preset with two amps side by side. How you guys are thinking about it isn’t what I’m thinking. And yes, if you were just going to randomly merge two presets that would be nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom